ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 39
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2021 General Fitness thread
Buehler445 11:48 AM 01-02-2021
How's everyone's 2021? These threads have been full of good stuff in years past.

What are we doing this year?
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:07 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Wanna link it up?
https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightf...mended_routine

They have a lot of good reading material, too.
[Reply]
Romeo64 01:11 PM 01-02-2021
I have a friend who tried DDP yoga and really liked it, increased flexibility and lost weight. Former Pro Rassler Diamond Dallas Page supposedly created it. I keep saying I'm going to try it but I'm too lazy right now. Their program is isn't free though.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:34 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:

Also walking a couple miles every couple days, with two monster hills nearby. Dealing with calf tightness and shin splints, depending on the day... getting old sucks.
Shin splints are the fucking devil. I ran track in high school and knew what shin splints were. And I'm genuinely not a dumbass. But in college I pulled my hamstring pretty seriously and was out of virtually anything for awhile and put on some weight. So when I got it back together enough to run some distance I over did it. A lot. I got shin splints so bad I could barely walk. I'm not a dumbass. But obviously I'm a dumbass.

So on the shin splint thing, I've tried a bunch of different things. Here are are the things that moved the needle for me.

I overpronate really bad when I run, so I always wanted minimalist shoes so it would let my foot do it's thing. I think that's wrong. They improved when I bought stability type shoes that prevent the pronation.

www.roadrunnersports.com has the best descriptions of how shit works and where different shoes fit into their matrix. Stability might not be where you need to be, but that site is where I started to learn about the different types of shoes. And their customer service is really good. You're not getting anything cheap, but I throw them some business, because they've done me some good.

The second aspect is compression. And always outside in. Dad said when dinosaurs roamed the earth he had to shave his legs so they could tape his shins, when I was a kid they had prewrap. I'm not sure what the answer is now, probably kinetic tape, but THIS is what I use. It used to be cheaper, but it has a pad you put on your shinbone and wrap your lower leg with the neoprene wrap. It really helps.

I don't know if it helped or not, but when they're hurting ice helped. Just putting an icepack on them doesn't do much good. So when Buehler445 does something, he fucking does it, so I bought some ace bandages and put an ace bandage on my shin (go outside in), then put the ice pack on and hold it there with a wider ace bandage. Then my stupid ass went to bed. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do that, and early on I would wake up in the middle of the night from pain from too much compression too long, but it worked. I'm sure I looked like a flaming moron, but I didn't care. I was a hurting unit.

Third is calf stretches. I don't know what my major malfunction was with tight calves but when the shin splints were the worst I was stretching my calves every half hour. And I'm not smart enough know why but different stretches stretch different parts of the calf (or different muscles - I don't know. I'm a moron). So I got the best results from doing the flat foot push against the wall stretch, then balls of the foot on a step kind of thing, and a different stretch from getting a belt around the balls of my feet and pulling from a seated position. Now I didn't know it was a thing, but I had to do PT and they had me stretch my achilles which is the same thing with the belt in a chair, except bend your knee. I didn't know that was a good thing, but it really helped.

Big thing is don't be like Buehler445 and let it get out of control. God I'm a fucking idiot. It was 3 years before I could run or play basketball without a bunch of pain. And I think I did that icing thing every day for like a year. Don't be like me.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:45 PM 01-02-2021
Shin splints suck. Dealt with them in track and soccer.

You should ice for 20 minutes max at a time. then 20 minutes off, then repeat. I usually could only do this for about 2 hours at a time before I decided I needed a break from that. Mostly to get rid of shin splints you need to take it easy. Stretching, judicious icing, and rest is the cure.

Then when you're ready, restart your exercise regimen, but go slow. Like 1/3rd of whatever you were doing before. Build up gradually, and if the shin splints return, scale back for a week and then try to build up again. And consistent stretching and ice post-exercise during this time.

Also get after-market insoles. Amazing how they help with all your common foot/ankle/shin issues.
[Reply]
Graystoke 01:48 PM 01-02-2021
I usually do more activities in winter.
So far so good as we have a kickass ice rink out back plus good snow for skate skiing.
Those two activities and chopping wood will get me through the winter and then come spring it’s all about hiking looking for Trout.

Never was a gym guy. Get me outside.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:11 PM 01-02-2021
Hit the weights you fucking yoga boys.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:16 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Hit the weights you fucking yoga boys.
I am, but my flexibility is fucking ass, and my balance is getting worse. Not what you want when crawling around on machinery.

Plus I'm so damned out of shape the Yoga will be a good workout for my dumbass.

But yeah, weights are happening.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:39 PM 01-02-2021
Yoga is like adding a little Bitcoin to your portfolio
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:51 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I’ve done really well in terms of working out 3X a week. My problem is still calories.

I can’t stop eating too many calories
Stop buying bad shit.

I don't keep alcohol or sugary/carby snack foods in the house.

All I ever eat during the week is eggs, protein and fruit/veg.

If I want something bad to eat I save it for the weekend/going out.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:38 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Romeo64:
I have a friend who tried DDP yoga and really liked it, increased flexibility and lost weight. Former Pro Rassler Diamond Dallas Page supposedly created it. I keep saying I'm going to try it but I'm too lazy right now. Their program is isn't free though.
I’ve got it. I just need to start it. You can buy a monthly streaming subscription for like $8 a month.
[Reply]
philfree 03:48 PM 01-02-2021
The Bow Flex Max is still a thing. It get's the old sludge pump pumping.
[Reply]
Brody Wa 04:06 PM 01-02-2021
Today, with the the gyms being closed, my biggest work out consists of walking my dog Brody less than 1 mile per hour.
[Reply]
Dante84 04:33 PM 01-02-2021
Is it possible to pin your own CP threads? I’d like to keep this up top.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:34 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Is it possible to pin your own CP threads? I’d like to keep this up top.
Best I know is you can subscribe to it and get to your subscribed threads in User CP
[Reply]
loochy 04:36 PM 01-02-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Yoga is like adding a little Bitcoin men to your portfoliosex life
FYP
[Reply]
Page 2 of 39
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up