ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 24 of 34
« First < 142021222324 25262728 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Joe Thuney to the Chiefs
Dante84 02:08 PM 03-15-2021

Former #Patriots G Joe Thuney is getting a 5-year deal from Kansas City. First bombshell.

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) March 15, 2021

������ https://t.co/wWf0RuxRZC

— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) March 15, 2021

More details on Joe Thuney's 5-year, $80M deal with the Chiefs:
Signing bonus: $17M
Base salaries: $990K, $13.9M, $15M, $15.5M, $15.5M
Workout bonuses totaling $2.11M

That structure keeps Thuney's 2021 cap number at just $4.5M.

KC still has room to work with in free agency.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 15, 2021

Originally Posted by TribalElder:

[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:53 PM 03-16-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
LDTs contract is such that there is no real incentive to do anything with him. So he's here, whether only thing is to figure out is he a starter or backup.
It’s a $6 million hit on the cap this year. So why would you do that? He like Clark are unreleasable this year.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:09 PM 03-16-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
LDTs contract is such that there is no real incentive to do anything with him. So he's here, whether only thing is to figure out is he a starter or backup.
Exactly.

He's going to be the starting RG. People need to come to terms with it.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 08:20 PM 03-16-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Exactly.

Which I’m actually fine with. Yeah he’s not all pro, but LDT is serviceable and knows the offense.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:55 PM 03-16-2021
Exactly.

We've come to terms with a lot as it relates to LDT; we'll simply have to deal with this too.
[Reply]
BossChief 01:05 AM 03-17-2021
Exactly.

I would say it’s probably his job to lose, but in no way would I say he’s the unquestioned starter at this point. I’m sure there will be competition.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:07 AM 03-18-2021
Best point I've seen made on this signing yet:

Originally Posted by :
Jacob Harris: Big boy block good. Keep Patrick safe. Make lots of money.
https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-rep...ard-joe-thuney
[Reply]
smithandrew051 09:11 AM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky:
Which I’m actually fine with. Yeah he’s not all pro, but LDT is serviceable and knows the offense.
And we have decent depth at G now. Especially if we re-sign Reiter or draft a starting C. Then Allegretti becomes IOL depth too.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:39 AM 03-18-2021
Thuney is obvious an enormous upgrade at LG. The Chiefs went from solid to elite at the position.

But hey, have we talked about what type of upgrade a healthy Kyle Long can offer at RG?

I know, I know. He was constantly broken from 2016-2019. Looking at the list of injuries, you can kind of connect the dots and see relation between things.

2016: Played most of the season with a torn labrum (left shoulder). Then suffered severe right ankle injury (on a player where he got overwhelemed/thrown off balance. Maybe by the unsteady/weak arm?)

2017: Shoulder injury week 13, ankle injury nagged him all season

2018: foot injury 1/2 through season

2019: Hip injury, retired

Is the story here a guy who got compromised up top and tried to play through it, suffered a severe injury to his lower body, and then never really got it all working again as the lower body injury continued to nag him and cause problems up the chain?

If that's the case... I can see a scenario where a year and some change off gave him time to get everything 100 percent healthy again and he returns to pretty close to what he was when healthy.

That player would win the RG job and be a LARGE upgrade there. And also could give reps/insurance at RT.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:23 AM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I would say it’s probably his job to lose, but in no way would I say he’s the unquestioned starter at this point. I’m sure there will be competition.
Long, if he can stay healthy, has the ability to win the RG job, for sure.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:25 AM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Thuney is obvious an enormous upgrade at LG. The Chiefs went from solid to elite at the position.

But hey, have we talked about what type of upgrade a healthy Kyle Long can offer at RG?

I know, I know. He was constantly broken from 2016-2019. Looking at the list of injuries, you can kind of connect the dots and see relation between things.

2016: Played most of the season with a torn labrum (left shoulder). Then suffered severe right ankle injury (on a player where he got overwhelemed/thrown off balance. Maybe by the unsteady/weak arm?)

2017: Shoulder injury week 13, ankle injury nagged him all season

2018: foot injury 1/2 through season

2019: Hip injury, retired

Is the story here a guy who got compromised up top and tried to play through it, suffered a severe injury to his lower body, and then never really got it all working again as the lower body injury continued to nag him and cause problems up the chain?

If that's the case... I can see a scenario where a year and some change off gave him time to get everything 100 percent healthy again and he returns to pretty close to what he was when healthy.

That player would win the RG job and be a LARGE upgrade there. And also could give reps/insurance at RT.
There's no risk. If he gets injured again, he's gone and the Chiefs are out nothing.

But as you've outlined, if he's had time to get fully healthy, he's an above average RG and certainly better than LDT. It's a plus move that Super Bowl contenders make.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:16 AM 03-18-2021
I still think Thuney could be our best option at LT right now. He played LT in college and Belichick put him at LT all of training camp in 2019. He was ready to roll with him.

The guy is a damn good technician and an elite pass protector. He’s very Mitchell Schwartz like.

I want to hear Veach’s presser. We got Long, LDT is coming back and Wylie is too. I could definitely see that as the plan.
[Reply]
JakeF 11:27 AM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I still think Thuney could be our best option at LT right now. He played LT in college and Belichick put him at LT all of training camp in 2019. He was ready to roll with him.

The guy is a damn good technician and an elite pass protector. He’s very Mitchell Schwartz like.

I want to hear Veach’s presser. We got Long, LDT is coming back and Wylie is too. I could definitely see that as the plan.
Unless something changes significantly, you could be right.

Thuney, Long, Reiter, LDT, Niang looks like our best starting group so far.

I imagine we draft a center and swing OT.

We still don't really know about Niang yet.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:29 AM 03-18-2021

Lol no.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 11:32 AM 03-18-2021
I am hoping Thuney is on the phone with Andrews, convincing him to come to KC.
Suddenly the interior of our line is SOLID. what a FIX that would be.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:34 AM 03-18-2021
No way, Dude. No way.
[Reply]
Page 24 of 34
« First < 142021222324 25262728 > Last »
Up