ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>ex-[Chiefs and] Vikings DE Jared Allen expects last stop to be Canton
Eleazar 07:29 AM 09-17-2020
Now eligible, ex-Vikings DE Jared Allen expects last stop to be Canton

By CHRIS TOMASSON | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: September 16, 2020 at 8:00 a.m

Five years after his last calf-roping sack dance, Jared Allen is eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The former Vikings defensive end who retired after the 2015 season could be elected as soon as next February. While Allen said he tries “not to be a self-promoter,’’ he considers himself worthy of the Canton, Ohio, shrine.

“I think my career speaks for itself,” Allen said in a phone interview. “I think the writing’s on the wall and absolutely I think I competed at a level that’s hall-of-fame caliber.”

Allen played in Minnesota from 2008-13, making four of his five Pro Bowls and earning three of his four first-team all-pro nods with the Vikings. He is 12th in NFL history with 136 sacks, including 85½ with Minnesota.

“I think my stats are my stats,” Allen said. “When I played, no one had more sacks than me. I got a text the other day that I was one of the top five for fastest sacks to 100. Everybody that’s above me or (just) below me on the list is in the hall of fame, so I think the body of work speaks for itself.”

Of the top 17 players in NFL history in sacks, 11 are in the hall of fame. Three — Julius Peppers, DeMarcus Ware and Terrell Suggs — are not yet eligible.

But will Allen be a first-ballot selection? With quarterback Peyton Manning, defensive back Charles Woodson and wide receiver Calvin Johnson eligible for the first time, Allen faces competition. The maximum number of modern-era players that can be selected each year is five.

“I joke that I don’t really care when I get in, but if I have to be an asterisk to Peyton Manning’s class, I’m good with that,” Allen said. “I would love to be a first-ballot hall of famer, but I won’t be the one griping and complaining if it doesn’t happen.”

Spoiler!

https://www.twincities.com/2020/09/1...f-fame-worthy/
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:33 AM 09-17-2020
Manning, Woodson, Allen. Calvin Johnson, no.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:37 AM 09-17-2020
Definitely won’t be first ballot.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:43 AM 09-17-2020
He was an excellent long snapper.
[Reply]
Eleazar 07:46 AM 09-17-2020
And an excellent restaurateur
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:48 AM 09-17-2020
I don't remember a single game clinching or game changing play the guy ever made.
[Reply]
Tonka83 08:10 AM 09-17-2020
This post has reminded me that I need to get the horns on the hood of my Caddy polished up. Then put the top down and go booze cruzin out on the back roads.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 08:16 AM 09-17-2020
IMO he’s in that John Abraham-Robert Mathis-Simeon Rice range.

Great players, but not automatic Hall of Famers like JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, and Julius Peppers.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:16 AM 09-17-2020
To use the tired cliche, it is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good.
[Reply]
Sannyasi 08:22 AM 09-17-2020
He’s a real edge case. His career wasn’t particularly memorable to begin with. I can’t think of any significant plays or moments that he’s had. And when you go back and count his stats, they aren’t eye-popping. He was a great player for a long time but I don’t think he’s particularly important to the history of the league, nor is he one of the best players at his position.
[Reply]
Fish 08:26 AM 09-17-2020
Stopping at Applebees for a couple tall boys maybe....
[Reply]
R Clark 08:34 AM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by Sannyasi:
He’s a real edge case. His career wasn’t particularly memorable to begin with. I can’t think of any significant plays or moments that he’s had. And when you go back and count his stats, they aren’t eye-popping. He was a great player for a long time but I don’t think he’s particularly important to the history of the league, nor is he one of the best players at his position.
I agree but that’s not really the standard they use anymore. Look at who they let in last ten yrs
[Reply]
Eleazar 08:49 AM 09-17-2020
He's a strange case. Despite the sack numbers, he doesn't seem like a guy who had a really memorable career. My initial reaction is that he doesn't seem like a hall of famer but on a statistical basis you can't really make a case for keeping him out.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 09:01 AM 09-17-2020
4 x First Team All Pro, led the league in sacks twice, 136 career sacks

I think he gets in eventually, but he isn’t a no-brainer selection.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 09:01 AM 09-17-2020
If sacks alone are enough then he should get in but how many tackles? Then again they let everyone in these days. It's a joke.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up