ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2940 of 3903
« First < 1940244028402890293029362937293829392940 29412942294329442950299030403440 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 08:24 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Do you live in a state which is presently seeing a large spike in cases and positivity?
He lives here in MO. Our cases are going up.

I follow someone who gets their numbers directly from the county Health Departments.

Originally Posted by :
I was able to identify 1,330 cases from 78 jurisdictions and 35 deaths today.

We’re averaging 15 deaths per day over the last week, we are at an all-time high for the 7-day moving average of new cases per day

[Reply]
lewdog 08:35 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I don't get the flu, at least not in any way I associate how others get the flu so I am really not too concerned about getting a covid vaccine either.
Another person who doesn’t understand the reason to get a flu vaccine, even if you never get the flu.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:48 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Do you live in a state which is presently seeing a large spike in cases and positivity?
I live in your head. It's quite the case.
[Reply]
Donger 08:55 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
I live in your head. It's quite the case.
It's already been answered, part of the problem...
[Reply]
TLO 09:06 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
He lives here in MO. Our cases are going up.

I follow someone who gets their numbers directly from the county Health Departments.
I followed the same guy for a while, but he seems to be a bit of alarmist. I understand he pulls his data from local health departments, but local health departments often go back and revise their information days, weeks, or even months past the reporting date sometimes. I'm not sure how it would even be possible for him to keep up with the corrections and alterations.
[Reply]
TLO 09:12 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I get the concept. But you realize there are plenty of 32-year-olds with lingering and possibly permanent heart and lung damage from this right? I'm not sure why you are more worried about the vaccine than that.

Scientific American: COVID-19 Can Wreck Your Heart, Even if You Haven’t Had Any Symptoms
Originally Posted by TLO:
The heart stuff is somewhat concerning, but it still seems pretty anecdotal at this point. I'm optimistic it won't turn out to be anything that happens with any great regularity.
FWIW - A bunch of people that seem fairly knowledgeable on the topic ripped this article up and pissed on it in the reddit science forum.

Originally Posted by :
This is an irresponsible article that isn't grounded on any concrete evidence.

How can Scientific American allow such claims to be written based on a Preprint that's based on 3 autopsies and no meaningful control, and no mention that heart damage may have predated infection? They also killed cells in test tubes with the virus; orange juice might have had the same effect.

Some of these ”scientisits” writing this stuff have officially lost it.
Originally Posted by :
This is a weird article. I'm not going to pick it apart, but on its surface the claim that "COVID-19 Can Wreck Your Heart, Even if You Haven’t Had Any Symptoms" implies:

That this is a known, definite feature of the virus that happens to a substantial number of people who catch it (not just people who end up in the hospital).
That your heart will be converted to a useless lump of meat.
That this all will often happen without any indication that there is any kind of problem.
That all cases of COVID-19 myocarditis are of significant severity.
In practice, myocarditis is rather difficult to diagnose with accuracy, and is highly heterogeneous in its presentation and prognosis. Cardiac sequelae to acute viral infections aren't strange, either. A more toned-down version of this claim would be that COVID-19 myocarditis warrants immediate investigation to determine frequency and severity of cardiac sequelae, which is true but not as punchy, I guess. It's also a message to research, not the general public.

As a message to the general public, I'm not sure what this is trying to say. That COVID-19 patients should be afraid? That people should try to avoid getting the virus? I don't know, from a public eye it sounds like "be worried, worse things are coming," which doesn't really help at this point, I think.

One thing in particular stood out to me (partially because, whenever I see an unqualified "as many as" statement, a horn blares in my mind):

According to some reports, as many as 7 percent of deaths from COVID-19 may result from myocarditis. (Others feel that estimate is too high.)

What is the actual reasonable range, here? One of the research papers she links notes:

The prevalence of myocarditis among COVID-19 patients is unclear, partly because the early reports often lacked the specific diagnostic modalities to assess myocarditis. Some argued that up to 7% of COVID-19–related deaths were attributable to myocarditis. However, this was assumed and not based on confirmatory diagnoses of myocarditis and thus may be an overestimate.

This seems like a pretty important thing to overlook in a discussion of myocarditis involvement.

[Reply]
Marcellus 09:21 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Another person who doesn’t understand the reason to get a flu vaccine, even if you never get the flu.

Thats pretty stupid Lew.
[Reply]
loochy 09:23 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Exactly.

The reason to get a flu vaccine is for the government to track us with 5g.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:37 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Exactly.

The reason to get a flu vaccine is for the government to track us with 5g.
:-)
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:38 AM 09-02-2020
FWIW - A bunch of people that seem fairly knowledgeable on the topic ripped this article up and pissed on it in the reddit science forum.
There's still plenty to be worried about wrt to long term health issues. I wouldn't want to be that Swedish guy I know. He's hoping to improve, and he may. But he doesn't know if this could be permanent and he'll never be able to run again.

I don't understand this attitude of "I'm not going to worry about it until the facts are in" when the stakes are so personally high, and there are plenty of anecdotes of long term heart/lung damage. Not saying you have that attitude, but some do.

I'd rather be super-cautious until we know that the long term health risks are miniscule.
[Reply]
TLO 09:44 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
There's still plenty to be worried about wrt to long term health issues. I wouldn't want to be that Swedish guy I know. He's hoping to improve, and he may. But he doesn't know if this could be permanent and he'll ever be able to run again.

I don't understand this attitude of "I'm not going to worry about it until the facts are in" when the stakes are so personally high, and there are plenty of anecdotes of long term heart/lung damage.
I'm not going to worry about it because it accomplishes nothing for me.

There were/still are plenty of anecdotal reports that hydroxycloriquine works as a treatment. Doesn't mean it's true.

Anecdotal reports mean very little overall
[Reply]
loochy 09:46 AM 09-02-2020

You've come a long way buddy. :-)
[Reply]
petegz28 09:56 AM 09-02-2020

There were/still are plenty of anecdotal reports that hydroxycloriquine works as a treatment. Doesn't mean it's true.

Anecdotal reports mean very little overall
Excellent post and rep to you even. This is something I have pointed out for weeks. People will latch onto any negative anecdotal evidence and swear by it but quickly dismiss any positive anecdotal evidence.

Great post, TLO! :-)
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:00 AM 09-02-2020
It helps me stay vigilant* when there's a lot of temptation to slip and just start going back to normal. We're all sick of this thing. I see a lot of people around me just giving up and pretending it's over basically.

*This risky visit I just had with my family in Denver notwithstanding. Never again until covid is over. I'm not going back to KC for Christmas this year.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:00 AM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Thats pretty stupid Lew.
You clearly don’t get it if your marker for not getting the flu vaccine is because you’ve never had it.

I honestly though this thinking died decades ago.
[Reply]
Page 2940 of 3903
« First < 1940244028402890293029362937293829392940 29412942294329442950299030403440 > Last »
Up