ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 146 of 207
« First < 4696136142143144145146 147148149150156196 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any Bourbon drinkers out there?
The Poz 01:04 PM 06-19-2008
I've heard some good things about Buffalo Trace Bourbon.
http://www.buffalotrace.com/

Can't get it up here north of the border but, through a wine distributer I am able to order a case. Would like to hear from someone who knows their stuff and has tried it before I order.

Thanks
[Reply]
phisherman 09:53 PM 05-14-2020
Glenfiddich 12 is another nice single malt that can be had for around $40. It's a super easy drinker.

Personally, I would spring for Bruichladdich Classic Laddie or Bunnahabhain 12 for your next step. They have a little bit more character and complexity.
[Reply]
srvy 11:02 PM 05-14-2020
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
FIFY

Another American institution bought by the Japanese.

[Reply]
Marcellus 06:45 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
The DW 12 is a really great Scotch in that $50-60 range. Probably one of the best. If you like it and ever want to branch out I'd say the Cragganmore 12 and the Glenmorangie 10 would be worth a flyer. Similar profile to the DoubleWood but more mature is the Bowmore Darkest, but it's about $15-20 more. :-)
Ive had a lot of different scotch some years ago I got into that before bourbon, plenty of Glenmorangie I was picking that up for $30 a bottle for quite a while at a local place.

Not sure if I have had Cragganmore though so Ill check it out.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 07:51 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Started on the EH Taylor. This is very impressive seems like the first half second of a sip doesnt taste like much then I get almost a mixture of a wheaty nut taste, then it gets warm and boom a tangerine orangesh taste. Definitely has more character than the shit I usually drink lol. This is a good one to sip on.
Thought you'd like it. It's big brother Single Barrel was our playoff tailgate bourbon one year.

It's a $45-50 bottle, but can be hard to find at times.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:50 AM 05-15-2020
Hey Pablo,

Care to list some bourbons you’ve tried so I can send samples of things you’ve never had? Or I can post list of what I have and you can choose?
[Reply]
Lilmrp117 11:21 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
I know for a fact we have Eagle Rare and I'm pretty sure we have the Craig Barrel proof too. Dont know about the other 2 I havent looked obviously.

Do you recommend trying all of these neat or will something like the Elijah Craig barrel proof need a splash of water or a single cube?
Elijah Craig barrel proof is probably my favorite one that I can find regularly. I used to just drink it neat because I was afraid of diluting the flavor, but then I tried a little water (just a splash though) and found it actually brings out more flavor. I also read an interview of Fred Booker Noe where he said that his dad recommended adding a little water to Booker's. So I figure if the guy who basically started the barrel proof trend intended for water to be added then that might be the better way to drink it.

The best thing to me about barrel proof bourbon is that you can control how strong you want it instead of allowing the distillery to water it down for you. If you don't like it neat, just keep adding water until you like it. if you never reach a point when you like it, then maybe you don't dislike that bourbon because it's "too strong" - maybe you just don't like that particular bourbon at all.
[Reply]
Pablo 11:59 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Hey Pablo,

Care to list some bourbons you’ve tried so I can send samples of things you’ve never had? Or I can post list of what I have and you can choose?
Well, I can run through a mental list of what I know I've bought/tried: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Blantons, Bookers, diff Woodfords, diff Old Grandads, diff Knob Creeks, diff Makers, diff Builletts, Basil Haydens, Larceny, Russells Reserve, The Burning Chair off the top of my head all in the last couple years. Typically keep my purchases in the $30-40 range, might run up over $50 if I'm feeling frisky but I can typically find what I like in that price range.

I know I've never tried anything in the Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Wellers or Wild Turkey lines. Had the cheapest Four Roses but none of the others. Usually drink neat, maybe a splash of water but if not I'll do Manhattans, Old Fashioneds or maybe a Moscow Mule with some of the cheaper, less exciting stuff.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 04:23 PM 05-15-2020
Four Rose Single Barrel should be in your future.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:11 PM 05-15-2020
Tried some of that Wathens and really wasnt a fan at all. Then tried some of the Eagle Rare and it was pretty good . Elijah Craig is all thats left but I'm buying a bottle of that EH Taylor for the fights tomorrow night.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:27 PM 05-15-2020
Woodford Reserve 1 ltr Kentucky Derby edition is my weekend pull. I like it a lot, neat, shaved ice, or with Coke.

I mentioned it in a post a few months back....
[Reply]
srvy 07:49 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Lilmrp117:
Elijah Craig barrel proof is probably my favorite one that I can find regularly. I used to just drink it neat because I was afraid of diluting the flavor, but then I tried a little water (just a splash though) and found it actually brings out more flavor. I also read an interview of Fred Booker Noe where he said that his dad recommended adding a little water to Booker's. So I figure if the guy who basically started the barrel proof trend intended for water to be added then that might be the better way to drink it.

The best thing to me about barrel proof bourbon is that you can control how strong you want it instead of allowing the distillery to water it down for you. If you don't like it neat, just keep adding water until you like it. if you never reach a point when you like it, then maybe you don't dislike that bourbon because it's "too strong" - maybe you just don't like that particular bourbon at all.
Some Bourbons open up with a splash of water or a cube of ice. IMO Old Forrester single barrel is one. Drinken neat many refer to it as Old Turpentine but add a cube or a splash it mellows and becomes satisfying in a strange way.
[Reply]
srvy 07:55 PM 05-15-2020
I have always liked the Bakers over Bookers and its always 5 to 10 bucks cheaper.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 08:08 PM 05-15-2020
I have friends in the industry (Glazers) who say they were big fans of Baker's years back, now, not so much.

Bookers changed when they sold out.I will not pay the price
[Reply]
srvy 08:23 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
The DW 12 is a really great Scotch in that $50-60 range. Probably one of the best. If you like it and ever want to branch out I'd say the Cragganmore 12 and the Glenmorangie 10 would be worth a flyer. Similar profile to the DoubleWood but more mature is the Bowmore Darkest, but it's about $15-20 more. :-)
That's the thing about Scotch when you find a decent 50 dollar bottle you think you really accomplished something.

You can find nice bottles of Bourbon under 30 dollars. The fun is in the search I enjoy that sadly its popularity drives it up fast.

I don't buy much Scotch I acquire it for under budget and ahead of schedule and end construction after parties. Most especially peat monsters I give away. I tend to keep the ones that the flavor resembles bourbon. Bunnahabhain 12, Gordon&Macphail Collection Orkney 8yo, Oban 14 and I have kept a bottle of Kilchoman for the peat monster lovers that I keep because of the bottle and box it cool.

This is probably trash to you scotch lovers and given to the lowly project surveyor I don't know. :-)
[Reply]
Lilmrp117 09:46 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
I have friends in the industry (Glazers) who say they were big fans of Baker's years back, now, not so much.

Bookers changed when they sold out.I will not pay the price
Bookers is worth it for $50-60 which is hard to find these days. For socal people, i believe K and L sells it for $60 when they have it. Most of the time, I'd rather spend the $60 on elijah craig barrel proof instead.
[Reply]
Page 146 of 207
« First < 4696136142143144145146 147148149150156196 > Last »
Up