ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2315 of 3903
« First < 1315181522152265230523112312231323142315 231623172318231923252365241528153315 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:51 AM 06-10-2020
Data released Tuesday by the Texas Department of State Health Services shows 2,056 people were hospitalized with COVID-19, up from 1,935 the day before. The previous high was May 5, when 1,888 people were hospitalized.

Just for context, Texas has 28,000 hospital beds. and we have been open for over a month.
[Reply]
O.city 08:58 AM 06-10-2020
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-he...-idUKKBN23F2K1
[Reply]
dlphg9 08:58 AM 06-10-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Data released Tuesday by the Texas Department of State Health Services shows 2,056 people were hospitalized with COVID-19, up from 1,935 the day before. The previous high was May 5, when 1,888 people were hospitalized.

Just for context, Texas has 28,000 hospital beds. and we have been open for over a month.
Well good thing Covid19 is the only possible reason someone would be hospitalized!
[Reply]
Donger 08:58 AM 06-10-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Just for context, Texas has 28,000 hospital beds
Where did you get that from?
[Reply]
Donger 09:18 AM 06-10-2020
Top officials on President Donald Trump’s coronavirus task force told governors on Monday they were worried about a spike in infections due to the mass protests against racial injustice taking place across the country.

Speaking via conference call, a recording of which The Daily Beast obtained, Deborah Birx, Trump’s coronavirus response coordinator, relayed fears that the yelling by protesters could potentially negate the health benefits of wearing a mask, and that the destruction of testing sites at those protests would set back efforts to contain the virus’ spread. Birx said 70 such sites had been destroyed, which had already resulted in an appreciable drop in testing rates there. She advised governors to “scramble now to make sure there is testing available in urban areas.”

Vice President Mike Pence, who hosted the call, bluntly conceded that protest-related infection spikes were “an issue our team is following and there is a concern.”

Those remarks echoed similar fears raised by coronavirus task force officials, including CDC Director Robert Redfield, during a telephone call with governors last week, a recording of which The Daily Beast also obtained. In that June 3 call, Birx said while she, like Pence, did not see a big surge in coronavirus cases over Memorial Day weekend, she was concerned that large metro areas—ones already struggling to stabilize case numbers—would experience an uptick in cases because of the protests.

“This could result in a fight over the next two weeks,” she said. On the call five days later, Birx added her fears that as the protests had grown more peaceful, more people from higher-risk populations began attending them. For good measure, she told governors to also make sure that law enforcement officials who worked the protests without masks get tested as well, calling it “absolutely critical.”

The governor calls come as the trajectory of coronavirus infections in the United States is going in several directions. While case numbers and hospitalizations have declined nationally, states such as Arizona, North Carolina, California, and Utah have seen upticks that do not appear to be related to the protests. On the June 3 call, Birx relayed that her team had tracked outbreaks in more than eight states over the last week, 38 percent of which were due to community spread, with 55 percent in places such as nursing homes, long-term-care facilities, prisons, and food-processing plants.

During the calls, Birx noted that while all states had dramatically increased testing, three states—California, Arizona, and North Carolina—had seen positive test results rise at the same time; an ominous sign about the virus’ trajectory. “That makes us quite concerned,” Birx said. Pointing specifically to increased cases in Phoenix, Charlotte, and in Salt Lake City, she said it was her belief that “there is active community spread in California, North Carolina, Utah, and Arizona.”

Birx noted, in particular, that her team had seen data that showed community spread in “metro Hispanic neighborhoods,” and she urged governors to ensure that the communities there knew that “there are tests, and tests are free.”
[Reply]
Donger 09:21 AM 06-10-2020
A World Health Organization official recently said asymptomatic spread "appears to be rare," prompting widespread confusion because doctors and scientists have been saying the opposite for months.

But the WHO's comment "was not correct," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top infectious diseases expert in the US.

Evidence shows that 25% to 45% of infected people likely don't have symptoms, Fauci told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Wednesday.

"And we know from epidemiological studies they can transmit to someone who is uninfected even when they're without symptoms," said Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

"So to make a statement to say that's a rare event was not correct."
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:04 AM 06-10-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Where did you get that from?
Why do you constantly ask questions you know where to easily get the answer to?

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...-america/texas
[Reply]
Donger 10:10 AM 06-10-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Why do you constantly ask questions you know where to easily get the answer to?

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...-america/texas
Actually, I had forgotten about that website. Thanks.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:21 AM 06-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
If there's any truth to the idea that heat/sun helps to prevent spread, Arizona is teaching us that the fall and winter are going to be ugly.
As I said when Phoenix started hitting 100° on a daily basis, if Phoenix heat can't kill it, we need to move to a different planet.

It's go time -- https://scitechdaily.com/mirror-imag...ht-years-away/
[Reply]
Otter 10:34 AM 06-10-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
As I said when Phoenix started hitting 100° on a daily basis, if Phoenix heat can't kill it, we need to move to a different planet.

It's go time -- https://scitechdaily.com/mirror-imag...ht-years-away/
We really need to figure out a workaround on this whole mortality thing.

I'd go with transferring conscienceless to robots but after so many years in IT I really don't know if that's more reliable.
[Reply]
Donger 11:12 AM 06-10-2020
https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/new...n-15328752.php

Data regarding increases in hospitalizations for various states.
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:13 PM 06-10-2020
We can possibly prevent a 2nd wave by using masks in public according to this study.

BTW I am still wearing a mask when I go out in public but as each day goes by fewer and fewer people are from what I notice.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN23G37V

Originally Posted by :
Population-wide face mask use could push COVID-19 transmission down to controllable levels for national epidemics, and could prevent further waves of the pandemic disease when combined with lockdowns, according to a British study on Wednesday.

The research, led by scientists at the Britain’s Cambridge and Greenwich Universities, suggests lockdowns alone will not stop the resurgence of the new SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, but that even homemade masks can dramatically reduce transmission rates if enough people wear them in public.

“Our analyses support the immediate and universal adoption of face masks by the public,” said Richard Stutt, who co-led the study at Cambridge.
He said combining widespread mask use with social distancing and some lockdown measures, could be “an acceptable way of managing the pandemic and re-opening economic activity” before the development of an effective vaccine against COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the coronavirus.

The study’s findings were published in the “Proceedings of the Royal Society A” scientific journal.

At the onset of the pandemic, scientific evidence on the effectiveness of face masks in slowing transmission of respiratory diseases was limited, and there was no data on COVID-19 since it was a previously unknown disease.

But, prompted by some new research in recent weeks, the World Health Organization said on Friday it now recommends that everyone wear fabric face masks in public to try to reduce disease spread.

In this study, researchers linked the dynamics of spread between people with population-level models to assess the effect on the disease’s reproduction rate, or R value, of different scenarios of mask adoption combined with periods of lockdown.

The R value measures the average number of people that one infected person will pass the disease on to. An R value above 1 can lead to exponential growth.

The study found that if people wear masks whenever they are in public it is twice as effective at reducing the R value than if masks are only worn after symptoms appear.

In all scenarios the study looked at, routine face mask use by 50% or more of the population reduced COVID-19 spread to an R of less than 1.0, flattening future disease waves and allowing for less stringent lockdowns.

Experts not directly involved in the latest British study were divided over its conclusions.

Brooks Pollock, a Bristol University infectious disease modelling expert, said the likely impact of masks could be much smaller than predicted. Trish Greenhalgh, an Oxford University professor, said the findings were encouraging and suggested masks “are likely to be an effective population measure”.

[Reply]
SAUTO 01:21 PM 06-10-2020
the great clips in springfield proves how well masks work
[Reply]
sedated 01:30 PM 06-10-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
BTW I am still wearing a mask when I go out in public but as each day goes by fewer and fewer people are from what I notice.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that when I've gone to the grocery store the last 2 weeks, about 90% of the people were wearing masks.

Other than that, the only places I've gone have been outside (patio). No one wears a mask in those situations, but groups are always distanced.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:38 PM 06-10-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
the great clips in springfield proves how well masks work
Did they all have masks on? To me in that situation it is worthless. It takes so long to cut your hair that you negate the use of the masks. If you could get your hair cut in a few minutes then maybe. But especially for women who can take an hour or more. By that time the mask is just decoration.
[Reply]
Page 2315 of 3903
« First < 1315181522152265230523112312231323142315 231623172318231923252365241528153315 > Last »
Up