ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 87 of 324
« First < 37778384858687 8889909197137187 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
saphojunkie 04:09 PM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Releasing Houston, Sorensen, Ragland and Murray gives the Chiefs $54 million in cap space to work with.
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Holy crap.
I'd rather just release sorenson, ragland and murray and have Houston plus $40M to work with.

What fucking spots exactly?

Lucas can be your third safety and take over for Sorenson.
Ragland is garbage and doesn't have a spot.
Murray is garbage and doesn't have a spot.

You can find a cheaper and younger DE for the $21 million that Houston is going to get paid.

One thing people don't seem to factor in is that Houston is absolutely on the books for $7M this year. So that 21M cap number means very little.

$14M. That's the number you should focus on. If Justin Houston were a street free agent, and it was going to cost you $14M to sign him for this year, would you do it?

I would. I think that's what his market value is. He's literally what everyone here is clamoring that Ford isn't: an all-round pass rusher who can also play the run, set an edge. If that's what Ford is going to cost - $14M - then why the hell would you ever cut Houston? Keep Houston, try to trade Ford, otherwise let him walk and get your comp pick.
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:10 PM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Well just about all of the FA’s will not hit the market, and it’s hard to expect a rookie edge rusher to come in and be that guy day 1.

I understand we probably should get rid of 1, but I just don’t see them getting rid of both when they want to make a run.
They made a run with the 31st ranked defense this last season. Want someone to fill the DE spot? Go sign Brandon Graham for less than Houston is going to make. There are ALWAYS guys out there that you can sign.

What would be fucking stupid is counting on Houston and Ford to not only make the switch to the 4-3 but to stay healthy as well......for $37 MILLION DOLLARS.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:10 PM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I's rather just release sorenson, ragland and murray and have Houston plus $40M to work with.

One thing people don't seem to factor in is that Houston is absolutely on the books for $7M this year. So that 21M cap number means very little.

$14M. That's the number you should focus on. If Justin Houston were a street free agent, and it was going to cost you $14M to sign him for this year, would you do it?

I would. I think that's what his market value is. He's literally what everyone here is clamoring that Ford isn't: an all-round pass rusher who can also play the run, set an edge. If that's what Ford is going to cost - $14M - then why the hell would you ever cut Houston? Keep Houston, try to trade Ford, otherwise let him walk and get your comp pick.
Totally fair take. I get it.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:12 PM 01-28-2019
I think if they had to choose, they would like to keep Houston, plus this draft has some really good talent and depth on the DL.

Houston, Speaks, Tanoh and a high draft pick.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:12 PM 01-28-2019
They made a run with the 31st ranked defense this last season. Want someone to fill the DE spot? Go sign Brandon Graham for less than Houston is going to make. There are ALWAYS guys out there that you can sign.

What would be fucking stupid is counting on Houston and Ford to not only make the switch to the 4-3 but to stay healthy as well......for $37 MILLION DOLLARS.
Again, I get it.

But that’s a lot of turnover on a team already switching schemes and while I totally understand why we should do it, I wouldn’t be surprised if the defense is a disappointment in 2019 again.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 04:13 PM 01-28-2019
Totally fair take. I get it.
I also get letting both walk and putting faith in a new scheme and existing/incoming talent.

The really fucking nice thing is that Mahomes makes ALLLLLL OF THIS manageable. Move up in the draft, move down, sign free agents, trade players...

It doesn't matter. The house is built. Now you get to decorate and insure it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:13 PM 01-28-2019
Again, I get it.

But that’s a lot of turnover on a team already switching schemes and while I totally understand why we should do it, I wouldn’t be surprised if the defense is a disappointment in 2019 again.
It was a disappointment this year, with all of those guys. Dee Ford is a big reason they were so bad against the run. So is Chris Jones.

Obviously you need to sign Jones. You can't sign Ford too and expect the defense to improve.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:14 PM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I also get letting both walk and putting faith in a new scheme and existing/incoming talent.

The really fucking nice thing is that Mahomes makes ALLLLLL OF THIS manageable. Move up in the draft, move down, sign free agents, trade players...

It doesn't matter. The house is built. Now you get to decorate and insure it.
Exactly! :-)
[Reply]
RunKC 04:15 PM 01-28-2019
Again, I get it.

Coaching will dictate this.

Seattle lost Sherman, Chancellor, Avril, Bennett and Thomas half a year and look how good they were?

It’s literally all about coaching.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 04:26 PM 01-28-2019
Man, I just don’t see how you lose Ford and Houston then expect this defense to be good in 2019
I made this argument when Spags was hired, be careful people will be along to call you Crazy and Insane.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:29 PM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I made this argument when Spags was hired, be careful people will be along to call you Crazy and Insane.
They called you crazy and insane because you threw a hissy fit about hiring Spags after openly campaigning for Rex freaking Ryan.
[Reply]
tmax63 04:29 PM 01-28-2019
Man, I just don’t see how you lose Ford and Houston then expect this defense to be good in 2019
You say that like they were worth a shit this year. They were 31st in the league. There are about 3 guys on the defensive side of the ball that couldn't be replaced with someone better in a New York minute at probably close to the same price or cheaper.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 04:30 PM 01-28-2019
They called you crazy and insane because you threw a hissy fit about hiring Spags after openly campaigning for Rex freaking Ryan.
Rex Ryan or any 3-4 coach, plenty of posts in this very thread and others stating moving to 4-3 would be mistake.

So...........

Just saying,
[Reply]
Hoover 04:32 PM 01-28-2019
Letting Nelson and Ford both walk might net us a couple third round compensatory picks in 2020.

All that said, I just think its dumb to send Houston packing. Some of you guys see available cap space as something to get overly excited about. Its over-rated. Sure, the Chiefs should go get a significant free agent, hell I think I'd be trying to trade for a guy. But its not like cap space will solve all out problems in 2019.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:37 PM 01-28-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Rex Ryan or any 3-4 coach, plenty of posts in this very thread and others stating moving to 4-3 would be mistake.

So...........

Just saying,
You openly advocated for Rex Ryan. You added "or any other 3-4 coach" but don't pretend you weren't all in on Rex Ryan. After everything we've dealt with with Sutton, you wanted to bring in a guy who uses the same concepts and personnel groupings.

That's like divorcing your wife because she's the trailer park train caboose and then marrying her crazy-ass sister because the lack of cross-eyes makes her "hotter".
[Reply]
Page 87 of 324
« First < 37778384858687 8889909197137187 > Last »
Up