ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 19
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Great Whisky (Whiskey) Thread!
Ming the Merciless 03:43 PM 09-16-2014

If this already exists, feel free to put a link to the proper thread...I searched and found a bourbon thread but alas , no whiskey thread which makes me think my search-fu failed....

But, in case there is not already a whiskey thread:

This thread shall be dedicated to all types of Whiskey.

I will try to make some sort of index up here, as more information is added.

*This is a work in progress...

Whisky / Whiskey
"A type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash"
Each of the subcategories will be defined and include recommendations at different rough price points. Please feel free to post up a recommendation and I will try to get a rough price estimate....

Scotch

Map of Scotch Regions
Spoiler!
There are very strict rules as to which whiskies can be called Scotch. To be called scotch firstly and foremost, the whisky must be made in Scotland. Second, it must be made according to a manner prescribed in detail, by Scottish law. For more see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Single Malt Scotch

To be a "single malt scotch" the whisky must be a "scotch" (duh!) and ALSO be made of ' only water & malted barley at a SINGLE distillery via batch distillation' (see here: LINK)

Blended Scotch

Must be a scotch (see above)..but: Most whisky is blended. It is easier and cheaper to make better tasting whisky than if you attempt the difficult talk of making a single malt. Master blenders do tastings and come up with blends of many different whiskys to achieve a result that they feel is desirable.

Bourbon

Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "Bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits.[3][4] (Wikipedia)

American Rye Whisky

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually corn and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in charred, new oak barrels. The whiskey must be put into such barrels at not more than 125 proof (62.5% abv). Rye whiskey that has been so aged for at least two years and has not been blended with other spirits may be further designated as "straight", as in "straight rye whiskey".[1]

Irish Whiskey

Most Irish pot still whiskey is distilled thrice, while most (but not all) Scotch whisky is distilled twice. Peat is rarely used in the malting process, so that Irish whiskey has a smoother finish as opposed to the smoky, earthy overtones common to some Scotches. There are notable exceptions to these rules in both countries! (Some Irish whiskeys use peat, many Scotches do not)

Japanese Whiskey

Japanese Whiskey production first began around 1870. They started out by trying to emulate Scotch Whisky. Areas of Hokkaido are known to have climates similar to Scotland, and the difficulties of single malt production make it such that mainly Japanese whisky is blended.

[Reply]
Indian Chief 07:34 AM 06-16-2015
Just picked up the Laphroaig 15 200th anniversary edition. Impressions to follow.
[Reply]
Amnorix 07:51 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin:
I tried The MacAllan...did not love

I tried Glenlivet 12...meh

A friend bought me a glass of Laphroaig 10...by far the most pleasant Scotch experience to date

I find that stuff nasty, but to each his own.

You're up there in the smokey section. Maybe try Ardbeg, Talisker, etc. See link to post with scotch flavor map:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...5&postcount=36
[Reply]
phisherman 10:15 PM 06-16-2015
I have really been digging High West's rye blends lately. Sipping on Bourye tonight, a blend of 10 and 16 year old ryes with a bit of 9 year old bourbon. Super smooth.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:44 PM 06-16-2015
High West does a great job. Their Campfire is one of those bottles I always have to have in stock.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 05:35 PM 06-24-2015
Going here on Saturday: http://www.theflatironroom.com

Check out the whisky list. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 02:18 PM 07-19-2015
check what the wifey got me for me birthday
Attached: laph.jpg (117.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 06:25 PM 11-07-2015
Had me some of this the other night:

Glenfarclas 12 year old speyside

Was very sweet. Fruity and spicy and concentrated explosion of sherry.

Zero peat.

Right off the bat it was almost too sweet and too fruity, but as the ice melted it and it mellowed out, it was very enjoyable.

Its a mid-grade around maybe 50$ a bottle....I enjoyed it ...I wouldn't rush out to buy another one but it would be a great after dinner drink or paired with a desert or if you like fruity/sherry it could be a daily driver.

My recommend is a glass full of ice and pour it deep and wait a bit for it to get all melty and mellow.
[Reply]
Aries Walker 06:38 PM 11-07-2015
So when I went up to Vermont in June, I happened upon a presentation of a small local distillery whose spokesman had the temperament of a 19th century carnival barker. He was talking up their products and offering samples of their vodka, their 'blue agave' (that is, Tequila, except from Vermont), and their Snowfall brand whiskey. The odd thing about Snowfall was that it was clear, which (as he passed out complimentary shots) he explained as being the result of it not being aged in the barrels as most whiskey is. The aging, he explained to the uninitiated, gave it its color as well as the flavor of the wood. As they did not age Snowfall, it had no color, and relied only on the flavor of the grain, which I have to admit was fairly smooth.

Those of us who were there started looking at each other as we downed the samples. "Isn't there a name for whiskey that hasn't been aged in casks?" we each thought out loud, although we all knew the answer. Whiskey that has not been aged in a cask is, of course, moonshine.

Naturally, I coughed up the 35 bucks and bought a bottle. I took it out to Indiana so my better half and I could try some together. Our joint result was that we could mark off the 'tried moonshine' box in our list of life accomplishments, but neither of us were anxious to thunder out to the local distillery to make a habit of it. So, now I have the remainder back here.

Naturally, I'll be taking it to this year's New Year's Eve party, and make my friends drink it. Perhaps we'll use it as Party Foul Punishment Drink. It's only fair.
[Reply]
KCTitus 08:42 PM 11-07-2015
Originally Posted by Aries Walker:
So when I went up to Vermont in June, I happened upon a presentation of a small local distillery whose spokesman had the temperament of a 19th century carnival barker. He was talking up their products and offering samples of their vodka, their 'blue agave' (that is, Tequila, except from Vermont), and their Snowfall brand whiskey. The odd thing about Snowfall was that it was clear, which (as he passed out complimentary shots) he explained as being the result of it not being aged in the barrels as most whiskey is. The aging, he explained to the uninitiated, gave it its color as well as the flavor of the wood. As they did not age Snowfall, it had no color, and relied only on the flavor of the grain, which I have to admit was fairly smooth.

Those of us who were there started looking at each other as we downed the samples. "Isn't there a name for whiskey that hasn't been aged in casks?" we each thought out loud, although we all knew the answer. Whiskey that has not been aged in a cask is, of course, moonshine.

Naturally, I coughed up the 35 bucks and bought a bottle. I took it out to Indiana so my better half and I could try some together. Our joint result was that we could mark off the 'tried moonshine' box in our list of life accomplishments, but neither of us were anxious to thunder out to the local distillery to make a habit of it. So, now I have the remainder back here.

Naturally, I'll be taking it to this year's New Year's Eve party, and make my friends drink it. Perhaps we'll use it as Party Foul Punishment Drink. It's only fair.
It's good to live in the South, where the true moonshine is readily available if you know someone who knows someone...

Some of the best liquor is illegal liquor and a pure 'apple pie' moonshine is better than anything you get in the liquor store.
[Reply]
KCTitus 08:45 PM 11-07-2015
oh...and not to derail the thread...

Anything from Buffalo Trace...Pappy, Eagle, Buffalo Trace...
[Reply]
Indian Chief 10:54 PM 11-07-2015
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
Had me some of this the other night:

http://www.drinks-of-the-world.de/bi...0106,s-600.jpg

Glenfarclas 12 year old speyside

Was very sweet. Fruity and spicy and concentrated explosion of sherry.

Zero peat.

Right off the bat it was almost to sweet and too fruity, but as the ice melted it and it mellowed out, it was very enjoyable.

Its a mid-grade around maybe 50$ a bottle....I enjoyed it ...I wouldn't rush out to buy another one but it would be a great after dinner drink or paired with a desert or if you like fruity/sherry it could be a daily driver.

My recommend is a glass full of ice and pour it deep and wait a bit for it to get all melty and mellow.
That's exactly how I feel about Glenfarclas. It is a great after dinner, cold night, sitting by a fire Scotch. I have a 40 year old farclas that has yet to be opened. I'll be sure to post about that once it is opened.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 12:46 AM 11-08-2015
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:

Thats pretty nice

my local haunt is here:

http://jackandtonys.com/

they have a pretty sizeable list too
[Reply]
Dylan 11:07 AM 11-08-2015
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:

Awesome.

The Flatiron District in Manhattan was named after the Flatiron Building (23rd St.)

[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 07:52 AM 11-09-2015
Has anyone had anything from Balcones distillery in Texas?
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 09:10 AM 11-09-2015
You ever get whiskey dick pawn?
[Reply]
Page 13 of 19
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Up