ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 18
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Media Center>Video Card chat
Mephistopheles Janx 03:06 PM 11-06-2020
I just picked up a new monitor (34" Ultra Wide 1440p 144MHz 1500R Curve Samsung Panel -VA) to replace my 3 monitor setup (24" ASUS 1080p). Now I need a new video card to drive the monitor.

My current rig is:

Intel Core i-7 4770k Processor
32GB DDR3 Memory
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 Motherboard
Radeon RX 570 Video Card

This card is going to struggle to push anything more than low to medium graphics on games with this new monitor. Where I'm torn is the cost of new video cards.

If I'm looking hard enough, I can stumble across an open box 5600 for $200 or $230 new. A 5700 for $320 (open box) or $350 new. But at that point... why would I just not drop another $100 for the 6700 at $449?

Ultimately... that makes the 5700 a non player and I'm left choosing between a 5600 at $230 or a 6700 at $450. I'd rather not spend an extra $220 but I feel like the 6700 would probably be the last video card my current build sees.

Then what about the 20x series by nVidia? By paying a touch more I get Ray Tracing which is cool but I'm not paying for a 2080, for what I would pay for a 2070 I may as well snag one of the new AMD cards. A 2060 is going for $320 new... I don't know that Ray Tracing is worth nearly $100.

Better yet... do any of you fellow nerds have an itch to update and want to sell me their 5k/20x series cards?
[Reply]
Pants 04:32 PM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
My son is also in the process of building his first gaming computer. A gamer friend of his gave him a list of components that he recommended, which included an MSI 3060 ti trio.
We can't find it in stock anywhere.
We have found (gone now) the MSI 3060 ti Ventus (only 2 fans) and an EVGA 3060 ti. Do the brands make much difference? The component list had an MSI motherboard, is that why they recommended the MSI version of the 3060?
The brands don't matter at all. Some cards will have better cooling which will let your son potentially set their clocks higher to achieve [very] slightly better performance. Some cards will come pre overclocked. The parts that actually matter are basically all the same across all brands . The things that matter the most are the Nvidia chip numbers (3060 vs 3070 vs 3080 vs 3090) and the Ti vs non-Ti versions (Ti is like a half-step in improvement between the 60-70-80-90).

Any motherboard brand will work with any video card brand (the only exception for now is brand new Intel cards but they are not really a part of this discussion).
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 04:35 PM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by Pants:
The brands don't matter at all. Some cards will have better cooling which will let your son potentially set their clocks higher to achieve [very] slightly better performance. Some cards will come pre overclocked. The parts that actually matter are basically all the same across all brands . The things that matter the most are the Nvidia chip numbers (3060 vs 3070 vs 3080 vs 3090) and the Ti vs non-Ti versions (Ti is like a half-step in improvement between the 60-70-80-90).

Any motherboard brand will work with any video card brand (the only exception for now is brand new Intel cards but they are not really a part of this discussion).
Except Zotac... at least in my opinion and experience. Zotac is a shit tier brand.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 04:36 PM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Except Zotac... at least in my opinion and experience. Zotac is a shit tier brand.
Agree also my personal opinion I don't like pny either
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 04:51 PM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
My new Zotac card came with a 5 year warranty and was highly recommended by someone I trust. The limited experience i've had with Zotac I haven't had any problems.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 04:52 PM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Agree also my personal opinion I don't like pny either
PNY has always been an off brand. Then again i've had a few Asus products die on me as well as Gigabyte.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:54 PM 01-27-2021
My son is also in the process of building his first gaming computer. A gamer friend of his gave him a list of components that he recommended, which included an MSI 3060 ti trio.
We can't find it in stock anywhere.
We have found (gone now) the MSI 3060 ti Ventus (only 2 fans) and an EVGA 3060 ti. Do the brands make much difference? The component list had an MSI motherboard, is that why they recommended the MSI version of the 3060?
Graphics card absolutely does not have to be the same brand as the motherboard. As others have said, the brand really doesn't matter though some avoid Zotac and PNY. Some will say some brands have better customer service than others. If you buy from Best Buy or another reputable store you can use them for your first line of customer service.

My experience with graphics card brands is limited to MSI and EVGA, both of which have been 100% solid grade A performers for me.

Motherboards, I've used ASUS and MSI and both have been solid.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 04:58 PM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Graphics card absolutely does not have to be the same brand as the motherboard. As others have said, the brand really doesn't matter though some avoid Zotac and PNY. Some will say some brands have better customer service than others. If you buy from Best Buy or another reputable store you can use them for your first line of customer service.

My experience with graphics card brands is limited to MSI and EVGA, both of which have been 100% solid grade A performers for me.

Motherboards, I've used ASUS and MSI and both have been solid.
In my experience MSI has been a middle of the road brand and the few EVGA products i've had(motherboard, video card) have been garbage. I have an MSI gaming laptop and it's quite cheaply made for being top of the line in it's time(980 gtx + I7)
[Reply]
vailpass 05:01 PM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
In my experience MSI has been a middle of the road brand and the few EVGA products i've had(motherboard, video card) have been garbage. I have an MSI gaming laptop and it's quite cheaply made for being top of the line in it's time(980 gtx + I7)
Gaming laptops are a whole 'nother conversation; I never understood why someone would want one.

You are saying EVGA gpus are "garbage"? You'd pretty much be alone in that opinion. Their product and customer support is always rated among the very best. What makes you think that?
[Reply]
vailpass 05:04 PM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
PNY has always been an off brand. Then again i've had a few Asus products die on me as well as Gigabyte.
The silicon lottery respects no brand.
[Reply]
Pants 05:06 PM 01-27-2021
I've had all kinds of GPUs over the years.

I currently have an EVGA and zero complaints so far *knocks on wood."

I had an MSI card before this EVGA and it had a major DX12 issue with Battlefield 1 at the time (known MSI issue with that game in that setting). It also had some other minor G-Sync issues but was fine overall.
[Reply]
Pants 05:08 PM 01-27-2021
The silicon lottery respects no brand.
So true.

Shit, I remember when MSI was still Micro Star and Gigabyte had just come on the scene. Both were considered the KIAs/Hyundais of the PC component world. Crazy how things change over time.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 06:16 PM 01-27-2021
Thanks for all of the input.
Are the 3 fan versions of the 3060 worth the extra $100 (or more) cost compared to the 2 fans?

I'm going to start another thread later about the rest of his component list to get more input. I don't want to hijack this thread.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 11:01 PM 01-27-2021
Gaming laptops are a whole 'nother conversation; I never understood why someone would want one.

You are saying EVGA gpus are "garbage"? You'd pretty much be alone in that opinion. Their product and customer support is always rated among the very best. What makes you think that?
The few EVGA components i've used I had nothing but problems with, just my experience.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 11:04 PM 01-27-2021

I got my MSI from a pawn shop for well under half price so I'm not complaining as it's still running. Compared to the ASUS Laptops they're made very cheaply, the space bar i've had serviced several times and it still doesn't work half the time.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:08 PM 01-27-2021
Thanks for all of the input.
Are the 3 fan versions of the 3060 worth the extra $100 (or more) cost compared to the 2 fans?
The only difference, really, is going to be noise as the two fans (assuming they are the same size as the ones that come on the cards with 3) will be need to spin faster than the ones with three in order to maintain cooling for safe operating temperatures.

Up until this latest card I got, a Power Color Vega 56, I've almost always run two fan GPUs with absolutely no issues.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 18
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up