ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 223
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
srvy 01:50 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
Any idea why the thermometer beeps with no issues on your set points? it doesn't do it often.
Mine beeps when it loses wireless connection then beeps when restored.
[Reply]
notorious 01:50 PM 07-08-2017
Okay grill masters, please list out your favorite seasonings and how much you apply.

Hamburgers

Steaks

Pork

Brisket

Etc.

I would also like to know about what temps you guys set your grills to. I am decent, but want to get better at grilling.

Thanks guys.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:09 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by notorious:
Okay grill masters, please list out your favorite seasonings and how much you apply.

Hamburgers

Steaks

Pork

Brisket

Etc.

I would also like to know about what temps you guys set your grills to. I am decent, but want to get better at grilling.

Thanks guys.
First get yourself a thermapen. Cook things to the right temperature. Everything else is ancillary. Thermapens read in under 3 seconds and are accurate to less than a degree. Remember it will cook a little after you get it off the fire, but the real big key is knowing internal temp.

Hamburger
McCormic has a Montreal steak seasoning that has treated me well. Season salt and that stuff and you can't go wrong. /Runs before FMB! Crucifies me.

If you make your own patties try some other stuff. I've had decent luck mixing in some Oklahoma Joes BBQ sauce (sams carries it last I looked) and some kosher salt and pepper. It's nice for a change.

I cook burgers pretty hot. You have to pay pretty close attention but I have better luck keeping them juicy if I cook over higher heat. I can churn out decent burgers at low temps too though and it is safer.

Steaks
Pretty much just go with season salt and the McCormick stuff. temps are usually not too high.

I don't grill much pork.

I wouldn't grill a brisket unless you can do offset heat.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:11 PM 07-08-2017
http://www.thermoworks.com

You are welcome.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:24 PM 07-08-2017

Hamburgers -- Salt and pepper. Anything more than that is communist and just tiny meatloaves

Steaks -- Salt and pepper. Anything more than that is communist and the symptom of a lousy chef. If I'm bored, I'll occasionally use Weber's coffee seasoning for a change of pace; very good.

Pork -- I love a product called Willingham's Wham. You can order it but I think you have to call. The same little old (not terribly friendly) woman has answered the phone for years. Let it breath a little bit or there's some pungent, almost citrus odor that I don't care for. Great stuff. Otherwise it's my rib rub that I described awhile back; can't give you a recipe, just mix it till it tastes good.

I also use it on chicken.

Brisket -- Santa Maria style; pretty basic stuff.

Etc.

Burgers: Medium high. Hold your hand over the coals right at the grate for maybe 2-3 seconds. If you can hold it longer than that without it hurting, you're too cool (and my hand is tough as shit; I rarely use tongs to turn and if my hand has any hair on it, I simply haven't grilled that week).

Chicken and Pork: Indirect heat; half the grill with coals, meat over the 'empty' side until about 10 degrees below final temp. Then I spread the coals flat and give everything a hot, hard finish to get a nice char on there. While on indirect I'd stick with medium high heat as well but it's really just a visual thing; watch what the meat on the cool side is doing, adjust as needed. For things like pork steak you want to go very slow to keep it from getting tough. For things like thick pork chops, you may want to do the same. Thinner chops can be a little hotter, IMO. Hard to give you great directions on indirect heat as it depends on your meat.

Steak: As hot as the grill will get.

Smoking: 225 - 250; you'll be fine anywhere in that range. With skin-on poultry I actually smoke around 325-350 for a nice crisp skin.

Edit: Cavender's Greek Seasoning is pretty decent as an all-purposes seasoning for vegetables and if you insist, you can add some to beef as well. I don't use it on white meat because I prefer other things but it's probably good on white meat as well.
[Reply]
In58men 02:26 PM 07-08-2017
Can't get an easier than this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
cabletech94 02:32 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
Can't get an easier than this

that table is hideous.

j/k
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:40 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by cabletech94:
that beer is hideous.

j/k

FYP
[Reply]
In58men 02:44 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
FYP
It's my marathon beer, for short sprints I prefer IPAs.

Founds All Day IPA and Dogfish Head
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:46 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
First get yourself a thermapen. Cook things to the right temperature. Everything else is ancillary. Thermapens read in under 3 seconds and are accurate to less than a degree. Remember it will cook a little after you get it off the fire, but the real big key is knowing internal temp.

Hamburger
McCormic has a Montreal steak seasoning that has treated me well. Season salt and that stuff and you can't go wrong. /Runs before FMB! Crucifies me.

If you make your own patties try some other stuff. I've had decent luck mixing in some Oklahoma Joes BBQ sauce (sams carries it last I looked) and some kosher salt and pepper. It's nice for a change.

I cook burgers pretty hot. You have to pay pretty close attention but I have better luck keeping them juicy if I cook over higher heat. I can churn out decent burgers at low temps too though and it is safer.

Steaks
Pretty much just go with season salt and the McCormick stuff. temps are usually not too high.

I don't grill much pork.

I wouldn't grill a brisket unless you can do offset heat.

Nah, eat what you like, dude. :-)

Agree 100% on the Thermapen.

Burgers: S&P only, sometimes a homemade seasoned salt. Grill over high heat for 2-3 minutes for medium rare-medium. I like a hard sear on burgers.

Steak: S&P only, maybe also some granulated garlic. I prefer a compound butter. I often sous vide and finish over high heat for 60-90 seconds. If I'm grilling the entire piece, I usually reverse sear.

Brisket: I used to do complex rubs, it since I did a Dalmatian rub a few months ago, don't think I'll go back. Smoked in the PBC for 6-7 hours. Separate point and flat, warp flat and leave in a cooler wrapped in towels. Chop point and back out to the smoker for 1-2 hours.

Pork: Usually sous vide, and usually S&P only. But I'm more apt to braise pork in something.
[Reply]
Stewie 02:53 PM 07-08-2017

Hamburgers - a million ways to do burgers, but mix seasoning into the raw meat. I always cook over high heat with no lid and seasoning can burn if on the surface.

Steaks- depends on the cut. Fatty cuts (ribeye, etc.) don't need more that salt and pepper. Leaner cuts need more help, maybe even a marinade.

Pork - Which cut? Ribs, loin, butt, picnic, etc.?

Brisket - Salt and pepper. The trick to doing brisket is knowing how to trim before it goes on the smoker. It's also really important to know how to separate the point from the flat when it's done... and to carve slices in the correct direction.

Etc.

Thanks guys.
Answers in the quote.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:59 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Answers in the quote.
I don't recommend salting hamburgers in advance. It creates some weird texture issues by how it draws moisture. And as you know, there's no amount of heat from a grill that can damage salt; it's virtually indestructible. Other seasonings - sure, mix 'em in (if you insist on making meat loaf patties) but there's no real upshot to mixing in salt, IMO, and some negative repercussions.

So if you're salting your burgers, just sprinkle a little on them right before you grill (kosher or sea salt; iodized is too harsh).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:01 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Nah, eat what you like, dude. :-)

Agree 100% on the Thermapen.

Burgers: S&P only, sometimes a homemade seasoned salt. Grill over high heat for 2-3 minutes for medium rare-medium. I like a hard sear on burgers.

Steak: S&P only, maybe also some granulated garlic. I prefer a compound butter. I often sous vide and finish over high heat for 60-90 seconds. If I'm grilling the entire piece, I usually reverse sear.

Brisket: I used to do complex rubs, it since I did a Dalmatian rub a few months ago, don't think I'll go back. Smoked in the PBC for 6-7 hours. Separate point and flat, warp flat and leave in a cooler wrapped in towels. Chop point and back out to the smoker for 1-2 hours.

Pork: Usually sous vide, and usually S&P only. But I'm more apt to braise pork in something.
I at least presume you mean 'per side'. 2-3 minutes on a hot grill will give you raw hamburgers. I take mine off at 140 and that's generally in the 8-10 minute total range (and I don't adhere to the 'flip once' school; I do about 2 minutes and flip; 3-4 flips total).
[Reply]
Stewie 03:01 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I don't recommend salting hamburgers in advance. It creates some weird texture issues by how it draws moisture. And as you know, there's no amount of heat from a grill that can damage salt; it's virtually indestructible. Other seasonings - sure, mix 'em in (if you insist on making meat loaf patties) but there's no real upshot to mixing in salt, IMO, and some negative repercussions.

So if you're salting your burgers, just sprinkle a little on them right before you grill (kosher or sea salt; iodized is too harsh).
I guess I should have been clear. I season right before going on the grill. Anything else is bad form.
[Reply]
In58men 03:02 PM 07-08-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
http://www.thermoworks.com

You are welcome.

Shits not that serious :-)

This cheap ass AcuRite thermometer was only 2 degrees off from the Maverick, I've had it for years.

[Reply]
Page 41 of 223
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Up