ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Riding/Zero Turn Mowers
blake5676 08:00 AM 10-08-2020
Anyone have strong opinions on best brand, new/used, deck width, etc? We're a few weeks from finishing up building our new house. It's on slightly less than two acres so I'll be needing to get a new mower.

Zero turns look like a hell of a lot of fun, so I'm inclined to go that route. I've heard multiple people throughout the years say things like "just don't go buying one from HD, Lowe's, Menards" and to buy one from a reputable dealer.

Would like to stay somewhere between $2-5k and don't have a terribly strong preference on whether I buy new or used, but any suggestions from the CP hive on your experiences or advice on what to stay away from?
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 09:31 AM 10-08-2020
If you can mow straight up and down those slopes a ZT will work fine. If you have to go across them, youu might try to borrow one to see how they handle the slope. My grandparent’s house has a decent slope on it and their ZT slides all over the place. The big ditch at the bottom of the hill makes for some exciting times, especially if the grass has any moisture on it.
[Reply]
Graystoke 09:33 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by morphius:
Just beware of steep inclines with trees or cliffs. My fathers lake house is a "joy" to mow
I here that loud and clear. I have a two close calls and now I just don't get close to the slope and the water.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:39 AM 10-08-2020
i have a smallish snapper zero turn. were wrapping up summer number 6 of mowing my lawn 1/2 acre and my mothers 1.3 acres. zero issues so far. I opted for the industrial version that had a kawasaki with a few more hp. i grabbed the smaller one than i wanted so it would fit through a small gate at my grandparents, then they turned around and put in a big double gate..
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 09:39 AM 10-08-2020
Just get some rabbits.
[Reply]
MagicHef 09:48 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
No offense, but that doesn't look like a ZT
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Not trying to be picky but that’s not a Zero turn...
It is. The front two wheels are casters and the rear two wheels are controlled independently. If you look closely it has two levers rather than a steering wheel. They obviously wanted to make it as cheaply as possible so they just converted an existing mower model into a zero turn.
[Reply]
Donger 09:50 AM 10-08-2020
If a mower is "zero turn," how does it change direction?
[Reply]
Lzen 09:51 AM 10-08-2020
I bought a house on 2.5 acres back in November and knew I wanted to get a ZT mower. It's a big time saver. It takes about 2.5 hours (1hr per acre, basically) to mow everything. I do have some hills/slopes and trees but it seems to handle all of that just fine. It's a Craftsman 46" deck and I bought it at Lowes. Yes, I do realize that Craftsman has a bad rep on small engine type power equipment. But that doesn't really apply to their mowers from what I've read. It's actually a Briggs a & Stratton engine and the mower is built by MTD.

I will agree with some of the comments that some slopes are just not able to be mowed with a ZT (or any rider, IMO). Ours is a walkout basement and the slope right next to it has to be mowed with a push mower. Same with the drainage ditch out by the main toad.

Oh, and I also got a 25 gallon Fimco trailer tank sprayer to pull with it. It does just fine with that.
[Reply]
MagicHef 09:54 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Zero turn is short for zero radius turn, apparently the word radius is too difficult. It has two drive wheels which are independently controlled, the mower only goes straight if they are spinning at the same speed.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:54 AM 10-08-2020
You could always use your search engine.

Originally Posted by :
The term “zero turn” is short for zero turn radius, meaning that the machine is able to rotate on a dime.
http://www.experts123.com/q/what-doe...turn-mean.html
[Reply]
neech 10:02 AM 10-08-2020
:-)
[Reply]
Donger 10:03 AM 10-08-2020
[Reply]
Lzen 10:19 AM 10-08-2020
I had a feeling you may have just been trying to be a smart alec. Sarcasm doesn't transfer very well on the internet. :-)
[Reply]
MagicHef 10:20 AM 10-08-2020
Figures.
[Reply]
Donger 10:23 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I had a feeling you may have just been trying to be a smart alec. Sarcasm doesn't transfer very well on the internet. :-)
Still, it's a misnomer. If it turns, it's not zero. Should be called zero radius turn instead.

[Reply]
morphius 10:24 AM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
I here that loud and clear. I have a two close calls and now I just don't get close to the slope and the water.
It is fun to be driving along and then all of a sudden be going a completely different direction. haha

It is nice, easy to drive, but I want to make sure buyers are aware to buy for their property.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up