ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 90 of 791
« First < 40808687888990 91929394100140190590 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
In58men 12:37 PM 03-01-2019
I don’t get the hate on Ford lol.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:38 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by In58men:
I don’t get the hate on Ford lol.
I don't hate Ford. I hate the thought of giving him a bunch of guaranteed money when the only thing he's really done consistently in his career is get hurt.

I'm not a fan of tagging him and keeping him. If they want to keep him, sign him. If they don't, tag him and trade him.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 12:40 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
So you structure the contract to protect the team against exactly that.

Tagging him hamstrings 2019. With his injury history, you're just asking for 2019 to be another "there's always next year" year.

Sign him long term, get some free agents, win the Super Bowl, and let the rest work itself out.
Why does his agent take the deal though? These guys all want big guarantees over everything. I guess the Chiefs can threaten them with the tag, but unless Ford is telling his agent that he absolutely wants to stay in KC long term, I don’t see why they’d do a deal with lighter guarantees.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:40 PM 03-01-2019
So it was basically taking Melvin Ingram's contract and adding a bit for inflation.

Ingram has a 4 year $65 million dollar deal.

Cap hits:

2017: $14.875
2018: $13.875
2019: $19.625
2020: $16.625

They can realistically get out of 2019 by cutting him. It creates $5 million in dead cap but gives them $14 million in cap room. Cutting him in 2020 gives them $14 million in cap space and only creates $2.5 million in dead cap.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 12:51 PM 03-01-2019
I hate ford, if I was the GM id just let him walk and use that 15 million on other players.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:52 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Why does his agent take the deal though? These guys all want big guarantees over everything. I guess the Chiefs can threaten them with the tag, but unless Ford is telling his agent that he absolutely wants to stay in KC long term, I don’t see why they’d do a deal with lighter guarantees.
If he doesn't take it, try to trade him.

I just absolutely hate the thought of tagging him and letting him play. It very rarely works out for the team.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:00 PM 03-01-2019
Ford long term.... ugh. Idk, I just don’t trust him to stay healthy and retain his elite speed/quickness for that long.

Just tag this year, let him go. Find a long term replacement in one of the next two drafts.
Sammy Watkins type deal would not be bad IMO
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:00 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Sammy Watkins type deal would not be bad IMO
You mean severely overpay him? I'd be a bit iffy on that.
[Reply]
O.city 01:03 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Adam Humphrey and Golden Tate are asking for 14 mil per this free agent period

People need to re eval their calculus on what guys are getting with the cap exploding
[Reply]
Buckweath 01:05 PM 03-01-2019
Agree to disagree. I personally believe tagging Ford (and not trading him) is the right move.

It gives you a year to see how Speaks and Kpassagnon are progressing and then you see but most likely, you don't resign him and take the possible 3rd round compensatory pick.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:06 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Adam Humphrey and Golden Tate are asking for 14 mil per this free agent period

People need to re eval their calculus on what guys are getting with the cap exploding
16 million AAV for your 3rd receiving option is too damn high.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:08 PM 03-01-2019
I can't even imagine what we'll give Collins if he actually does hit the open market.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 01:12 PM 03-01-2019
Ford long term.... ugh. Idk, I just don’t trust him to stay healthy and retain his elite speed/quickness for that long.

Just tag this year, let him go. Find a long term replacement in one of the next two drafts.
Agreed.

So you structure the contract to protect the team against exactly that.

Tagging him hamstrings 2019. With his injury history, you're just asking for 2019 to be another "there's always next year" year.

Sign him long term, get some free agents, win the Super Bowl, and let the rest work itself out.
If he doesn't take it, try to trade him.

I just absolutely hate the thought of tagging him and letting him play. It very rarely works out for the team.
First, I don't understand why you are so against the tag. Yes, giving him a contract could ease the cap burden SLIGHTLY for 2019, but your contract scenario relies on too many "what if's", regardless of what Ford may have said about his desire to play here. No self-respecting agent worth his salt is going to allow a contract that short-changes his client while covering every possible medical scenario under the sun as a clause to make null and void payment, length of employment, and benefits. If Veach were able to pull THAT off, he becomes GM of the Decade overnight.

Betting against Houston was stupid. Betting against Dee Ford? I like those odds. A LOT. And even if he does have another good year, that just drives his value up and sets up a great trade scenario. Which is what we need to do anyway because you KNOW this kid has a maximum of MAYBE three productive years.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:15 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
First year would be low, second would be medium/high and third year would be really high.

You get $16 million from Houston in 2020 and Berry cap relief will be much better for us in 2020/2021. That’s a lot of cap relief.

Plus I bet Tyreek, Jones and Pat will all have backloaded deals with a fuck load of guaranteed $$ up front to help with cap health.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:50 PM 03-01-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
First, I don't understand why you are so against the tag. Yes, giving him a contract could ease the cap burden SLIGHTLY for 2019, but your contract scenario relies on too many "what if's", regardless of what Ford may have said about his desire to play here. No self-respecting agent worth his salt is going to allow a contract that short-changes his client while covering every possible medical scenario under the sun as a clause to make null and void payment, length of employment, and benefits. If Veach were able to pull THAT off, he becomes GM of the Decade overnight.

Betting against Houston was stupid. Betting against Dee Ford? I like those odds. A LOT. And even if he does have another good year, that just drives his value up and sets up a great trade scenario. Which is what we need to do anyway because you KNOW this kid has a maximum of MAYBE three productive years.
The Chiefs have virtually no cap space once they tag Ford. That money is guaranteed. If he goes down with an injury again (and there's a decent chance he will, given his history), the lack of a supporting cast due to giving all that money to Dee Ford will essentially make 2019 yet another wasted year.

I would MUCH rather trade Dee Ford. I would even be willing to let him walk. But keeping him, at nearly $16M guaranteed. No freaking way.
[Reply]
Page 90 of 791
« First < 40808687888990 91929394100140190590 > Last »
Up