ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1049 of 3903
« First < 49549949999103910451046104710481049 105010511052105310591099114915492049 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Monticore 04:08 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Itself.

I remember thinking that back when it was in posted.

If it's not effective then why would medical personnel need it?
Medical workers are still getting sick with masks but they don’t have the opportunity for social distancing like the general public can, it is their only form of protection .
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:09 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Going to be kind of hard to go back to work when the business you work for is shut down.
Well I guess there's that...
[Reply]
Donger 04:09 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
A necessary fib?
Yes. It's brutal, but would you rather have our healthcare workers without masks, or the general population?
[Reply]
O.city 04:09 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
3 weeks max for what? From when?
I'll give it end of April. People aren't gonna sit around and starve.
[Reply]
O.city 04:10 PM 04-02-2020
Hamas if you're lurking, why wouldn't clinical grade soluble human ACE2 work on this virus?
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:11 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'll give it end of April. People aren't gonna sit around and starve.
What are they going to do in 3 weeks?
[Reply]
loochy 04:12 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Medical workers are still getting sick with masks but they don’t have the opportunity for social distancing like the general public can, it is their only form of protection .
I know.

It was a very poorly executed lie though.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:12 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Yes. It's brutal, but would you rather have our healthcare workers without masks, or the general population?
Yup.

Because there's some belief that had we just told everyone to wear masks suddenly said masks would materialize.

But the bottom line is that had that happened, we'd ultimately still have shortages in the general population and the spread would be nominally smaller. Meanwhile you're now making medical supply issues exponentially worse, dropout rates from sick healthcare providers skyrocket even faster, your 'capacity line' drops precipitously and truly all hell breaks loose.

It was the right thing to do. Now the right thing to do is carve through all this !@#$ing bureaucratic garbage and get those supplies out to those healthcare providers in high risk, high need areas.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:12 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
What are they going to do in 3 weeks?
This.

What are they going to do? If jobs aren't there the jobs aren't there. Employers aren't going to hire them without enough revenue coming in.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:13 PM 04-02-2020
In a herd of hogs a virus comes through , does it's damage and the rest of the herd builds immunity.

Same thing here. Unless the creators of this virus manipulated it to make it chronically mutate.

IMO it's not a natural mutation. It's man made and was released. The government told us over a year ago to have a 6 month supply of food on hand.

Now we know why.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:13 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Then nature does what nature do.

But ultimately there's a lot of truth to the fact that we'll have already found a treatment or powered through this by the time a vaccine comes online.

O.City is right - the working population will eventually say "to hell with this" and they'll go back to work. They'll maintain social distancing, social functions will largely evaporate, sports won't come back and family gatherings will be skipped. They'll do what they can to ensure that the burdens rest on them alone to power ahead with this disease as a shadow.

But they WILL power ahead. It's not killing them in waves. It's not killing their kids. They'll put up with this for a period of time and ultimately it may even be far longer than O.City or myself expect (I actually give people a little more 'credit' in that I think this can stretch through May before general backlash; that'd be about 10-11 weeks), but it damn sure won't make it through to a vaccine.

Because deep down in the darkest recesses of their minds, the vast vast VAST majority isn't worried about contracting it. They aren't even worried about you contracting it or most anyone else getting it for that matter. They're worried about maybe 5-10 people they know really well and care about a lot contracting it. And they're worried they'll be the ones that give it to them.

And that kind of fear, especially of the guilt associated with it, is a powerful motivator. But it's not the same as you dying or your kids dying. And it will eventually buckle under.

People are free to argue this point as loudly as they want or especially engage in some kind of normative response about what people SHOULD be willing to do. But in the end it just doesn't matter. I can't see any way that guilt and paranoia will simply yield an unlimited supply of patience.
I agree mostly. I disagree on the timeline I could see beigning of June being the limit for most.

I dont know if I'm "afraid " of getting this but obviously I'd rather wouldnt. I dont want to find out how good my immune system really is or have to get medical treatment which right now would cost me a fortune since switching careers I dont have insurance for another 1.5 months.

Realistically though how long can this country go without sports? Seems like a silly question but if we get into football season and it gets cancelled people are going to lose their shit.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:14 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Dont we risk doing that now anyway?
[Reply]
Donger 04:16 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Dont we risk doing that now anyway?
Well, I haven't looked, but I presume that it's still rather hard for a non-HCW to get N95 masks and that the supply to HCW is improving, or will be improving soon.
[Reply]
stumppy 04:17 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
In a herd of hogs a virus comes through , does it's damage and the rest of the herd builds immunity.

Same thing here. Unless the creators of this virus manipulated it to make it chronically mutate.

IMO it's not a natural mutation. It's man made and was released. The government told us over a year ago to have a 6 month supply of food on hand.

Now we know why.
:-)
[Reply]
O.city 04:17 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
This.

What are they going to do? If jobs aren't there the jobs aren't there. Employers aren't going to hire them without enough revenue coming in.
They'll do what they have to do. If people are willing to work, employers will eb bringing in revenue.
[Reply]
Page 1049 of 3903
« First < 49549949999103910451046104710481049 105010511052105310591099114915492049 > Last »
Up