ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 61
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Report: Orlando Brown requests trade from Ravens, wants to play LT
Sofa King 01:40 PM 02-10-2021
Moving on from Fisher? Probably not.

Cap room for him? Not really, but moves could be made.

Draft capital for him? Maybe, but we're awfully low in the draft.

Tunsil trade (For record-keeping purposes, the trade saw the Dolphins acquire first-round picks in 2020 and 2021 and a second-round pick in 2021 along with offensive tackle Julién Davenport and defensive back Johnson Bademosi in exchange for Tunsil, wide receiver Kenny Stills, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round selection.)

https://www.nfl.com/news/orlando-bro...nts-to-play-lt

It only took the Ravens a little over a year to learn their selection of Orlando Brown was a wise one, but they've met a new challenge with the tackle that could be their last.

Brown has expressed his desire to be traded, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday. After spending the majority of 2020 on the left side in place of the injured Ronnie Stanley, Brown has found his comfort zone and does not want to return to the right side. He'll only play for a team that will line him up at his preferred left tackle position, per Rapoport.

Rapoport added the Ravens value Brown significantly and would need major compensation in order to do a deal.

Brown's background is on the left side, but he ended up in Baltimore as a right tackle after a poor pre-draft showing saw him slide from a first-round projection to an eventual third-round pick of the Ravens. He blossomed in 2019 and especially in 2020 after switching to the left side to replace Stanley, earning his second straight trip to the Pro Bowl -- and first as an initial selection. Thanks to Brown's quick adjustment to the left side of the line, Baltimore didn't lose much in offensive production following Stanley's injury, finishing as the league's No. 1 rushing offense for a second straight season.

Brown's success on the left side and desire to remain there might very well also be tied to the financial ramifications of the tackle position. As it currently stands, there is a $5 million per year difference between the league's highest-paid right tackle (Philadelphia's Lane Johnson) and left tackle (Green Bay's David Bakhtiari). Of the top 10 highest-paid tackles in the NFL (in terms of average salary per year), only two -- Johnson and Las Vegas' Trent Brown -- are right tackles.

Orlando Brown missed out on significant money typically afforded to first-round picks right around the moment when he racked the bar after just 14 bench-press reps during a nightmarish 2018 NFL Scouting Combine. He's made a little over $1.8 million in base salary total in his first three seasons, and though he will see a significant boost in 2021 (base salary of $3.38 million) due to the structure of his rookie deal, that's still an incredibly far cry from where tackles of his level land in compensation ranking.

After demonstrating his ability to effectively handle the transition from right to left tackle -- a return to his roots, essentially -- Brown is in a prime position to capitalize financially and beyond. He'll maximize his earning potential by remaining a left tackle, and he'll probably enjoy playing the game a bit more in a stance and vantage point that's more familiar to him, anyway.

If that doesn't fit in Baltimore, the Ravens will have to move him. And though this isn't exactly the best way to ensure maximum leverage in a deal, they'll probably still get a haul for him.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:57 AM 04-13-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
I'm confused. In this scenario, who are we passing up? I'm the one advocating for drafting a player we can play early whether that means moving up or staying put if possible. I don't understand how you understood that to mean we should pass up on someone for fear he might play early?
Hypothetically, let's say you could draft Eichenberg at 31 or Forsythe at 63 or lower.

You're saying you would take Eichenberg at 31 and pass on Forsythe, because Eichenberg can start Day 1. Even though his own college coach said he's not really an NFL left tackle. Forsythe wouldn't start day 1 but his potential as a pass blocker is far beyond what Eichenberg will ever be, simply due to physical gifts.

I'd MUCH rather have Forsythe in the 2nd or even lower than Eichenberg in the first. Long term potential should have more weight than patching a hole for one year at the longest. You don't sacrifice 2022 and beyond to feel marginally better about 2021.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:58 AM 04-13-2021
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Throwing this out there. So after watching Simms top O-linemen video in the other thread, he says the C from Alabama, Dickerson, could be the best C in football from day 1.

I will wait a bit for all the haters of C in round 1, and his injury doubters to quit yelling at me.

Okay, that gives you 4/5 of the line being very good. Remmers was very solid on the RT spot, and if Niang beats him out we should be even stronger at that position, so 4/5 of the deal is complete.

Simms also says Little is a franchise LT. (Film vs Notre Dame is a bit underwhelming, but I will defer to Simms) Get him in the 2nd, even if it requires a trade up. Give him a little help if he needs it while he is developing, because the other 4 spots should be good to go.

With the other additions, we should have depth too, and our line problems should be fixed going forward.

I don't expect this will end well, but I just thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Flame away
You're right, this isn't going to end well. :-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:50 PM 04-13-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Hypothetically, let's say you could draft Eichenberg at 31 or Forsythe at 63 or lower.

You're saying you would take Eichenberg at 31 and pass on Forsythe, because Eichenberg can start Day 1. Even though his own college coach said he's not really an NFL left tackle. Forsythe wouldn't start day 1 but his potential as a pass blocker is far beyond what Eichenberg will ever be, simply due to physical gifts.

I'd MUCH rather have Forsythe in the 2nd or even lower than Eichenberg in the first. Long term potential should have more weight than patching a hole for one year at the longest. You don't sacrifice 2022 and beyond to feel marginally better about 2021.
Is there anyone available past pick 15 with more potential than Spencer Brown? I don't think so. Little and Radunz played LT in college though. Forsythe too. Any of those 4 sound like good picks at #63 on.
[Reply]
JakeF 03:15 PM 04-13-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
What do you guys WANT them to do?

Drafting a LT isn't good enough if they don't for sure get a day 1 starter, so should they just not draft one at all and leave a gaping fucking hole there?

You would have thought success would have opened some eyes but instead the tunnel vision here is worse than it's ever been it seems.
Draft elite talent.

I want a Kelce level player, that is the #1 priority. A really good GM will get move around in the draft to get that elite talent at a position of need. It may not be the team's #1 need, but a need nonetheless.

OT, DE, WR (LB is a need after the departure of Wilson)

Left tackle replacing Fisher
DE opposite of Clark
WR replace Watkins, complement Hill

We must get these 3 things. How high the talent level we acquire will reflect on Veech/Reid.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:17 PM 04-13-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Draft elite talent.

I want a Kelce level player, that is the #1 priority. A really good GM will get move around in the draft to get that elite talent at a position of need. It may not be the team's #1 need, but a need nonetheless.

DE opposite of Clark

We must get these 3 things. How high the talent level we acquire will reflect on Veech/Reid.
:-)
[Reply]
staylor26 03:35 PM 04-13-2021
[Reply]
JakeF 03:40 PM 04-13-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea, i expect too much from Bart.

How dare I expect him to find an elite player in the draft. It's a good thing that Dorsey did it for him before Reid fired him or we wouldn't have won a Super Bowl.

Reid fired Dorsey and promoted his intern. This is on Reid as much as Veech.
[Reply]
In58men 03:41 PM 04-13-2021
Geez
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 03:50 PM 04-13-2021

How dare I expect him to find an elite player in the draft. It's a good thing that Dorsey did it for him before Reid fired him or we wouldn't have won a Super Bowl.

You do realize that it's public knowledge Veach was the first within the organization to pound the table for Mahomes and his work with Cabbot and Steinberg was a monumental driving force behind the Chiefs eventually drafting him, right?
[Reply]
tredadda 04:13 PM 04-13-2021

You seriously believe what you posted? Veach has done a pretty good job building this winner as well.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:29 PM 04-13-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Is there anyone available past pick 15 with more potential than Spencer Brown? I don't think so. Little and Radunz played LT in college though. Forsythe too. Any of those 4 sound like good picks at #63 on.
That's where I'm at. There's probably going to be 2 or 3 guys available at 63 that will actually be better long-term fits than the 2 or 3 guys available at 31, even though those 1st round guys are more ready now.

People are so focused on the Super Bowl and this upcoming season that they've lost sight of the fact that our franchise QB is only 25 years old and he's got A LOT of time left. There's no reason to go into 2022 and beyond with issues just because you were trying to patch up 2021.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:31 PM 04-13-2021
Draft elite talent.

DE opposite of Clark

Kelce was a 3rd round pick. If anybody on the Chiefs staff KNEW he was going to be that good, he would have been a much higher pick.

It's called "development". Not many guys are instant stars.

Your expectations are silly and your knowledge of how the draft actually works is lacking.

Shocking, I know.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:31 PM 04-13-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
You do realize that it's public knowledge Veach was the first within the organization to pound the table for Mahomes and his work with Cabbot and Steinberg was a monumental driving force behind the Chiefs eventually drafting him, right?

[Reply]
YontsRBake 06:19 PM 04-13-2021
I think the odds are against us drafting an OL at 31 that's better than Brown.

Big hang up is the contract he wants but if he'd delay getting the extension done to after he plays for a year and proves he's an elite LT on a pass heavy team, I see trading our 1st for him as worth it.
[Reply]
In58men 06:25 PM 04-13-2021
Makes me wanna overpay for Brown now lol

https://twitter.com/baldynfl/status/...250906626?s=21
[Reply]
Page 18 of 61
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Up