ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>ex-[Chiefs and] Vikings DE Jared Allen expects last stop to be Canton
Eleazar 07:29 AM 09-17-2020
Now eligible, ex-Vikings DE Jared Allen expects last stop to be Canton

By CHRIS TOMASSON | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: September 16, 2020 at 8:00 a.m

Five years after his last calf-roping sack dance, Jared Allen is eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The former Vikings defensive end who retired after the 2015 season could be elected as soon as next February. While Allen said he tries “not to be a self-promoter,’’ he considers himself worthy of the Canton, Ohio, shrine.

“I think my career speaks for itself,” Allen said in a phone interview. “I think the writing’s on the wall and absolutely I think I competed at a level that’s hall-of-fame caliber.”

Allen played in Minnesota from 2008-13, making four of his five Pro Bowls and earning three of his four first-team all-pro nods with the Vikings. He is 12th in NFL history with 136 sacks, including 85½ with Minnesota.

“I think my stats are my stats,” Allen said. “When I played, no one had more sacks than me. I got a text the other day that I was one of the top five for fastest sacks to 100. Everybody that’s above me or (just) below me on the list is in the hall of fame, so I think the body of work speaks for itself.”

Of the top 17 players in NFL history in sacks, 11 are in the hall of fame. Three — Julius Peppers, DeMarcus Ware and Terrell Suggs — are not yet eligible.

But will Allen be a first-ballot selection? With quarterback Peyton Manning, defensive back Charles Woodson and wide receiver Calvin Johnson eligible for the first time, Allen faces competition. The maximum number of modern-era players that can be selected each year is five.

“I joke that I don’t really care when I get in, but if I have to be an asterisk to Peyton Manning’s class, I’m good with that,” Allen said. “I would love to be a first-ballot hall of famer, but I won’t be the one griping and complaining if it doesn’t happen.”

Spoiler!

https://www.twincities.com/2020/09/1...f-fame-worthy/
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:18 PM 09-17-2020
that play where he played tight end and had to win a 1 on 1 matchup was impressive.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:41 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It really depends what you are asking for HOF players to be.

Taylor has longevity stats like playing in 233 games having 139 sacks which is 7th all time, 3 time all pro etc.

Davis doesn't have those because he played less but he has a short run of dominance of winning titles and rushing titles etc.

When you use those 2 you're telling me longevity stats don't matter and dominance doesn't matter, so what do you want?
For any sport it should who is one of the best ever. I don't know I could probably see TD more than Taylor. Taylor didn't do shit in the post season and only made the playoffs 5 times. I don't consider him one of the best players at his position.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:54 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
For any sport it should who is one of the best ever. I don't know I could probably see TD more than Taylor. Taylor didn't do shit in the post season and only made the playoffs 5 times. I don't consider him one of the best players at his position.
That's penalizing him for being on bad teams, is Jamaal Charles not worthy because he was on awful teams?
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:22 PM 09-17-2020
Are you all kidding me? How can you say Jared Allen is a border line hall of fame. He had one of the most dominant 7 season stretches in league history. 7 straight double digit sack seasons.

7 seasons, 101 sacks, 14.5 sacks per season, 19 FF, 9 fumble recoveries, 302 Solo tackles, 92 assisted tackles, 123 TFL, 179 QB hits, 4 Safeties

Lawrence Taylor had a 7 year stretch of double digit sacks and only had 98.

Michael Strahan's best 7 consecutive seasons had 5 seasons with double digit sacks and only 96 sacks, 16 FF, 10 Fumble recoveries, 374 solo tackles, 104 assisted tackles, and 89 TFL

Hell even our very own favorite Derrick Thomas put up an inferior 7 season stretch rushing the passer

5 double digit sack seasons, 88 Sacks, 31 FF, 15 Fumble recoveries, 412 solo tackles, 1 Safety

Idk why some of you feel the need to talk down on guys that left KC, but he's one of the top 5-10 pass rushers in the history of the game.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:48 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I don't remember a single game clinching or game changing play the guy ever made.
It's true, but that probably has more to do with playing for shitty teams in KC and Minnesota.
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:59 PM 09-17-2020
That's penalizing him for being on bad teams, is Jamaal Charles not worthy because he was on awful teams?
JC is not HOF worthy IMO. Do you think Taylor is one of the best ever? If you were going to have a small league of teams with HOF players would he be on one of them? I don't think so.

I don't think Calvin Johnson is HOF worthy either.

I fully admit I probably have a stupidly high standard.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:03 PM 09-17-2020
JC is not HOF worthy IMO. Do you think Taylor is one of the best ever? If you were going to have a small league of teams with HOF players would he be on one of them? I don't think so.

Calvin Johnson is one of the 5 best WRs of all time...
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:14 PM 09-17-2020

I agree on Jamaal. He was a HOF talent but just doesn't have the resume for consideration.

.. But Calvin Johnson's gotta make it. I think he's one of those situations where talent and sheer dominance has to pick up the slack where his resume is lacking due to walking away early.

Like, if you've got a pool of every NFL WR and you're drafting to win just one game, does Calvin Johnson really not go within the first five picks or so?
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:18 PM 09-17-2020
Calvin Johnson is one of the 5 best WRs of all time...
I don't think so but he will get in eventually. I don't think he is a 1st ballot HOF though.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:19 PM 09-17-2020
I don't think so but he will get in eventually. I don't think he is a 1st ballot HOF though.
Tell me who's better, there are a few you can say and be fine but if you tell me Cris Carter I'm gonna laugh at you.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:35 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I agree on Jamaal. He was a HOF talent but just doesn't have the resume for consideration.

.. But Calvin Johnson's gotta make it. I think he's one of those situations where talent and sheer dominance has to pick up the slack where his resume is lacking due to walking away early.

Like, if you've got a pool of every NFL WR and you're drafting to win just one game, does Calvin Johnson really not go within the first five picks or so?
Tell me who's better, there are a few you can say and be fine but if you tell me Cris Carter I'm gonna laugh at you.
As I said I may have a stupidly high standard but I want guys who produced not only in the regular season but the playoffs\SB.

So if I was going to pick Top 5 from since I was alive

1. Rice
2. Moss
3. Owens
4. Harrison
5. Fitzgerald

Then I would pick probably Irving, Carter and then Calvin or Julio Jones. If you look at stats Julio Jones has mostly better stats than Calvin does.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:41 PM 09-17-2020
As I said I may have a stupidly high standard but I want guys who produced not only in the regular season but the playoffs\SB.

So if I was going to pick Top 5 from since I was alive

1. Rice
2. Moss
3. Owens
4. Harrison
5. Fitzgerald

Then I would pick probably Irving, Carter and then Calvin or Julio Jones. If you look at stats Julio Jones has mostly better stats than Calvin does.

So where do Barry Sanders and Tony Gonzalez rank on your list of all-time RBs and TEs?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:49 PM 09-17-2020
Jason Taylor and Terrell Davis shouldn't be in the HoF. Jared shouldn't be either.
It really depends what you are asking for HOF players to be.

Taylor has longevity stats like playing in 233 games having 139 sacks which is 7th all time, 3 time all pro etc.
Taylor was good. But, in no way a HOF player. Davis was fantastic for 2-3 years. They letting people in the HOF for 2-3 fantastic years?

I'm totally against both paths into the HOF.

Jared aint no HOF'r. The dude partied way too much while in KC. I was there, I saw him totally wasted so many times. There is no way his staying out in Westport till closing and then going to practice the next day didn't effect his performance. I think thats one reason he got better in Minny was he stopped partying so hard and long.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:52 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
So where do Barry Sanders and Tony Gonzalez rank on your list of all-time RBs and TEs?
There is always exceptions :-) Barry and TG played in 6-7playoff games while CJ only played in 2.
[Reply]
gblowfish 03:16 PM 09-17-2020
Nope.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up