ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 68 of 171
« First < 18586465666768 6970717278118168 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:44 PM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Dang BL, just finished Episode 9 on Season 6 of Bojack. This might be their best season so far. So many feels.
'The View From Halfway Down' got an Emmy nom.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:25 PM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Newest on Perry Mason - so ready for this
Anybody watching this? I just got caught up. My god episode 6 was tremendous. Just really fucking good TV.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 11:56 PM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Anybody watching this? I just got caught up. My god episode 6 was tremendous. Just really ****ing good TV.
great episode
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:30 AM 08-02-2020
Pretty much grew up on Perry Mason. Its my dads favorite show in the world and he still watches it on one of those TV Land type channels. I was a bit leery of it as a result but knew HBO would make it quality and it is. Look forward to it every week.

Every fella needs a Della.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:40 AM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:

Every fella needs a Della.
Indeed sir.
[Reply]
MelGrif 03:46 PM 08-03-2020
My list of must watch tv series includes:
The Big Bang Theory
True Detective
The Umbrella Academy
The Last Dance
Ozark
Also I've recently found The Stranger in the kodi addons library. I've watched only three episodes, but I like it.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 03:44 AM 08-04-2020
I hadn't been sold on Perry Mason until the last few episodes, but they've been terrific. The show is really hitting its stride. Can't wait for the finale next week.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:53 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I hadn't been sold on Perry Mason until the last few episodes, but they've been terrific. The show is really hitting its stride. Can't wait for the finale next week.
So the finale was really goddamned good. I sat down there thinking, "OK, there is an hour left. I honestly have no fucking clue what's going to happen."

The only minor quibble I have is,

Spoiler!

But whatever I get it. And I'm not a up on my 1931 legal precedent. So I won't quibble too much.

The acting in this was just superb. Rhys absolutely destroyed every second of every scene he was in. Juliet Rylance (Della) also crushed it.
Spoiler!

That's just incredible acting. Not production, not music, not cuts or editing, not dialogue or writing, just pure acting emotion. What could have been just a throwaway moment hit like a freight train and also made
Spoiler!

really mean something and add depth.

Whigham (Strickland) really did a great job too. He didn't have a ton of play, but the episode working really relied on him expressing things right and he did a great job. I really loved watching him work in this series.

The ending wasn't what I was expecting but really goddamned worked for me.

Hopefully California opens back up and they roll out Season 2 timely.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:38 PM 08-10-2020
So the finale was really goddamned good. I sat down there thinking, "OK, there is an hour left. I honestly have no fucking clue what's going to happen."
I was really looking forward to the finale but I have to say, I was very disappointed with how the story was concluded.

It's common knowledge that Perry Mason only lost one case in his entire career during the original run and since that episode originally aired in the early 60's, I knew that they were "boxed in" and couldn't show a true loss.

Spoiler!

I'm sure I'll watch Season 2 but it's not something I'm anticipating or excited about.

The best hope from Season 2 is that the overall story arc is better written and less predictable (outside the fact that Perry can't lose a case in this series).
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:08 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I was really looking forward to the finale but I have to say, I was very disappointed with how the story was concluded.

It's common knowledge that Perry Mason only lost one case in his entire career during the original run and since that episode originally aired in the early 60's, I knew that they were "boxed in" and couldn't show a true loss.

Spoiler!

I'm sure I'll watch Season 2 but it's not something I'm anticipating or excited about.

The best hope from Season 2 is that the overall story arc is better written and less predictable (outside the fact that Perry can't lose a case in this series).
I never watched any of the old Perry Mason iterations so maybe The expectations I had aren’t shared by many. I really came in fresh. I was excited because I’m a Rhys fanboy and am a sucker for 30s Hollywood (which it wasn’t).

Regarding Alice,

Spoiler!

Regarding the two mothers

Spoiler!

I’ll fully acknowledge that I’m the least creative dude in the room and other more creative dudes could come up with better endings but it was really good IMO. It would have probably been horrible with meh acting but the performances really sold it for me.

The other thing that really stuck with me was

Spoiler!

I Dunno. Maybe I’m just a simpleton but it hooked me.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:40 PM 08-10-2020
I never watched any of the old Perry Mason iterations so maybe The expectations I had aren’t shared by many. I really came in fresh. I was excited because I’m a Rhys fanboy and am a sucker for 30s Hollywood (which it wasn’t).
I watched Perry Mason all the time as a kid. Everyone I've spoken with that has also seen the original series were either disappointed with the new HBO series or just couldn't get into it because the original was completely different, especially the way he was portrayed by Matthew Rhys.

I was expecting something more along the lines of Bosch meets LA Confidential meets the Golden Age of Hollywood, but it's really difficult for me to reconcile this 8 episode version of Perry Mason vs. the original Perry Mason that I saw on more than 200 episodes of the original series.

Holy crap, I sound like an old fart. Yeesh.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:24 PM 08-10-2020
What’s it like to walk around with half a fucking brain? What fucking fishwrap pays you?!...

. . . .

I’m fine, I just wanted to ask that question.

:-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:54 PM 08-10-2020

It’s been happening to me a lot lately....
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:58 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
What’s it like to walk around with half a fucking brain? What fucking fishwrap pays you?!...

. . . .

I’m fine, I just wanted to ask that question.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:59 PM 08-10-2020
It’s been happening to me a lot lately....
[Reply]
Page 68 of 171
« First < 18586465666768 6970717278118168 > Last »
Up