« First < 202627282930 3132333440 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Willie Gay Jr. Thread*****
Dante84 07:30 PM 04-24-2020
More to come!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Megatron96 05:01 PM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
It makes sense now why Hitchens has been playing pretty well last two games. He doesn’t have to do two jobs aka his and Semen Niemanns
I've been wondering just over the last couple games if this is true. Hitchens seems to be less hesitant in the last couple games. Maybe last season and the first couple games this season he was hedging in case he had to help Niemann?
[Reply]
dlphg9 05:29 PM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Nah.

Hitchens routinely plays the run like that. Wilson does more than he doesn't. Niemann is the only guy who truly will not make that play.

Hitchens problem is that he struggles in space and can get caught really flat-footed on misdirections.

But those were pretty straightforward 'see gap, fill gap' plays and Hitchens has never been a problem in that regard.
If Hitchens gets touched by an OL like Gay did in Keysers video then there is no chance he makes that play. Hitchens gets eaten alive by blocks
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 05:34 PM 10-07-2020
I don't think he took bad steps there at all.

Neither the OL or the RB had committed and just as an OL can change an angle to set up a block, a LBer can/will often do the same to set up his attack angle. I think he was reading the OL and waiting for the G to commit. The moment he did, Gay was able to bounce around him.

If he comes straight downhill or even simply holds his spot, the G can drive the action to him and now the RB can play off the guard's shoulder with the G having the angle advantage.

I mean maybe he got lucky - but that's also very much what he could've been taught to do or simply did on instinct.

I don't think there's a way to state it categorically either way.
I considered that and it could be the case. In fact, I initially wrote that I thought he was setting up the lineman. It just didn't seem likely of a rookie with so little playing time, so I assumed it was more likely a couple bad steps. Either way, though, he made the play.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 05:36 PM 10-07-2020
Nah.

Hitchens routinely plays the run like that. Wilson does more than he doesn't. Niemann is the only guy who truly will not make that play.

Hitchens problem is that he struggles in space and can get caught really flat-footed on misdirections.

But those were pretty straightforward 'see gap, fill gap' plays and Hitchens has never been a problem in that regard.
He's also slow AF.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 05:37 PM 10-07-2020
Man, watching this play again, Gay MADE that stuff.

If the G manages that reach block and brings Gay inside, the FB gets through clean w/ a dead line at Sorensen. The HB follows him and if the FB seals off Sorensen, that play may have broken for 6 because the slot receiver had gotten inside position on Mathieu.

Just a really really good play by Gay to completely blow that play up. Not only did he keep the G from creating a lane at all, he even occupied the FB in the process. He forced that run back to the A gap where Hitchens (and I think Wilson) were there to snuff it out.

That's really good run D in a lot of ways but if Gay doesn't do his job really well there, it's a potential big play. Also a really nice call dialed up from Spags to put Gay in that run blitz and completely destroy the G's ability to get the reach made. If that's not a run blitz there, the G may have gotten position on him and been able to ride him inside.
It turned into a double team on Gay, which should be a win for the D.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:04 PM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Hitchens last two games have been two of his best as a Chief.
Yep.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 07:11 PM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
He's also slow AF.
Right. He's too slow to ever be an impact LB like say Derrick Johnson but he can be a solid player as long as he stays disciplined w his assignments. He is a pretty good tackler as well.
[Reply]
KC Hawks 05:54 PM 10-25-2020
He's getting better and better each game. I'm gay for Gay!!
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:57 PM 10-25-2020
The entire LB group is playing well lately. Gay is getting better every game, especially pass defense.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:15 PM 10-25-2020
This guy flashed several times today. He’s starting to play fast.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 06:22 PM 10-25-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
This guy flashed several times today. He’s starting to play fast.
He did. Actually, all of the linebackers looked fast and active despite giving up a lot of yards on the ground.

Gay was impressive in finding and disrupting some of Lock's passing lanes. Made some solid tackles too.
[Reply]
BWillie 06:26 PM 10-25-2020
From what I saw Wilson and Gay were making plays. Saw Hitch do some good things too. Encouraging
[Reply]
Molitoth 06:26 PM 10-25-2020
Gay was laying the wood.

*giggity*
[Reply]
staylor26 06:27 PM 10-25-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
From what I saw Wilson and Gay were making plays. Saw Hitch do some good things too. Encouraging
Hitchens is having his best year as a Chief IMO
[Reply]
Dante84 06:35 PM 10-25-2020
Defense was swagging out
[Reply]
Page 30 of 49
« First < 202627282930 3132333440 > Last »
Up