ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 137 of 324
« First < 3787127133134135136137 138139140141147187237 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
chiefforlife 01:18 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
https://overthecap.com/player/bobby-wagner/1531/

We talked about this dude recently. He's 28 and in the last year of his contract.

Wonder if they'd move on and trade him?
2 problems- He is the heart of their Defense, they would want a first rounder at least.
Also, last year of his contract and he will need PAID!
[Reply]
bricks 01:38 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:
2 problems- He is the heart of their Defense, they would want a first rounder at least.
Also, last year of his contract and he will need PAID!
I’d trade a first rounder for him in a heartbeat.

You ain’t gonna get one of the better MLBs out there. Plus, he’s a leader. Something this defense somewhat lacks.
[Reply]
O.city 01:50 PM 02-06-2019
Yeah, if they said they'd give him to you for 29, man that would be tough to turn down.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:04 PM 02-06-2019
No way would I trade a first for Wagner. He’s VERY good...but will need a new deal that he would have all the leverage on, is going to be winding down and I’d much rather use that first on a guy that will be around for the next 5-10 years while Mahomes gets into his prime.

If he was 26/27 I’d think about it differently.
[Reply]
bowener 02:29 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
https://overthecap.com/player/bobby-wagner/1531/

We talked about this dude recently. He's 28 and in the last year of his contract.

Wonder if they'd move on and trade him?
Dear god, if the Chiefs end up with Bobby Wagner I will weep tears of joy.

edit: Toss in Earl Thomas via FA and the defense would have a whole new culture and attitude.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 02:54 PM 02-06-2019
I wonder if he can fix this:

I forgot about this one. I have literally never seen this many open receivers on one play. pic.twitter.com/o8z3cp7zbS

— Seth Keysor (@RealMNchiefsfan) February 6, 2019

[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:59 PM 02-06-2019
Wagner will not get released. He’s a future HOF and the heart of the Defense. If he were to somehow get released idc what it takes. You sign the guy ASAP! Clark better go full Andy and make sure he doesn’t leave without signing with the Chiefs
[Reply]
staylor26 03:23 PM 02-06-2019
Who said released?
[Reply]
Mecca 03:26 PM 02-06-2019
Wagner is still an all pro player, Seattle will not be moving on from him.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:33 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Wagner is still an all pro player, Seattle will not be moving on from him.

This. Also-it's too early to give up on Hitchens and double up a big salary at that position.

Big money spots: CB, Pass rusher. Occasionally S. On defense, that's it.

We need to draft and develop at those spots, fill in the other spots with mid round picks and aging, cheap vets.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:44 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
I wonder if he can fix this:

Good grief, the guy at the top of the screen could have walked into the end zone. There was nobody even close.
[Reply]
Hoover 03:46 PM 02-06-2019
Say it with me kids....

We need young players on rookie contracts.

We wither draft them or trade for them with a couple of years left like Fuller, Ragland, etc.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:48 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Say it with me kids....

We need young players on rookie contracts.

We wither draft them or trade for them with a couple of years left like Fuller, Ragland, etc.
You have to have a few veterans in there somewhere. They don't have to be expensive but they have to be in the mix.
[Reply]
Hoover 03:49 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You have to have a few veterans in there somewhere. They don't have to be expensive but they have to be in the mix.
I agree, but we are not trading for them and then giving them a big contract.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 06:19 PM 02-06-2019
Originally Posted by Rausch:
We need to make our all out push before Pat's new contract.

Whatever Spags wants get him. Whatever we can do to improve the D - DO IT.
Oh I agree. And we'll make the push as best we can. But there's one thing everyone needs to consider; part of bringing Spags to KC is getting this defense ready to compete in, and Veach prepared to acquire for, this defense in a "post-Mahomes contract reality".

If you look at the roster as it stands on the books today, outside of Houston and Jones, we really don't have "stars" on this defense. Nor do we have a vast collection of solid contributors who can get the sun to shine on their asses from time to time while NOT losing games for us.

*Note: I'm not bringing Berry in to this conversation because it's absolutely pointless in terms of him contributing anything of worth from here on out.

So we've got one proven vet that you can flip a coin on in terms of whether or not he's going to have a good season, and a young ascending player. Beyond that we've got transitional question marks, hopefuls, and scrub-a-licious crap.

So we're at a point right now where the necessary dynamic-shift can begin to take place, and it NEEDS to take place. Right now. Today. For those who would hope that the Chiefs, even if they HAD the cap room, were going to to purchase the services of a singular( or two ), extreme-dollar player(s) when they can use that money to acquire TWO( or more )dependable players, proven commodities, are out of their minds.
First, we're in no position financially to go that route. And second, why would we even WANT to? This isn't Peyton Manning with a few good years left, and I don't want to end up like Denver or the post-Vermeil Chiefs either.

We need to build this defense solidly and steadily, bringing in "big stars" only if they are willing to meet our terms and needs as a team. Doing our best to grab impact in the draft, and using FA wisely to acquire as many solid, dependable, and COACHABLE players as we can to plug holes and fill depth.
And it's likely to go down like this anyway, because Reid is always going to be pushing to keep Mahomes surrounded with weapons( though personally I would invest in the best line I could while keeping no more than two impact guys receiving the football, and rotating out dependable, hungry young RB's ). To offense goes the glory in this league, right?

Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Originally Posted by Hoover:
I agree, but we are not trading for them and then giving them a big contract.
This is the tricky part. Our supply of defensive leaders right now consists of an OLB who has been only too happy to step aside and let others lead, that "other" being the now-defunct Hobospirit 29. I get conflicting reports; some sources praise Houston for his leadership, others say he's supportive but not able to fill the void that Berry has left, so I really don't know and couldn't say.

Like most, I would prefer that my leaders come home-grown. Up through the draft, raised in the system, and 100% a Chief. But right now, in terms of active players, we're running thin.
I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to bring in an established vet or two, on the tail end but still able to compete and contribute, for reasonable and short-term contracts? This would allow us to get Jones a couple more years in the system along with any promising players we might already have, and will hopefully draft.
I'll be the first to admit it's not the ideal situation, but I'd rather go that route than picking up another Hitchens( or two ), and hoping your going to get a good/great player for 4 or 5 years at a high-dollar asking price.
And besides, this would be temporary anyway. A stop-gap of two good guys who would have a better shot of competing for a ring in KC than at their current situation, and who could give us time to do more grooming.
[Reply]
Page 137 of 324
« First < 3787127133134135136137 138139140141147187237 > Last »
Up