ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Jayson Oweh, Penn State
staylor26 11:02 PM 02-12-2021
I don’t see this guy getting a lot of love on CP, so I figured I’d start a discussion because I really love his upside and I could easily see him being the pick at 31.

He has very great length and he’s a freak athletically. The problem is he had a very weird season, like a lot of other prospects, where he didn’t get any sacks in a small sample size of games. If you watch the tape though, you can see him flashing and getting pressure on a fairly consistent basis relative to the lack of production.

Despite the stats, he clearly was a better player than in 2019 where he recorded 5 sacks, just an example of how those stats can be misleading in a season where he only played 7 games.

He hasn’t been playing football for a long time, but he’s not just an athlete. He’s definitely a football player and could be our Sneed/Gay/Thornhill/Jones at DE.

We have athletic freaks all over this defense, but not on the edge. I love Clark, but he’s not that. You add that to what we already have though?

This defense could be playing like a top 5 defense down the stretch in 2021.

When you’re picking at 31, these are the kind of guys that could make drafting late irrelevant. This guys just scratching the surface, and with our staff I have full confidence he could reach that potential and give us a top 10 talent at 31.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:40 PM 02-13-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Just watched some footage on him. He looks like a 3rd rd player that will be taken in the 2nd due to measurabled and athleticism.
:-)

I can’t wait to bump this thread when he inevitably goes in the 1st or very early in the 2nd.

Again, it doesn’t matter whether it’s DJ, Zierlein, Brugler, the guys at TDN, they ALL have him as a 1st rounder.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:51 AM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:

I can’t wait to bump this thread when he inevitably goes in the 1st or very early in the 2nd.

Again, it doesn’t matter whether it’s DJ, Zierlein, Brugler, the guys at TDN, they ALL have him as a 1st rounder.
It doesn't matter if he goes in the 1st or if he's rated by the media draftniks in the 1st. What really will be key is his career trajectory. I think he'd be alot better off if a team running a 3-4 drafts him as an OLB than he will be a 4-3 team at DE in terms of immediate impact.

Nobody is arguing he doesn't have the physical merits to become a good player, or at least I'm not. I just don't think he's a guy you take in round 1. You brought up Willie Gay and he's a phenomenal example of a guy you take later than round 1. IF Gay's on-field game (and availability) was on par with his physical abilities, he would have been a top 20 pick. He went 63rd. Veach banked on coaching that athletic ability up and he did it without spending a 1st. I look at Oweh the same way.

At some point I might release my DE analysis for Direkshun, but I can tell you where I'd have guys on my board in terms of talent, projection, and scheme fit:

1. Gregory Rousseau, Miami (6'6" 260)
2. Kwity Paye, Michigan (6'4" 277)
3. Ronnie Perkins, Oklahoma (6'3' 255)
4. Joe Tryon, Washington (6'5" 262)
5. Joseph Ossai, Texas (6'4" 250)
6. Jaelen Phillips, Miami (6'5" 260)*
7. Jayson Oweh, Penn State (6'5" 260)
8. Elerson Smith, Northern Iowa (6'6" 250)
9. Patrick Jones II, Pitt (6'5" 260)
10. Carlos Basham, Jr., Wake Forest (6'5" 285)
11. Rashad Weaver, Pitt (6'5" 270)
12. Dayo Odeyingbo, Vanderbilt (6'5" 279)
13. Daelin Hayes, Notre Dame (6'4" 268)
14. Jordan Smith, UAB (6'6" 255)
15. Jonathon Cooper, Ohio State (6'3" 255)

Notable omissions as guys I see as 3-4 OLB only: Azeez Ojulari, Georgia (6'3" 240), Zaven Collins (6'4' 250), Quincy Roche, Miami (6'3" 240), Shaka Toney, Penn State (6'3" 235), Hamilcar Rashed, Oregon State (6'4" 240), Chris Rumph, Duke (6'3" 235)
*#3 if not for Concussion history
[Reply]
staylor26 03:01 AM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
It doesn't matter if he goes in the 1st or if he's rated by the media draftniks in the 1st. What really will be key is his career trajectory. I think he'd be alot better off if a team running a 3-4 drafts him as an OLB than he will be a 4-3 team at DE in terms of immediate impact.

Nobody is arguing he doesn't have the physical merits to become a good player, or at least I'm not. I just don't think he's a guy you take in round 1. You brought up Willie Gay and he's a phenomenal example of a guy you take later than round 1. IF Gay's on-field game (and availability) was on par with his physical abilities, he would have been a top 20 pick. He went 63rd. Veach banked on coaching that athletic ability up and he did it without spending a 1st. I look at Oweh the same way.

At some point I might release my DE analysis for Direkshun, but I can tell you where I'd have guys on my board in terms of talent, projection, and scheme fit:

1. Gregory Rousseau, Miami (6'6" 260)
2. Kwity Paye, Michigan (6'4" 277)
3. Ronnie Perkins, Oklahoma (6'3' 255)
4. Joe Tryon, Washington (6'5" 262)
5. Joseph Assai, Texas (6'4" 250)
6. Jaelen Phillips, Miami (6'5" 260)*
7. Jayson Oweh, Penn State (6'5" 260)
8. Elerson Smith, Northern Iowa (6'6" 250)
9. Patrick Jones II, Pitt (6'5" 260)
10. Carlos Basham, Jr., Wake Forest (6'5" 285)
11. Rashad Weaver, Pitt (6'5" 270)
12. Dayo Odeyingbo, Vanderbilt (6'5" 279)
13. Daelin Hayes, Notre Dame (6'4" 268)
14. Jordan Smith, UAB (6'6" 255)
15. Jonathon Cooper, Ohio State (6'3" 255)

Notable omissions as guys I see as 3-4 OLB only: Azeez Ojulari, Georgia (6'3" 240), Quincy Roche, Miami (6'3" 240), Shaka Toney, Penn State (6'3" 235), Hamilcar Rashed, Oregon State (6'4" 240), Chris Rumph, Duke (6'3" 235)
*#3 if not for Concussion history
Oweh has been a consensus late 1st to earl 2nd from the beginning of the process while Gay went from a mid rounder to a 2nd. There’s a huge difference there between the 2.
[Reply]
kccrow 06:50 AM 02-14-2021
Oweh has been a consensus late 1st to earl 2nd from the beginning of the process while Gay went from a mid rounder to a 2nd. There’s a huge difference there between the 2.
I've seen Oweh all over the board and moved up and down. Some of the boards that put him on their big board in the top 32 players don't even have him in mocks in round 1.

If you want to pin your hopes to one of the least developed players in a deep class of pass rushers, that's up to you. I love the athletic traits, but I'll take the guy with the same traits and better on-field production all the time. If the Chiefs take him, I'll support it. I don't hate the player, I just think there are a few better prospects out there than him.

Give me Ronnie Perkins, who had 23 tackles, 46 QB pressures, 19 hurries, and 5.5 sacks in 6 games this year.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:30 AM 02-14-2021

He could due to word of mouth but is that really a player you want to draft in the first rd?

I’m not drafting a player like this over some of the OL and receiving threats that should be there. It’s just too damn risky to draft a player like that with what’s available.

2nd rd? Sure.

How many players that had measurable but not production that went in the first rd were successful?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:14 AM 02-14-2021
If we stay at #31, I'd like to go DE.

If it's Oweh I won't complain. I'd probably rather have a Jalen Phillips.

My preference would be to move down to the late 30's, early 40's and pick up a third or early fourth.

At that point, there are 4 or 5 guys even at DE that I'd be happy with.

It's perfectly fine to fall in love with a player pre-draft, but remember that this year there are a lot of differences in scouting opinions and that the draft is not going to be anywhere near a consensus on anyone like it normally is.
[Reply]
O.city 10:41 AM 02-14-2021
Watched some of him. Looks interesting. Seems like one of those 2nd round guys that have the talent to go round one but aren’t polished or whatever.

Kind of like Chris Jones was.

If you could trade down 10 spots pick up a 3rd then take him that would be ideal imo
[Reply]
RunKC 11:21 AM 02-14-2021
Maybe it’s just what I’m seeing but man I really like what I see from Joe Tryon. Dude has a below average first year as a college starter then in 2019 he exploded onto the scene with 12.5 TFL’s and 8 sacks.

The guy looks kinda similar in size to Oweh at 6’5” but bigger at a recorded 262 lbs. and just looking at the guy you know he’s got long ass arms.

If we pick Oweh then I will jump aboard, but my preference is Tryon.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:54 PM 02-14-2021
I love Oweh at 31. I still remember how much I liked the Tamba Hali pick and how much shit I took for it. :-)
[Reply]
kccrow 01:30 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I love Oweh at 31. I still remember how much I liked the Tamba Hali pick and how much shit I took for it. :-)
Hali also came off 65 tackles, 17 for a loss, and 11 sacks. That's a big difference.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:32 PM 02-14-2021
Hali also came off 65 tackles, 17 for a loss, and 11 sacks. That's a big difference.
Oweh didn't just forget how to play, though. It was a weird year, especially in the B1G.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:39 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Oweh didn't just forget how to play, though. It was a weird year, especially in the B1G.
He wasn't that much of a player the year before. I just don't think he's in consideration in the 1st for any team, much less the Chiefs. I could be wrong.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:55 PM 02-14-2021
He wasn't that much of a player the year before. I just don't think he's in consideration in the 1st for any team, much less the Chiefs. I could be wrong.
Which is why I’ve tried to point out that all of the experts and most plugged in guys (in terms of how the league views prospects) have him in the 1st.

In a year where there’s no consensus on a lot of these guys, that absolutely means something.

Also, he had 6 sacks in 2019 despite not even being a starter. You can’t put emphasis on production then turn around and ignore it at the same time.
[Reply]
O.city 03:17 PM 02-14-2021
Lack of production always scares me when a guy is that athletic I will admit

These are the types of guys you usually draft at the end of the first though
[Reply]
kccrow 06:00 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Lack of production always scares me when a guy is that athletic I will admit

These are the types of guys you usually draft at the end of the first though
They aren't though. They aren't the guys that get taken at the end of the first because they haven't been taken at the end of the first. No player with his lack of production over the last 12 games of his career has ever been drafted in the first round.

You guys can feel free to look back for yourselves and find an example.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up