ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The team is not set up great for 2021.
Direckshun 12:03 PM 05-12-2020
Three pre-rebuttals out of the way:

1. We should just focus on 2020. Why worry about 2021?

A. There’s nothing wrong with looking ahead.
B. There’s also nothing with focusing on just the upcoming season either. But GMs and teams don’t approach team building that way and neither do some fans.
C. The goal, one assumes, is to become a dynasty. This team looks great for 2020, but the forecast in 2021 is trickier.

2. We have Mahomes, we good.

A. Mahomes alone ensures that we’re going to be really good. Our goal is more ambitious than being really good.
B. The Packers have Rodgers. The Saints have Brees. Hell, the Colts had Manning. You need a full team to win.

3. In Reid & Veach I trust.

A. Me too, mostly. But see 1A above.
B. If that is the extent to which you currently care about 2021 and beyond, that’s perfectly fine. This forum is generally for looking ahead.

The current outlook for 2021:

Lots of holes, minimal cap space.

This team is signing Jones and Mahomes, and that’s going to zap our ability of making anything but low-grade splashes in free agency.

This is something the AP Lab mentioned yesterday, and I have been suspecting.

They said they understand “running it back” and going for back to back Super Bowls, but the goal has seemed to be a dynasty, and if that’s the case, we’re not set up great for 2021.

There’s not going to be a ton of cap space in 2021 after we ink Jones & Mahomes. We’re going to have huge holes at linebacker (at least one starter, two if we cut Hitch), DE (Clark and Okafor remain under contract, but only Speaks and Danna are behind them, CB (Ward, Sneed, Fenton, BoPete is our depth there), and Sorensen will walk so we’ll need a third safety.

We also continue to have zero depth behind Kelce and our WR corps is going to be skeletal.

I do think our OL is built well though. Allegretti and Darryl Williams give us options at center should we let Reiter walk. Wylie, Rankins, and LDT body out the guards while Niang, Fisher, and Schwartz body out the tackles.

DT is solid with Jones, Nnadi, and Saunders. S needs depth but is solid. QB/RB is good. Special teams will be set.

What is your early prognostication for filling our ostensible 2021 holes?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:38 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by DrRyan:
Saw the thread title, expected a Direckshun thread. I tend to agree with Crow, Duncan and most others here. The margin for error in the draft definitely becomes smaller after paying Pat and Jones but having elite players at cornerstone positions is hardly not being set up well for 2021 and going forward.

What team or teams would you trade rosters with currently from 2021 and forward?
You have to start with QB. If you don't have the answer at QB,

The only teams that can feel in comparable range are:

Seattle, Green Bay, Houston, Baltimore (not that Watson or Jackson are AS good as Mahomes, but they're in that top 10 range).

So, of that group, who matches up with KC at:

WR1
TE1
RB1
Pass Rusher 1
Pass Rusher 2

No one. There isn't a team you'd trade spots with.
[Reply]
DrRyan 02:53 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
You have to start with QB. If you don't have the answer at QB,

The only teams that can feel in comparable range are:

Seattle, Green Bay, Houston, Baltimore (not that Watson or Jackson are AS good as Mahomes, but they're in that top 10 range).

So, of that group, who matches up with KC at:

WR1
TE1
RB1
Pass Rusher 1
Pass Rusher 2

No one. There isn't a team you'd trade spots with.
That's exactly my point. There isn't a team in the league I would trade spots with. I know 'shun loves his sky is falling threads, but they just are not based in much logic IMO.
[Reply]
BossChief 01:55 AM 05-16-2020
Core players under contract for 2021.

Mahomes
CEH
Hill
Kelce
Fisher
Schwartz
Hardman
Clark
Nnadi
Landlord
Ward
Thornhill

Possible impact players

Fenton
Sneed
Bopete
Niang
Gay
Wilson
Hitchens
Speaks
Okafor
Saunders

We’ve got plenty of talent to continue to dominate
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:47 AM 05-23-2020
So what you're saying is...

It's super important that we draft well.

Hmmn.
[Reply]
Drioss 03:29 PM 05-26-2020
Thank you for sharing!
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 05:26 PM 05-26-2020
You are absolutely terrible at evaluating the NFL, you realize that right?
[Reply]
Halfcan 08:32 PM 05-26-2020
The Chiefs will probably only win the Superbowl in 2021 by one TD!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up