ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 163
« First < 3910111213 141516172363113 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
bogie 03:16 PM 12-02-2004
I killed 3 doe during MO gun season. No pics. though. I'm the first to have a triple in one day off our farm. Two doe came within 50 yds. I dropped one and the second ran straight at my stand so I dropped her. After cleaning them I was walking back to the house and scared up the 3rd. I couldn't believe it, she ran about 50 yards and stopped perfectly broad side so I took her as well. As I live in CA now, I gave one to my parents and donated the other two to Share the Harvest. My Father was very happy that I killed 3 doe off the farm. Since I moved to CA, I haven't had a chance to bow hunt. I can only come back for one season, so I choose rifle. I do miss bow hunting.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 03:21 PM 12-02-2004
my nieghbors killed 6 does and a ten point buck off my place. Noone ever seen the bigboy again.
But the ten pointer had two tines broken in the middle and when i was talking to the guy that killed him he told me that the buck was on a dead run through the draw and he just had a second to shot.

I got to thinking if maybe he had passed the bigboy i seen may have come after him.Cause you dont just break a tine off in a pushing match.
Oh well.
To get him your gonna have to get lucky on opening day cause hes old enough that after the first day hes going for cover.

I passed on acouple does.
But did crank a shot off at a dog that was noseing around my chickens.
just ran her off.
[Reply]
bogie 03:23 PM 12-02-2004
Anyone ever ship venison? If so, how do you do it? Every year I tell myself I'm going to ship the venison to me after it's processed and I never do it.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 03:25 PM 12-02-2004
Originally Posted by bogie:
Anyone ever ship venison? If so, how do you do it? Every year I tell myself I'm going to ship the venison to me after it's processed and I never do it.
Jerky,sausage would be the route id take if you have to ship it USPS or UPS ect.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 03:34 PM 12-02-2004
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
The day I got my bow tag filled.....I'd sat in the rain for quite a while and was getting cold..........to the left of me, 50 yards, I saw the BigBoy we've all been after.....he crossed the creek and had 2 ways to go...right to me or away..Of course he went the other way..........Probably heard my heart thumping in my throat.............. Hit the Grunt a few times to coax him back, and this one came in.

I'd prefer a shot at him with a bow, but I won't be sad if he'll stand broadside at 20 yards in front of my Winchester either.
I'm a rifle hunter in Nebraska, and I had the biggest one of my life walk in front of me, not 20 feet...my Marlin 30.30 was a-waitin'...

...he was a 10 pointer, with a really nice symetrical bowl rack, only one point slightly damaged. I don't know how to insert a pic, I don't have a site that will host it. Somebody help?

He was a freakin' beaut. No way I'll get one like that for a looooong time...
[Reply]
bogie 03:42 PM 12-02-2004
Originally Posted by MOhillbilly:
Jerky,sausage would be the route id take if you have to ship it USPS or UPS ect.
Yes I've shipped summer sausage, I've also carried it on with me on a plane. I just wish there was a way to ship some ground and steaks.
[Reply]
bogie 03:44 PM 12-02-2004
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
I'm a rifle hunter in Nebraska, and I had the biggest one of my life walk in front of me, not 20 feet...my Marlin 30.30 was a-waitin'...

...he was a 10 pointer, with a really nice symetrical bowl rack, only one point slightly damaged. I don't know how to insert a pic, I don't have a site that will host it. Somebody help?

He was a freakin' beaut. No way I'll get one like that for a looooong time...
Man I've hunted for 32 years on our farm and never seen a monster. Except the dead ones that someone else got. I've gotten plenty of nice bucks over the years, but not only have I never killed a monster, I've never even seen one. Must be holding my mouth wrong.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 03:48 PM 12-02-2004
Here's a pic of my .257 Ackley improved that I finished building just in time for deer season.

Bagged a small buck yesterday. My desire for some jerky won out over my desire for a wall hanger. Season is over this weekend and we hadn't been seeing any deer with horns moving since last weekend. The deer came by (well, within 350 yards) and I decided to drop him. He was only a 4 pointer - smallest buck I've ever shot that wasn't a fawn. He will be good eating though.

The other 2 hunters I was with last week and I are all pretty much in agreement that another buck last week was brought down by this gun too. We were all three shooting at it, and his son thought he got it so he tagged it (then said he'd gie me the meat if I'd make him some jerky). After butchering though, the only shot angle that hit him was from my direction. I kinda felt bad that he tagged it then, but he said he really needed to get his semi running so it didn't bother him at all.
Attached: 257ackley1.jpg (14.7 KB) 
[Reply]
PastorMikH 03:53 PM 12-02-2004
Man I've hunted for 32 years on our farm and never seen a monster. Except the dead ones that someone else got. I've gotten plenty of nice bucks over the years, but not only have I never killed a monster, I've never even seen one. Must be holding my mouth wrong.

I saw tons of them in SW Kansas when I was bowhunting. Just couldn't get close enough to stick one with an arrow. I did manage to sneak up to within 20 yards of one of the biggest bucks I'd ever seen. He was laying down and all I could see was his rack from the top of the hill. I decided to wait on him, so here I sat right above him with my bow ready to draw waiting for him to get up. It was starting to get dark so I tried giving him a grunt. Instead of standing up and looking around, which I'd hoped, he bolted. He did stop about 100 yards away to look at me though.
[Reply]
bogie 03:56 PM 12-02-2004
That is a beautiful rifle!
[Reply]
bogie 03:58 PM 12-02-2004
I love hunting on the ground.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 05:52 PM 12-02-2004

Thanks!

I started on it 2 years ago but ran out of energy and $. Decided this fall that it was time to finish it. I have really enjoyed carrying it this fall - well, except for worrying about scrathing it.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 12:24 PM 12-03-2004
Well, like I said, chances of seeing one like this again are virtually nill.

Check it out: (sorry the first is pretty dark...)
Attached: Bigbuck.JPG (20.7 KB) TheRack.JPG (23.8 KB) 
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 12:26 PM 12-03-2004
INDEED! Very nice...
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 12:30 PM 12-03-2004
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
Well, like I said, chances of seeing one like this again are virtually nill.

Check it out: (sorry the first is pretty dark...)

You need to look into your state and local deer management laws,acouple years of land conservation can do wonders for the type of deer you kill.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 163
« First < 3910111213 141516172363113 > Last »
Up