ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2708 of 3903
« First < 1708220826082658269827042705270627072708 270927102711271227182758280832083708 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 06:41 PM 07-24-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
More cases equal more deaths pete this isn’t hard man. Individually, it may be mild illness for however many, but it’s not for some. So higher case counts mean more deaths.
I never said they didn't....read what I said and don't put words in my mouth which is what you are doing. Just because you get it doesn't mean you will die. So cases do not necessarily = death on a 1-1 ratio. In fact we are seeing that ratio improve favorably.
[Reply]
O.city 06:44 PM 07-24-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I never said they didn't....read what I said and don't put words in my mouth which is what you are doing. Just because you get it doesn't mean you will die. So cases do not necessarily = death on a 1-1 ratio. In fact we are seeing that ratio improve favorably.
No individually it’s doesn’t mean you will die. Statistically, the more cases there are, the more deaths there will be. If IFR is 0.25, 0.25 of 100k is more than 0.25 of 50k

So that’s why cases matter
[Reply]
O.city 06:45 PM 07-24-2020
We might be but cases is not what matters. That's the point. What does cases translate too? I mean no one freaks out when "everyone is getting the flu" because we know it means you will get sick and be back to normal. At some point that is going to happen with Covid as well.

So while there is obviously a rise in cases we have to really keep perspective on what that means. I mean the upward move in deaths was a bit expected but also a bit surprising that is isn't worse to be honest. Hopefully we are seeing this thing tame itself down some.
I went to a rural public school so my reading isn’t the beat but that first sentence seems to me to say “cases doesn’t matter”
[Reply]
petegz28 06:47 PM 07-24-2020
No individually it’s doesn’t mean you will die. Statistically, the more cases there are, the more deaths there will be. If IFR is 0.25, 0.25 of 100k is more than 0.25 of 50k

So that’s why cases matter
Meh, you aren't reading what I said. What was my first post? Considering the surge in cases we are not seeing a proportional rise in deaths thus far.

What you need to understand is IFR was say at .5 and is now at .25 so.....there ya go
[Reply]
O.city 06:50 PM 07-24-2020
Meh, you aren't reading what I said. What was my first post? Considering the surge in cases we are not seeing a proportional rise in deaths thus far.

What you need to understand is IFR was say at .5 and is now at .25 so.....there ya go
If cases keep going up it will offset the lower IFR. Correct?
[Reply]
petegz28 06:55 PM 07-24-2020
If cases keep going up it will offset the lower IFR. Correct?
Maybe. What if less and less people die as cases go up? You are acting like that cases are going or can go up infinitely when at some point you reach a breaking point that they can't go up at this rate anymore.

You post all this stuff about Sweden and then seem to sorta forget the lessons learned there.

Don't even try to go ?onger on me
[Reply]
O.city 06:58 PM 07-24-2020
Maybe. What if less and less people die as cases go up? You are acting like that cases are going or can go up infinitely when at some point you reach a breaking point that they can't go up at this rate anymore.

You post all this stuff about Sweden and then seem to sorta forget the lessons learned there.

Don't even try to go ?onger on me
Sweden basically is the size of what, the northeast? We’re gonna have to go thru that everywhere.

Seems to be the route we’re taking at this point
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:00 PM 07-24-2020
Sweden basically is the size of what, the northeast? We’re gonna have to go thru that everywhere.

Im pretty sure it's the size of Rhoade Island
[Reply]
petegz28 07:00 PM 07-24-2020

Perhaps but that doesn't change the premise does it?
[Reply]
petegz28 07:01 PM 07-24-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Im pretty sure it's the size of Rhoade Island
So's your face
[Reply]
O.city 07:02 PM 07-24-2020
Perhaps but that doesn't change the premise does it?
It’s gonna have deaths at about that rate
[Reply]
petegz28 07:11 PM 07-24-2020
It’s gonna have deaths at about that rate
Maybe, maybe not. We aren't seeing that here locally and there is nothing that says we have too either.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:53 PM 07-24-2020
Researchers identify enzyme that helps COVID-19 evade immune system

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020...4101595596610/

July 24 (UPI) -- Researchers announced Friday that they have discovered an enzyme that helps COVID-19 enter cells in the human body, allowing the infection to grow.

Called non-structural protein 16, or nsp16, the enzyme is produced by the new coronavirus and acts as a "camouflage," tricking human cells into thinking that the virus is "part of its own code and not foreign," the scientists said in an article published Friday by the journal Nature Communications.

The hope is that the enzyme will provide a target for antiviral drugs designed to cure COVID-19, they said.

"Our work not only enhances basic understanding of this particular pathway, but it provides an opportunity to develop novel antivirals against COVID-19 and emerging coronaviral illnesses in future," co-author Yogesh Gupta told UPI.

These drugs would "block the growth" of the coronavirus in the human body, said Gupta, an assistant professor of biochemistry and structural biology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.

COVID-19 uses nsp16 to disguise its RNA so that human cells can't distinguish the virus's RNA from its own -- allowing the coronavirus to replicate and spread through the body, Gupta said.

"The virus effectively uses this pathway to go undetected and protect its genetic material, while at the same time continuing to grow inside the host body," he said.

In addition to describing its role in the development of COVID-19, Gupta and his team also defined the 3D structure of nsp16. This information can be used by scientists to design antiviral drugs for the disease, they said.

These new drugs would be designed to block nsp16 from disguising its RNA, meaning the human immune system would see the virus as foreign and attack it, according to the researchers.

The findings by Gupta and his colleagues add to research published by the journal Science on July 17, which suggested that another non-structural protein created by the new coronavirus, nsp1, also might work to block the human body's immune system response.

"Viruses need to evade or counteract the immune system to establish an infection," the co-author of the earlier study, Konstantin M. J. Sparrer, told UPI.

"Normally, any infection would trigger the expression of hundreds of antiviral proteins," said Sparrer, a researcher at the Institute of Molecular Virology at Ulm University Medical Center in Germany.

He said that because of nsp1, the coronavirus "manipulates its host to promote its own replication, shutting down ... the innate immune system in the process."
[Reply]
BWillie 12:17 AM 07-25-2020
Big family get togethers need to stop.

There is also no reason whatsoever for restaurants to be open right now except for carry out. Packing 300 ppl in a building all eating and laughing and talking etc. Cant eat with masks on.

Outside activities without large groups more reasonable.

We could even have a chance to hitting 500k deaths in the next 6 months. We haven't even really had to deal with this thing at the peak of the cold and flu season, either.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:37 AM 07-25-2020
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisiona...9bhg-hcku/data

This is the data from when we were at 131k deaths (were at around 148k now)

36 people 15 years or under had died from Covid-19.

190 people 16 years old to 24 years old.

It appears it would be correct to say that Covid-19 is less fatal than the 2010 H1N1 outbreak in children and teens.

About 105k deaths of ppl 65+ years old of the 131k sampled.

It IS a virus older people should be gravely AFRAID of.

It IS a virus children and teens should not be very afraid of at least to their own health.

Look at how Covid becomes EXPONENTIALLY more dangerous as one ages compared to influenza.
[Reply]
Page 2708 of 3903
« First < 1708220826082658269827042705270627072708 270927102711271227182758280832083708 > Last »
Up