ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Media Center>Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
TwistedChief 07:29 PM 12-20-2018
I'll admit that I don't think CP is a place that would normally appreciate a show like this that's based on 1950s/1960s Jews in NYC. But - it's on Amazon Prime and the second season was just released, and it's the most brilliantly written show I've ever encountered wherever you come from. Smart, funny, EVERYTHING. Incredible casting.

My top five all time that this is trying to break into (as perspective):

Seinfeld
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Black Mirror

If this gets one of you gentiles to consider watching, I'll say it's a success.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:07 PM 12-20-2018
Fine. I'll take a look.

I am very much a gentile.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:17 PM 12-20-2018
It is a fantastic show. Wife and I decided to watch because we love stand-up and we plowed through the entire first season in about 3 days.

I'm always hesitant about a show's second season because they often fail to recapture the magic that the first had. That said, we are waiting until all episodes are available so we can just smash through it.
[Reply]
007 11:31 PM 12-20-2018
This show is awesome. Started season 1 last year when it dropped and couldn't stop. Season 2 was blasted through in a day. Great show.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:45 AM 12-21-2018
I can see how Maisel might not be for everyone, but it is exceedingly difficult to argue that it isn't expertly made.

If I were to try to generate what complaints against it would be, it would be that it's twee, busy and talky. But that's Amy Sherman-Palladino's style, and it's a great way to efficiently and movingly tell a story, in the night hands.

It's very 50s, very New York. It's Capra-esque and also quite old-school Howard Hawks with the rapid-fire dialog of His Girl Friday. If you've seen Gilmore Girls, you are ready for it [GG scripts were notoriously twice as long as most 42 minute dramas]. Sorkin tries to do it on occasion [walk and talks], but rarely as elegantly.

It's decidedly 'white' aspiring Jewish, with a lot of 'privilege' on display. I mean, it's the story of a pampered and sheltered young wife moving back home with mommy and daddy [and servants], who leaves the kids with the help to slink out and try to become a standup comic on the sly. Papa is a professor. Mama is a 50s housewife with the attendant obsession with society standing and wistful dreams of spending her life studying art in Paris.

And the entire thing kind of walks a line between perfectly perfect and too perfect. Period details are visually stunning and engrossing, but all the peripheral characters are there to serve the narrative. It's very 'broadway play' in that way [the butcher, the baker, the beat cop, . . . everyone knows the central characters and interacts with them to propel the story forward. . . Tidy].

But it's also dizzyingly constructed so that you only notice if you are of a mind to gripe. Kind of like you can simply enjoy a musical, or sit and stew wondering 'why are people singing all their dialog?!?!'

Brosnahan is the undisputed center of the show, but all the central characters are well constructed. Tony Shalhoub as her father and Kevin Pollack as her father-in-law are particularly good and get meaty moments aplenty.

And perhaps the best part of the entire show is, Maisel is a comedienne who is actually written FUNNY. She's not the fake stilted funny of the usual dramatization of a comedian, written by a non-standup. Her standup bits hold up against actual standups, whether of that era or even today. By the time you're through the episodes, you believe this is a person who could 'make it' in actual showbiz.

Also, when her family vacationed in the Catskills, there was an outfit that was so jaw-droppingly hot I had to screencap it for posterity. So, if nothing else, it's worth watching for the eye-candy.
Attached: Mrs. Maisel.jpg (39.2 KB) 
[Reply]
007 04:54 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I can see how Maisel might not be for everyone, but it is exceedingly difficult to argue that it isn't expertly made.

If I were to try to generate what complaints against it would be, it would be that it's twee, busy and talky. But that's Amy Sherman-Palladino's style, and it's a great way to efficiently and movingly tell a story, in the night hands.

It's very 50s, very New York. It's Capra-esque and also quite old-school Howard Hawkes with the rapid-fire dialog of His Girl Friday. If you've seen Gilmore Girls, you are ready for it [GG scripts were notoriously twice as long as most 42 minute dramas]. Sorkin tries to do it on occasion [walk and talks], but rarely as elegantly.

It's decidedly 'white' aspiring Jewish, with a lot of 'privilege' on display. I mean, it's the story of a pampered and sheltered young wife moving back home with mommy and daddy [and servants], who leaves the kids with the help to slink out and try to become a standup comic on the sly. Papa is a professor. Mama is a 50s housewife with the attendant obsession with society standing and wistful dreams of spending her life studying art in Paris.

And the entire thing kind of walks a line between perfectly perfect and too perfect. Period details are visually stunning and engrossing, but all the peripheral characters are there to serve the narrative. It's very 'broadway play' in that way [the butcher, the baker, the beat cop, . . . everyone knows the central characters and interacts with them to propel the story forward. . . Tidy].

But it's also dizzyingly constructed so that you only notice if you are of a mind to gripe. Kind of like you can simply enjoy a musical, or sit and stew wondering 'why are people singing all their dialog?!?!'

Brosnahan is the undisputed center of the show, but all the central characters are well constructed. Tony Shalhoub as her father and Kevin Pollack as her father-in-law are particularly good and get meaty moments aplenty.

And perhaps the best part of the entire show is, Maisel is a comedienne who is actually written FUNNY. She's not the fake stilted funny of the usual dramatization of a comedian, written by a non-standup. Her standup bits hold up against actual standups, whether of that era or even today. By the time you're through the episodes, you believe this is a person who could 'make it' in actual showbiz.

Also, when her family vacationed in the Catskills, there was an outfit that was so jaw-droppingly hot I had to screencap it for posterity. So, if nothing else, it's worth watching for the eye-candy.
Season one Episode one has a nice little jaw dropping moment as well. :-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:00 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by 007:
Season one Episode one has a nice little jaw dropping moment as well. :-)
I haven't watched the first season since it premiered, are you referring to the decolletage in her first set?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:21 AM 12-21-2018
I will check it out. I'll inform my genitals as well.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:52 AM 12-21-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I will check it out. I'll inform my genitals as well.
Thing is, she's 'sneaky' hot. She doesn't flaunt sexuality, and she dresses appropriately for a society gal the era. But every once in a while it hits you that her figure is fairly amazing.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:53 AM 12-21-2018
We saw season 1 after the emmy win, loved it. Finished watching season 2. We loved it. My wife never, ever re-watches anything. She wants to binge watch the whole series over the holiday break.Cinematography, acting and directing are all top shelf. Loved the Catskills show.

This is a much watch if you haven't seen the show. Something new in this era, feels fresh and not something already done a 100 times.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:05 AM 12-21-2018
I'm spoilering this so those who haven't seen it get to experience it fresh, but it's not a plot point so much as something to enjoy for those who have seen it.

I have a . . . particular . . . regimen.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
007 11:58 PM 12-21-2018
I haven't watched the first season since it premiered, are you referring to the decolletage in her first set?
Well thats one way to put it. :-)
[Reply]
cooper barrett 06:45 AM 12-22-2018
Thing is, she's 'sneaky' hot. She doesn't flaunt sexuality, and she dresses appropriately for a society gal the era. But every once in a while it hits you that her figure is fairly amazing.

NSFW
Spoiler!

[Reply]
T-post Tom 08:28 AM 12-22-2018
Sorkin tries to do it on occasion [walk and talks], but rarely as elegantly.

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:53 PM 12-22-2018
I’ve loved every minute of this show. The dialogue is fast and funny.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Up