ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2263 of 3903
« First < 1263176321632213225322592260226122622263 226422652266226722732313236327633263 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:36 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Kidd Lex:
As a Birmingham resident, this is certainly concerning.
I read a few days ago that Montgomery was diverting to you due to lack of ICU space.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:26 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
If you have a shitty immune system yes you should be concerned but to watch everyone lose it is sad. A friend of mine is such a dumbass he wants to lock his children in the house because he thinks everyone is going to die.

Some people watch way to much news.
How far you have come from the beginning of this thread.......
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:55 PM 05-27-2020
Maybe some Comm electives with an emphasis on self awareness could compliment science degrees. Thanks for all the cures and stuff though.
[Reply]
Fish 10:11 PM 05-27-2020

[Reply]
Bugeater 10:12 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Sure, in a perfect world. But ours is far from that.
[Reply]
Fish 10:18 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Sure, in a perfect world. But ours is far from that.
No, this applies in every world. An imperfect world is not justification for ignoring how the scientific process works.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:25 PM 05-27-2020
The problem with expertise is that it can be too narrow without considering economic, and issues of rights and freedoms. That's where people get to have a pov and no they do not have to take orders like they are some slave. You can advise, but you don't still get to run the world or a country by demanding everyone else follow what you recommend without question. Particularly, when you fall on the fallacy of "the science says" or it is "evidence based science." Those are mere assertions that something is the case.

So yes, people do get to have a pov about experts and their opinions, just as a jury does in a case where each side brings in their own experts. That there reveals the omitted issue, of having experts that don't agree with every expert. But some would have them shuttered and they're just a scientific. Experts can and have been wrong in the past. They are not perfect or infallible. Your viewpoint, fish, is very much that of what is called a "technocrat." Technocracy is rule by experts. That is unacceptable in a free country.
[Reply]
Bugeater 10:25 PM 05-27-2020
No, this applies in every world. An imperfect world is not justification for ignoring how the scientific process works.
Unfortunately it doesn't exist in a vacuum, in this situation it's closely tied to politics which breeds mistrust.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:29 PM 05-27-2020

[Reply]
Bugeater 10:32 PM 05-27-2020
Applaud all you want, but I damn well know the total number of people in this world who have my best interest in mind is 1.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:34 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I read a few days ago that Montgomery was diverting to you due to lack of ICU space.
They have been for the last week, and it’s getting worse by the day although Jefferson County (Birmingham proper) isn’t up a ridiculous amount like some surrounding areas. Alabama doesn’t have the capabilities to handle an explosion of cases. Hoping this is an anomaly and the peak starts to plateau and then drop down again.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:35 PM 05-27-2020
Applaud all you want, but I damn well know the total number of people in this world who have my best interest in mind is 1.
:-)
[Reply]
Fish 10:35 PM 05-27-2020
Unfortunately it doesn't exist in a vacuum, in this situation it's closely tied to politics which breeds mistrust.
It DOES exist in a vacuum. That's essentially the point of the scientific process. It's independent of any single person's opinion. And it's subject to peer review, which means it must prove itself to other people's testing who want nothing more than to prove the claim untrue. That's the entire point. The scientific process is dependent on the entirety of information. If it can be proven untrue, it deserves to be and every effort should be taken to do so.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:42 PM 05-27-2020
Anyone wanna talk about coronavirus in Minn?
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:47 PM 05-27-2020
Fair enough, and meant no disrespect to you. I personally operate under the mindset to seek to learn the vast amount I don’t know and surround myself with people of varying strengths & perspectives. Wisdom is not knowing all the answers, but being sage enough to see problems through different perspectives and with that knowledge make good decisions. Too many people throw the science to the side and say “my freedom means I’m not wearing a mask in Costco” or wherever. Right but the most recent science says you increase the odds of infecting others if you don’t wear the mask, and we can decrease 80% of infections if everyone plays along so wear the mask. Im all for ending the lockdowns to open the economy, but we have to do it responsibly and in a manner that limits risks to others, or we will regress with poor outcomes.
[Reply]
Page 2263 of 3903
« First < 1263176321632213225322592260226122622263 226422652266226722732313236327633263 > Last »
Up