ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1695 of 3903
« First < 695119515951645168516911692169316941695 169616971698169917051745179521952695 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 05:58 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Those 2 Cali docs in scrubs in the video above are now facing some harsh criticism.

California doctors with dubious COVID conclusions debunked
Health experts were quick to say the doctors’ findings were misguided and riddled with statistical errors.

[...]

In a rare statement late today, the American College of Emergency Physicians and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine declared they “emphatically condemn the recent opinions released by Dr. Daniel Erickson and Dr. Artin Messihi. These reckless and untested musings do not speak for medical societies and are inconsistent with current science and epidemiology regarding COVID-19. As owners of local urgent care clinics, it appears these two individuals are releasing biased, non-peer reviewed data to advance their personal financial interests without regard for the public’s health.”
* Looks over at Bowser, and squints disapprovingly again *
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 06:01 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
We're gonna end up getting lucky that this ****er isnt' worse than it is, but it's a ****ing shining light that people need to get healthier. Stop eating shit, exercise regularly etc.

This one isn't a world ender, but the next one could be.
This what I have been saying... the vast majority of people flooding the hospitals with COVID-19 complications are people who are obese, diabetic, and/or have hypertension.

Those are all primarily lifestyle driven conditions.

Those are the drains on hospital capacity.
[Reply]
jaa1025 06:02 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Take your conspiracy/political BS to DC, please.
My post was not political. My post was not conspiracy but factually and scientifically correct. My beliefs on this "pandemic" are inline with my family consisting of a doctor at one of the metro hospitals and 3 ER nurses in a few other metro hospitals.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 06:02 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's like you can't tell the difference in a forecasting model and a clinical trial.

What you are saying isn't far off from saying that you're going to go for a walk outside during a softball-sized hailstorm because the weatherman had predicted there was a chance of a tornado that didn't materialize.
It's really surprising you keep returning to this analogy.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:03 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
This what I have been saying... the vast majority of people flooding the hospitals with COVID-19 complications are people who are obese, diabetic, and/or have hypertension.

Those are all primarily lifestyle driven conditions.

Those are the drains on hospital capacity.
Yeah, we should just let all the old people die because their kidneys, livers, hearts, bones and muscles begin to fail when they reach their 70's and 80's.

How dare we even allow those assholes to live!
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 06:06 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yeah, we should just let all the old people die because their kidneys, livers, hearts, bones and muscles begin to fail when they reach their 70's and 80's.

How dare we even allow those assholes to live!
Age is a secondary factor... obesity, diabetes and hypertension are the primary characteristics of people who are destroying hospital capacity.

The healthy 75 year olds who take care of themselves are not the problem.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:07 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
It's really surprising you keep returning to this analogy.
Do you have a better one you'd prefer? I use it because it's one of the few kinds of models that most laypeople interact with on a regular basis. If you'd like, I could instead expound on the virtues of economic impact modeling, price sensitivity modeling, conjoint studies, max-diff analysis, market mix modeling, and the like.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:09 PM 04-28-2020
That was kind of what I was wondering, they kind of skipped a step. It's a pre print so we can't really see..what they did at all.

I would assume some of these larger profile sero profiles they're doing full ELISA on but I haven't read that anywhere.
They claim that their test has a specificity of 99.5%. I haven't seen any external validation of that particular brand, and the lateral flow tests are highly dependent upon training the observer (which can result in interoperator disagreement that they address).

Overall, their methodology is good, but even they admit:

"The specificity was acceptable at 99.5% (98.7-99.9) but leads to a
low positive predictive value in low-prevalence areas."

The specificity is claimed to be 99.5%. So, if they test 1000 people, five of those will be false positives, but if 1.7% of the population actually has the disease, then over 1/4 of the positive tests are false positives. ((17/(17+5)) and they admit uncertainty over reactivity with other coronavirus antibodies.

They also admit to the lack of a gold standard test to weigh their test against.

This is actually a really well-designed study given their limitations that they rightfully acknowledge, but the low prevalence does throw quite a bit of potential skew into the numbers.
[Reply]
TLO 06:10 PM 04-28-2020
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....24.20075291v1

So, am I reading this right? This would put IFR, around .1?
I can't get this to load for some reason. What exactly does it say?
[Reply]
Monticore 06:12 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Age is a secondary factor... obesity, diabetes and hypertension are the primary characteristics of people who are destroying hospital capacity.

The healthy 75 year olds who take care of themselves are not the problem.
Obesity is considers a chronic disease by the CDC. If you go with BMI a lot of people are obese
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:16 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by jaa1025:
Were you spotting flaws in the doomsday models that your experts were pushing that have been completely wrong and responsible for the great overreaction by our governments?
The IHME model's flaw, which they acknowledged and I pointed out on here a week ago, was that they based resource utilization upon the initial data from China, which led them to overestimate ventilator use and hospitalizations.

That was further mitigated by changing clinical practice, wherein they ended up hospitalizing far fewer people than they normally would otherwise.

With that said those most likely to criticize these models are also those most likely to know the least about them. People assume that if a model predicts 64,000 deaths that 72,000 means that it was way off, and that simply demonstrates a lack of understanding of how confidence intervals and forecasting work. The creation of a predictive model is incredibly difficult, and given the information they had, they actually did a pretty good job.

Let us also not forget that almost 60,000 people are already dead in spite of mitigation efforts taken, those numbers will continue to increase, and that it is altogether likely that the tail of this curve will be far longer than the ascent was, which means that you're probably going to end up with around 80-100,000 dead by the end of next month, even without a spike, which could still come if other locations don't implement distancing measures wisely.
[Reply]
tk13 06:19 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Obesity is considers a chronic disease by the CDC. If you go with BMI a lot of people are obese
That's the biggest flaw with the "just make people with health issues quarantine themselves" while the rest of the world goes back to normal. There's going to be a lot of people on the list that need to stay home.
[Reply]
Fish 06:23 PM 04-28-2020
78% of US citizens over the age of 55 have at least one pre-existing condition.

[Reply]
stevieray 06:25 PM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
78% of US citizens over the age of 55 have at least one pre-existing condition.

Dang, I feel pretty blessed right about now.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:26 PM 04-28-2020
I have 2 retirement areas that I can see from my house.
They have somewhere around 50 deaths between the two places.
[Reply]
Page 1695 of 3903
« First < 695119515951645168516911692169316941695 169616971698169917051745179521952695 > Last »
Up