ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 280 of 382
« First < 180230270276277278279280 281282283284290330380 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Third Eye 02:52 PM 11-22-2018
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
FYI the straight coffee BCS variant wasn’t done this year. Coffee Barleywine took its place.
Well that is... disappointing.
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:02 PM 11-22-2018
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Well that is... disappointing.
I'm too lazy to look it up, but there was a recent podcast with GI R&D stating they were halting the coffee variant due to the green pepper/vegetal profile many were getting the past couple years (I believe they moved from cold brew to beans). I'm also a fan of coffee BCS, but there's so many great BA coffee stouts being produced nationwide that it was probably the right call until they can dial it back in. Its been an outspoken complaint.
[Reply]
Marcellus 05:30 PM 11-22-2018
We have a local place that gets a couple barrels of BCS every year and they are allowed to sell it starting on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I had a couple 12oz pours Wednesday.

As always its really good stuff. What was really cool is a few patrons brought in some bottles of 2016 and 2017 so we did a small vertical. Amazing how much the 2016 has smoothed out.
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:58 PM 11-22-2018
As a BCS fanboi, the non-infected 2015 is steller, followed by 2014. I honestly don’t get much variance in the pasteurized years. I drink that shit fresh now.
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:02 PM 11-22-2018
As a BCS fanboi, the non-infected 2015 is steller, followed by 2014. I honestly don’t get much variance in the pasteurized years. I drink that shit fresh now.
I have a bottle of 2014 a few 2016 and 2017.

When did they start pasteurizing? 2016?
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:13 PM 11-22-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I have a bottle of 2014 a few 2016 and 2017.

When did they start pasteurizing? 2016?
Yep, after the 2015 debacle. Started in ‘16. They’re still bottle conditioned so they can develop a bit but they mostly taste the same, imo. I scooped up some 2017 a few weeks ago on sale and they’re still drinking great. 2014 though, money.
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:24 PM 11-22-2018
Yep, after the 2015 debacle. Started in ‘16. They’re still bottle conditioned so they can develop a bit but they mostly taste the same, imo. I scooped up some 2017 a few weeks ago on sale and they’re still drinking great. 2014 though, money.
I could tell a significant mellowing of the booziness on the 2016 compared to 17' and 18', seemed more chocolatey. I don't mind boozy though either.

I'm having an 18' KBS right now. KBS is a good beer but it just doesn't hold a candle to BCS.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:34 PM 11-22-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I could tell a significant mellowing of the booziness on the 2016 compared to 17' and 18', seemed more chocolatey. I don't mind boozy though either.

I'm having an 18' KBS right now. KBS is a good beer but it just doesn't hold a candle to BCS.
I’m right there with you on KBS vs BCS, and while I haven’t had 2018 of either (it’s going down tomorrow), BCS is the benchmark of a non-flavored, non-adjunct BA stout, imo. I’ve tasted Cook Country Stout, the BCS base, and it’s nearly undrinkable as it is. It’s brewed specifically for the barrel.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 06:50 PM 11-22-2018
Avid BCS fan here.

KBS is just what I think when I see KBS.. K BS not what it's acclaimed to be.
[Reply]
TimBone 09:00 PM 11-22-2018
So I should expect almost no variables tomorrow morning in a mid size town like Killeen, Texas. I'd like to grab a few of them. I'd assume my best shot outside of the regular is the Wheatwine. I'm fine with that, although I'm bummed about the Barleywine not being made this year.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 09:27 PM 11-22-2018
Originally Posted by TimBone:
So I should expect almost no variables tomorrow morning in a mid size town like Killeen, Texas. I'd like to grab a few of them. I'd assume my best shot outside of the regular is the Wheatwine. I'm fine with that, although I'm bummed about the Barleywine not being made this year.

I didn't know... bummer If you come to IN my local brewery has a Bourbon Barrell aged, 16.9 ABV, Barleywine. $34 for a growler full or $6 snifter. We finished one earlier today.

I was told by my only local purveyor that will even try to get good stuff that he had some interesting beers for me for me. It will be like an early Christmas if he treats me right.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:53 PM 11-22-2018
Check social media for Killeen, there's likely an event posted somewhere. I posted a PHX event that looked to get a case of each variant, which is in line with what most independent (non-chain) stores are getting in Chicago. However, if you look at some of the trade boards, you can see shitlords in Jersey, California, Florida putting up multiples of Vanilla for heavy weights, so there's variants being distributed. It's obvious that stores got their allotments and staff/managers are trying to flip them before black Friday and fucking their customer base, so who knows what will actually see shelves.

Also, if you wonder why we can't have nice things in craft beer, here's a pic of the BCS line in Chicago about an hour ago, the store doesn't open til 7am tomorrow. FTR, this place has banned tents and open fires this year.

[Reply]
TimBone 10:19 PM 11-22-2018
Check social media for Killeen, there's likely an event posted somewhere. I posted a PHX event that looked to get a case of each variant, which is in line with what most independent (non-chain) stores are getting in Chicago. However, if you look at some of the trade boards, you can see shitlords in Jersey, California, Florida putting up multiples of Vanilla for heavy weights, so there's variants being distributed. It's obvious that stores got their allotments and staff/managers are trying to flip them before black Friday and fucking their customer base, so who knows what will actually see shelves.

Also, if you wonder why we can't have nice things in craft beer, here's a pic of the BCS line in Chicago about an hour ago, the store doesn't open til 7am tomorrow. FTR, this place has banned tents and open fires this year.

Came up totally dry on searches.Craft beer is not big here at all. Shelfies are all you really find in this area, and even good ones sit on the shelves forever. I'm hoping that plays to my advantage tomorrow. I'll hit up the three big stores on my way through town tomorrow, and score what I can. No big deal either way.

And that line is insane. 12 hours in line for beer? I love beer, and have definitely stood in my share of stupid lines, but c'mon...12 hours? Count me out.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:36 PM 11-22-2018
Came up totally dry on searches.Craft beer is not big here at all. Shelfies are all you really find in this area, and even good ones sit on the shelves forever. I'm hoping that plays to my advantage tomorrow. I'll hit up the three big stores on my way through town tomorrow, and score what I can. No big deal either way.

And that line is insane. 12 hours in line for beer? I love beer, and have definitely stood in my share of stupid lines, but c'mon...12 hours? Count me out.
Honestly, you have the right strategy. I wouldn't chase many of these variants. I think regular is going to be widely available and the Wheatwine, which I've heard described as burnt caramel over grilled pineapple. Brah...I think it's the sleeper.

In Chicago's defense, most of those losers in line right now come from Wisconsin/Michigan/Missouri.
[Reply]
SithCeNtZ 08:45 AM 11-23-2018
Honestly, you have the right strategy. I wouldn't chase many of these variants. I think regular is going to be widely available and the Wheatwine, which I've heard described as burnt caramel over grilled pineapple. Brah...I think it's the sleeper.

In Chicago's defense, most of those losers in line right now come from Wisconsin/Michigan/Missouri.
It was shockingly easy to find here in Indy, which it normally isn't. No limit reg orange and wheat wine and plentiful all other variants. Waited for maybe an hour. A nice easy black Friday.
[Reply]
Page 280 of 382
« First < 180230270276277278279280 281282283284290330380 > Last »
Up