ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Squirrels eating wiring
crayzkirk 04:12 PM 12-30-2019
How do I get rid of the squirrels that are eating the wiring and hoses in my car?

Got in my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee to go to the lake the last weekend and it was hard to start. Got is started and immediately smelled strong gasoline. Shut it down to find the hose between the fuel rails was chewed up. While inspecting the rest of the engine compartment, I found one of the air vent hoses was chewed up and the wiring to the front drivers side turn signals was eaten through. Also, the ABS warning light came on which indicates that those wires were probably lunch for some squirrels.

I have a pump BB rifle however I don't want to be shooting it around my cars. I also don't want to put out any sort of poison that might harm other animals.

Traps or put a cup of antifreeze under the hood for them to drink while dining?
[Reply]
crayzkirk 02:31 PM 02-21-2020
I bought some rodent defense spray. Didn't deter them at all. The shop light with LED bulb seems to be keeping them out. Not sure if the ultrasonic+flashing LED device is doing anything or not. Evidently one of the wires that was chewed in the latest attack has something to do with the immobilizer system; alarm will not arm and the engine shuts off immediately after starting... Dang it.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:41 PM 02-21-2020
Buy a couple cats.

Shoot the squirrels around your property.

Poison.

Shooting them is the best way though. The most fun and then you have lunch for a week maybe.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 02:55 PM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Buy a couple cats.

Shoot the squirrels around your property.

Poison.

Shooting them is the best way though. The most fun and then you have lunch for a week maybe.
Not sure I want to eat an urban squirrel. I've tried wild squirrel. Once. I can still remember the taste. My sister has tried all sorts of things; even chili doesn't mask the 'flavahhh'...
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:58 PM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Not sure I want to eat an urban squirrel. I've tried wild squirrel. Once. I can still remember the taste. My sister has tried all sorts of things; even chili doesn't mask the 'flavahhh'...
Feed them to your cats
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:04 PM 02-21-2020
Another Shanahan thread? Good grief.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 03:21 PM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Another Shanahan thread? Good grief.
LOL
[Reply]
tatorhog 03:37 PM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
Live trap with bread or corn as bait. Relocate.

.410 more permanent solution.
My old Winchester 9422 has been a very trusty wire protection device.
[Reply]
rtmike 07:43 PM 02-21-2020
I don’t know about poison if you’re amongst a bunch of other families.

I’d prolly hear about it all the way up here in the NW.

Missouri man convicted and sentenced to a week in jail no parole for poisoning of neighbor cats. A group of the neighborhood girls are still traumatized and each parent is contemplating suing the man.
Continued tonight @ 10 as our feature story here on your #1 Pacific Northwest Newschannel 8.

Other commentator: Those poor children and cats. The man claims he was simply tryin to send a message to the fluffy tailed rat bastar....
“Cut”
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 08:05 PM 02-21-2020
Dryer sheets work for me.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:17 PM 02-21-2020
BB Gun that fool if you live in town.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 08:30 PM 03-10-2020
I've done everything; finally fixed the wiring, added an ultrasonic device, sprayed with a mixture from Amazon. Drove it to work every other day for a week. I left it at the end of the driveway and after two days, the squirrel is back. In fact, on Sunday I watched a squirrel walk under my Jeep and start to climb into it; it saw me and ran away.

This
Means
War

The trap is set, it's a live trap however any squirrels that get caught are going to meet their demise in the 'street'.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:48 PM 03-10-2020
I've done everything; finally fixed the wiring, added an ultrasonic device, sprayed with a mixture from Amazon. Drove it to work every other day for a week. I left it at the end of the driveway and after two days, the squirrel is back. In fact, on Sunday I watched a squirrel walk under my Jeep and start to climb into it; it saw me and ran away.

This
Means
War

The trap is set, it's a live trap however any squirrels that get caught are going to meet their demise in the 'street'.
:-) I've had the same problem with rabbits and my work clown car cobalt. 3 times they've chewed through the O2 sensor wire to find a warm spot in the winter. I tried a live trap with no success and it ended up resorting to violence and a .410. That was two years ago and I cleaned out that generation. I see an occasional rabbit under the bird feeder but so far there are no repeat offenders so I let it slide. Good luck.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 04:12 PM 03-13-2020
Any update?

This
Means
War

[Reply]
scho63 09:59 PM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I used to chase squirrel but now I'm married.
You used to do a lot of FUN things before you were married......:-)
[Reply]
crayzkirk 02:28 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers:
Any update?
Bought a couple of traps; The Squirrelinator and a Havahart 1030. So far, I have caught two with the Havahart and zero with the Squirrelinator. I thought the light was working however they seemed to have adjusted to it.

When I was pissed off, I was going to kill them however I just can't bring myself to do that. I relocated them to my favorite suburb, Grandview.

I have two containers with moth balls under the hood. I'm keeping the traps set and looking at ways of putting metal screens to shut off the access.

The real solution is to remove the 55 year old giant tree that is less than 20' from my house. Always dropping limbs on the driveway and house. Maybe clean out the garage?
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up