ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Jayson Oweh, Penn State
staylor26 11:02 PM 02-12-2021
I don’t see this guy getting a lot of love on CP, so I figured I’d start a discussion because I really love his upside and I could easily see him being the pick at 31.

He has very great length and he’s a freak athletically. The problem is he had a very weird season, like a lot of other prospects, where he didn’t get any sacks in a small sample size of games. If you watch the tape though, you can see him flashing and getting pressure on a fairly consistent basis relative to the lack of production.

Despite the stats, he clearly was a better player than in 2019 where he recorded 5 sacks, just an example of how those stats can be misleading in a season where he only played 7 games.

He hasn’t been playing football for a long time, but he’s not just an athlete. He’s definitely a football player and could be our Sneed/Gay/Thornhill/Jones at DE.

We have athletic freaks all over this defense, but not on the edge. I love Clark, but he’s not that. You add that to what we already have though?

This defense could be playing like a top 5 defense down the stretch in 2021.

When you’re picking at 31, these are the kind of guys that could make drafting late irrelevant. This guys just scratching the surface, and with our staff I have full confidence he could reach that potential and give us a top 10 talent at 31.
[Reply]
O.city 09:14 AM 02-15-2021
Yeah I think I like Perkins the best
[Reply]
staylor26 09:21 AM 02-15-2021
I’m a big fan of Perkins, but I’ve seen little to no 1st round hype for him.

He’s another guy that most have as a mid/late 2nd, and some even have him in the 3rd.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:09 AM 02-15-2021
Love the speed and bend Perkins shows on tape. But yeah he’s a 3rd rd pick in Matt Miller’s mock.

I hope we spend multiple picks on these types of guys. Loved what we saw from Wharton. Can only help us to get more athleticism on the edges.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:00 AM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
We picked Tyreek in the 5th rd
And he became a superstar.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:01 AM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Of the edge rushers likely to be available at 31 who have potential to play like top 10-15 picks, it looks laws that are causing them to drop are:

1) Oweh - production questions. Does he look like Tarzan and play like Jane?
2) Perkins - discipline questions. He failed a drug test!
3) Phillips - concussion questions. He's had enough that the next one could end his career.

Of all those options, the question/issue I'm least concerned about is Perkins getting popped for marijuana. He has top 10-15 pick upside as well.

And the "heavy hands" thing stands out to me... that seems to be a trait this staff looks for. Every scouting report I've seen on Perkins mentions that.
Perkins is the least worrisome.

Phillips is the most, IMO.

After the recent history we've had, this team has no business investing in guys that might not be able to play.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:27 PM 02-15-2021
Just to give some perspective on how high the draft community is on Oweh:

Jeremiah has him 27th in his overall rankings
Zierlein has him 18th
Brugler has him in the top 25
[Reply]
wachashi 04:07 PM 02-18-2021
For what it's worth, from Kyle Crabbs at TDN on Oweh:

"I wouldn’t pigeonhole him into being scheme exclusive, but tight alignment defenses will cause a steeper transition period to the pros. Wide-9 and odd fronts that let their rushers align with some extra outside leverage are most friendly to his immediate skill set. He’s got the athleticism to develop into anything a coaching staff wants, but you’ll need patience and to spend significant time developing his technical prowess for him to live up to all of his potential. "
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:25 PM 02-18-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Just to give some perspective on how high the draft community is on Oweh:

Jeremiah has him 27th in his overall rankings
Zierlein has him 18th
Brugler has him in the top 25
Jeremiah has us taking an often injured guard at #31.

I don't know how much stock I'm putting in his opinion.

Oweh is pretty consensus late first, early second.

I'm not opposed.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:24 PM 02-18-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Throwing up 9 pressures against Indiana doesn't wow me. Do that every game against all the competition on the schedule and you'll wow me.

Perkins averaged nearly 8 pressures a game in the 6 he was able to play this year. The guy makes Oweh look like a bitch and gets zero love because of that drug suspension. I look at the top-15 teams he wreaked havoc on the past couple years, not the Indiana's of the world.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on Oweh. I don't get the fascination in the first round by anyone, not just you but all the analysts. And on top of it, the lack of love for Perkins and Tryon who, on the field, have just looked like much better players.
I'm not familiar with Indianas offensive line talent but I do know that was a pretty physical team. Bama stole their strength and conditioning coach. I had trouble really evaluating anything penn st this year it seemed like every game they played was like the Chiefs super bowl game. Shit even Nebraska beat them and I dont remember their rushers standing out that game.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:42 PM 02-22-2021
Ah so that’s why he’s a first rd prospect with draft analysts. Looks like the kid ran a 4.33 40 back in 2019, albeit not at his reported 252 lbs but still thats nuts.

He still scares the shut out of me for a first round pick
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:50 AM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
^^^^

Has done no homework on the guy if he thinks he’s just an athlete and not a football player.

I don’t know how many times I can say it. There’s a reason this guy is a consensus 1st round player despite the lack of production this year. He appears to have the intangibles to reach his upside.

“Make no mistake about it he’s not just an athlete, he’s a football player” and “he wasn’t productive this year but he was very disruptive” is in about every scouting report you can find.
I haven't been following this thread, but keep in mind Oweh's "lack of production" includes 0 sacks this past year.

Zero sacks.

You want to know who else had very few sacks but was insanely disruptive? I was in love with the guy.

Owamagbe Odighizuwa. I loved him. He had very few sacks but his penetration was insane.

The Giants draft him in the 3rd (injury concerns tanked him hard), and he tanked out of the NFL.

I love physicals -- that's why I loved Tanoh Kpassagnon. But I do need production in college before I start dropping firsts on people, or even 2nds.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:43 AM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I haven't been following this thread, but keep in mind Oweh's "lack of production" includes 0 sacks this past year.

Zero sacks.

You want to know who else had very few sacks but was insanely disruptive? I was in love with the guy.

Owamagbe Odighizuwa. I loved him. He had very few sacks but his penetration was insane.

The Giants draft him in the 3rd (injury concerns tanked him hard), and he tanked out of the NFL.

I love physicals -- that's why I loved Tanoh Kpassagnon. But I do need production in college before I start dropping firsts on people, or even 2nds.
Thanks for pointing out something that’s been said over and over again in this thread!

He might’ve had 0 sacks, but he consistently pressured the QB and was very disruptive on tape. He had an 18% PRWR. He also had 6 sacks in 2019, so it’s not like he’s incapable. He clearly improved in 2020 despite the drop in production too. It was a weird year (which has also been said over and over again).
[Reply]
louie aguiar 12:23 PM 03-03-2021
Any thoughts on Azeez Ojulari? I've seen him mocked to the chiefs in a couple mock drafts. He seems to have some nice pass rush skills but I'm not sure if he can hold up against the run at DE in a 4-3 scheme.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:32 PM 03-03-2021
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
Any thoughts on Azeez Ojulari? I've seen him mocked to the chiefs in a couple mock drafts. He seems to have some nice pass rush skills but I'm not sure if he can hold up against the run at DE in a 4-3 scheme.
I think he's a 3-4 OLB. I don't think he fits here.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:36 PM 03-03-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I think he's a 3-4 OLB. I don't think he fits here.
That might be the case, but he’s no Dee Ford. He’s stout at the point of attack and much better against the run.

3-4 OLB is certainly the ideal role for him, but I wouldn’t say he can’t play in a 4-3 either.

Now he’s definitely not a base SDE in this defense, so if you take him, it’s to be a situational pass rusher and eventually replace Clark.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up