ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 19
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Great Whisky (Whiskey) Thread!
Ming the Merciless 03:43 PM 09-16-2014

If this already exists, feel free to put a link to the proper thread...I searched and found a bourbon thread but alas , no whiskey thread which makes me think my search-fu failed....

But, in case there is not already a whiskey thread:

This thread shall be dedicated to all types of Whiskey.

I will try to make some sort of index up here, as more information is added.

*This is a work in progress...

Whisky / Whiskey
"A type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash"
Each of the subcategories will be defined and include recommendations at different rough price points. Please feel free to post up a recommendation and I will try to get a rough price estimate....

Scotch

Map of Scotch Regions
Spoiler!
There are very strict rules as to which whiskies can be called Scotch. To be called scotch firstly and foremost, the whisky must be made in Scotland. Second, it must be made according to a manner prescribed in detail, by Scottish law. For more see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Single Malt Scotch

To be a "single malt scotch" the whisky must be a "scotch" (duh!) and ALSO be made of ' only water & malted barley at a SINGLE distillery via batch distillation' (see here: LINK)

Blended Scotch

Must be a scotch (see above)..but: Most whisky is blended. It is easier and cheaper to make better tasting whisky than if you attempt the difficult talk of making a single malt. Master blenders do tastings and come up with blends of many different whiskys to achieve a result that they feel is desirable.

Bourbon

Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "Bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits.[3][4] (Wikipedia)

American Rye Whisky

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually corn and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in charred, new oak barrels. The whiskey must be put into such barrels at not more than 125 proof (62.5% abv). Rye whiskey that has been so aged for at least two years and has not been blended with other spirits may be further designated as "straight", as in "straight rye whiskey".[1]

Irish Whiskey

Most Irish pot still whiskey is distilled thrice, while most (but not all) Scotch whisky is distilled twice. Peat is rarely used in the malting process, so that Irish whiskey has a smoother finish as opposed to the smoky, earthy overtones common to some Scotches. There are notable exceptions to these rules in both countries! (Some Irish whiskeys use peat, many Scotches do not)

Japanese Whiskey

Japanese Whiskey production first began around 1870. They started out by trying to emulate Scotch Whisky. Areas of Hokkaido are known to have climates similar to Scotland, and the difficulties of single malt production make it such that mainly Japanese whisky is blended.

[Reply]
Strongside 07:14 PM 04-10-2015
Going to a dinner party at a friends house tomorrow night. Both he and his wife are huge scotch drinkers. He's got over 3 grand in his cabinet, and I'm gonna taste alllllll of it.
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 09:10 PM 04-10-2015
Originally Posted by Strongside:
Going to a dinner party at a friends house tomorrow night. Both he and his wife are huge scotch drinkers. He's got over 3 grand in his cabinet, and I'm gonna taste alllllll of it.
order a dram of Laphroaig 10 year, neat, with a splash of water. Let it wash over you.
[Reply]
In58men 09:50 PM 04-10-2015

[Reply]
cdcox 09:57 PM 04-10-2015
Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin:
order a dram of Laphroaig 10 year, neat, with a splash of water. Let it wash over you.
I was sipping one of these tonight and my daughter said it smelled like a sharpie. :-)
[Reply]
Miles 10:20 PM 04-10-2015
Originally Posted by cdcox:
I was sipping one of these tonight and my daughter said it smelled like a sharpie. :-)
I love certain types of scotch but do not disagree with your daughter. It tastes about that way too but have friends that love it so I keep trying it. Did you like it early on or was it more of an acquired taste?
[Reply]
Miles 10:26 PM 04-10-2015
Really enjoy what I have had from Balvenie. The 12yr doublewood is my general stable and several of their more aged offerings have also been really good. However, feel like I'm missing something by not branching out but in that price range I tend to stick with what I know.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:48 PM 04-10-2015
Originally Posted by Miles:
I love certain types of scotch but do not disagree with your daughter. It tastes about that way too but have friends that love it so I keep trying it. Did you like it early on or was it more of an acquired taste?
I liked it fine from the beginning, but my palate is wide open. I love complex and unusual flavors.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 11:10 PM 04-10-2015
I liked it fine from the beginning, but my palate is wide open. I love complex and unusual flavors.
I was the same way. First pour and I was in love. Same thing with Lagavulin and Bruichladdich.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 11:11 PM 04-10-2015
Copper Run makes a good whiskey. They set up shop in a Walnut Grove, just a little south of Sprinfield. Very smooth with a nutty flavor and hot finish.
[Reply]
penguinz 02:07 PM 04-11-2015
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I drink Crown Royal too. When I was in college, I'd shoot Wild Turkey in the bar until I fell off the barstool. Also drank lots of Jim Beam playing all night poker (and doing other things). Now I just drink Crown Royal now and again. I'm much more into quality than quantity when it comes to all types of alcohol.
Crown is not quality.
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 08:32 PM 04-11-2015
I tried The MacAllan...did not love

I tried Glenlivet 12...meh

A friend bought me a glass of Laphroaig 10...by far the most pleasant Scotch experience to date

I want to try Bunnahabhain

[Reply]
penguinz 07:45 PM 05-30-2015
Getting ready to break into a bottle of Bib & Tucker.
Attached: IMG_20150530_193205.jpg (119.6 KB) 
[Reply]
lewdog 07:46 PM 05-30-2015
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Getting ready to break into a bottle of Bib & Tucker.
Looks fancy. How do you drink something this fancy?
[Reply]
penguinz 07:47 PM 05-30-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Looks fancy. How do you drink something this fancy?
Out of a Baileys Irish Cream glass because it is the only clean glass I have right now. ;-)
[Reply]
cdcox 09:36 PM 06-13-2015
McClelland's Islay is my latest attempt to find a low priced single malt. There is something nasty going on here. The nose is smokey and sweet. Mouthfeel is thin with a touch of oiliness. So far so good. The taste and finish is where everything goes wrong. Astringent, peaty, chemical, saccharine, licorice, dirty sock water. I'll finish the bottle, but I won't be a repeat customer for this regrettable malt.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 19
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Up