ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Riding/Zero Turn Mowers
blake5676 08:00 AM 10-08-2020
Anyone have strong opinions on best brand, new/used, deck width, etc? We're a few weeks from finishing up building our new house. It's on slightly less than two acres so I'll be needing to get a new mower.

Zero turns look like a hell of a lot of fun, so I'm inclined to go that route. I've heard multiple people throughout the years say things like "just don't go buying one from HD, Lowe's, Menards" and to buy one from a reputable dealer.

Would like to stay somewhere between $2-5k and don't have a terribly strong preference on whether I buy new or used, but any suggestions from the CP hive on your experiences or advice on what to stay away from?
[Reply]
Rasputin 03:59 AM 02-26-2021

[Reply]
Dayze 02-26-2021, 08:18 AM
This message has been deleted by Dayze.
Dayze 08:25 AM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by Holladay:
Why do you need a riding mower? What is your storage space for a riding mower? If you don't have hills to deal with, I would go with a cheapy Walmart mower. Why spend the money on a Grasshopper?

Mowers are not a good investment.
Yeah, I get that. I'm not looking at dropping $5k on a mower.
I want a powerful enough engine; and a platform and trans that will suport pulling some light towing. I want hydro for quick transition. I want to tow a utility cart, law sweeper, aerator. Tired of loading up mulch from grass pad here locally, then unloading to the driveway, then carrying bag by bag around to the back. and I'm not going to mess with a wheel barrow.

I need a riding mower because while I'm not super old, I'm old enough to know I don't wnat to fuck with push mowing anymore. it takes me about 1 hour and 45 to mow, weed eat and bag the front. in the spring, it sucks worse because there are times I can't mow due to being wet/rain. and the growth is such, that I then I have to bag the back. Summer it sucks, because Im out there busting my butt in 90+ heat. at the end, my knees are throbbing and my back is toast.. I'm so exhausted after mowing the summer, I basically don't feel up for doing anything. especially donning gear and going on a motorcycle ride.

I'm the type where I don't mind spending money on quality. in fact, I'd rather spend on quality, than junk, only to have to replace junk at a later time and do it all over again. I also take care of my stuff (cars, motorcycles etc) and maintain them and usually keep them forever.

Plus.............time savings. I want my time back.

for about $2400....it seems worth it.
[Reply]
Holladay 01:21 PM 02-26-2021
All good points.

It sounds like what I use my mower for...utility. You can't do that with a push mower. My mower is an industrial zero turn for +2 acres. It is used to aerate, lawn roll, de-thatch, tow, spray etc.

Yes, you get what you pay for. I said they are a bad investment, but quality, long term for your yard, is a good idea.

In the end, we are guys. My wife doesn't get why I spend so much time and money on those lil green plants.
[Reply]
neech 01:34 PM 02-26-2021
Why do you need a riding mower? What is your storage space for a riding mower? If you don't have hills to deal with, I would go with a cheapy Walmart mower. Why spend the money on a Grasshopper?

Mowers are not a good investment.
I have an average yard and I toyed with buying a JD 20 HP riding mower around 2005, I finally pulled the trigger and personally it was the best investment for me, then I sold (it holds its value very well) and got a Gravely ZT. Mowing in half the time is worth it to me IMO.

if I want a workout I go to the gym not push a lawn mower.
[Reply]
Holladay 04:58 PM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by :
if I want a workout I go to the gym not push a lawn mower.
When we bought our place +25 yrs ago, I didn't have a rider. I pushed it... one... time. It took 5 hours.

I went to the Sears Outlet Store and bought a huge 25 hp 48" deck "Craftsman" mower, thinking it was a quality mower. (BTW pre CP days). Turns out, it was a MTD piece of crap that lasted 1 year.

Yes, quality is the name in almost everything. Although, I can't see a 60" Grasshopper on 1/4 acre plot. Unless for bragging rights.
[Reply]
Punwit 05:55 PM 02-26-2021
I have done some similar research and the gist of that info is if you are planning on any hauling at all that a traditional mower is recommended. ZT's are for mowing .
[Reply]
MTG#10 06:40 PM 02-26-2021

I went to the Sears Outlet Store and bought a huge 25 hp 48" deck "Craftsman" mower, thinking it was a quality mower. (BTW pre CP days). Turns out, it was a MTD piece of crap that lasted 1 year.
I have a 42" 1997 Craftsman mower still going strong as of fall 2020 with only routine maintenance. Not sure if its an "MTD piece of crap" but 23 years for a riding mower is pretty ****ing good in my book.

I am going to upgrade here soon though, last time I tried to change the oil on it I broke a chunk off of the block trying to get the plug unscrewed and had to JB weld it back on. Plus I made some pretty good $ on meme stocks recently and need an excuse to buy something with it.

EDIT: Damn it, I wasted my 10,000th post on this?
[Reply]
ChiefaRoo 11:16 AM 02-27-2021
Grasshopper Lawnmowers, made in Kansas are the best.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 06:42 PM 02-27-2021
Hustler mowers are made in Hesston, KS.

I run the 60" deck that's in the $5-6K range.

Extremely sturdy, thick metal, fast operation, good on rough terrain.

Good resale value.
[Reply]
srvy 12:15 AM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by kjwood75nro:
Hustler mowers are made in Hesston, KS.

I run the 60" deck that's in the $5-6K range.

Extremely sturdy, thick metal, fast operation, good on rough terrain.

Good resale value.
See a lot of Hustler mowers in KC area landscape crews. Used to see almost exclusive Grasshopper now it's a mix of Hustler and Gravely and then the rest.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 12:36 AM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
See a lot of Hustler mowers in KC area landscape crews. Used to see almost exclusive Grasshopper now it's a mix of Hustler and Gravely and then the rest.
I ran an $8-10K Grasshopper for my boss back in high school. It was the type that collected grass clippings in a bin that dumped out back.

It was only used to cut his well-kept, weed-free lawn, yet it still had problems. It cut well, but it was completely gutless, and the grass had to be bone-dry not to plug it up.

If you got it stuck, it was a disaster. Besides weighing a ton, there was no good place to attach a chain, and the metal was flimsy. Also, the deck wasn't firmly attached to the rest of the machine.

On top of that, pushing both handles all the way forward caused it to veer left, so even if it could mow at full speed without bogging down, you couldn't.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:53 AM 02-28-2021
Buy an electric robot mower and 4getaboutit
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:32 AM 02-28-2021
Grasshopper or John Deere cut the best. They are expensive but do the best job by FAR.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
RedRaider56 08:46 AM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
I have a 42" 1997 Craftsman mower still going strong as of fall 2020 with only routine maintenance. Not sure if its an "MTD piece of crap" but 23 years for a riding mower is pretty ****ing good in my book.

I am going to upgrade here soon though, last time I tried to change the oil on it I broke a chunk off of the block trying to get the plug unscrewed and had to JB weld it back on. Plus I made some pretty good $ on meme stocks recently and need an excuse to buy something with it.

EDIT: Damn it, I wasted my 10,000th post on this?
Same here. 42" Craftsman that I purchased in 2001 and still going strong. I had to replace one of the aluminum blade spindles twice on the mower deck. I've hit a couple of large, hidden rocks in my yard and it cracked the spindle housing. other than that, it's been solid. Has the Kohler motor in it instead of the B&S.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:54 AM 02-28-2021
I see a lot of you saying MTD is a piece of junk. Some sure are. More than 90% of mowers are made by Michigan Tool and Die Company. It is about thebparts put in those chasis that make or break the mower.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up