ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Roxette Singer Marie Fredriksson Dead at 61
Deberg_1990 10:44 AM 12-10-2019
RIP. Roxette Made some quality pop tunes back in the day.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...cancer-924609/

Marie Fredriksson — the Swedish vocalist who scored a string of late-Eighties and early-Nineties hits with Roxette — died Monday following a 17-year battle with cancer. She was 61.

Fredriksson’s management company, Dimberg Jernberg Management, confirmed her death. Her Roxette bandmate, Per Gessle, also issued a statement on social media and via Dimberg Jernberg, saying, “Time goes by so quickly. It’s not that long ago we spent days and nights in my tiny apartment in Halmstad, listening to music we loved, sharing impossible dreams. And what a dream we eventually got to share!”

He continued, “Thank you, Marie, thanks for everything. You were an outstanding musician, a master of the voice, an amazing performer. Thanks for painting my black-and-white songs in the most beautiful colors. You were the most wonderful friend for over 40 years. I’m proud, honored, and happy to have been able to share so much of your time, talent, warmth, generosity, and sense of humor. All my love goes out to you and your family. Things will never be the same.”

Fredriksson and Gessle were good friends when they launched Roxette in 1986 and found quick success in Sweden with their debut album, Pearls of Passion, released that same year. International success would soon follow, but it would take a remarkable bit of happenstance for it to come to fruition: An American exchange student studying in Sweden heard the band’s hit “The Look,” bought a copy of 1988’s Look Sharp!, brought it back to the States, and gave it to a DJ in Minneapolis. Soon, “The Look” was Number One on the Billboard Hot 100.

Look Sharp! would produce another U.S. Number One, “Listen to Your Heart,” and a Number Two, “Dangerous,” while the band scored another chart-topper with “It Must Have Been Love” from the Pretty Woman soundtrack. Their 1991 album, Joyride, featured one more Number One, the title track, and another Number Two, “Fading Like a Flower (Every Time You Leave).”

Fredriksson was born May 30th, 1958, in the south of Sweden and began her music career in Halmstad in the late Seventies playing in indie bands like MaMas Barn and Strul, which is how she met Gessle. In 1984, Fredriksson launched a successful solo career with her album, Het vind, and continued to release solo projects even after Roxette became an international phenomenon.

While Roxette’s American success began to dwindle after Joyride, the band’s next four albums — Tourism, Crash! Boom! Bang!, Have a Nice Day, and 2001’s Room Service — all went to Number One in Sweden. One year after the release of Room Service, however, Fredriksson was diagnosed with a brain tumor that required aggressive treatment but was ultimately successful. As she recuperated, Fredriksson began to put her energy toward music, releasing a solo album, The Change, in 2004.

Fredriksson would continue to improve and release more solo music, and by 2009 she was performing live again. That same year, she and Gessle reunited as Roxette, and the duo would go on to tour regularly and release three more albums: 2011’s Charm School, 2012’s Travelling, and 2016’s Good Karma. Fredriksson’s last solo album, Nu!, arrived in 2013.
[Reply]
cron912 11:00 AM 12-10-2019
Hello, you fool, I love you
[Reply]
rabblerouser 11:04 AM 12-10-2019
RIP

She had the look.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:36 AM 12-10-2019
RIP

17 years is a long battle.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 11:42 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
RIP

She had the look.
She listened to her heart
[Reply]
TEX 11:58 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
RIP

17 years is a long battle.
Sure is. She was really cute back in the day and had an awesome voice. I had a major 80's crush on her. May she RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG0IYV6G0I0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCC_...ffIslmNAKzxjCN
[Reply]
loochy 12:12 PM 12-10-2019
Maybe SI should make her Sportsman of the Year.
[Reply]
Dayze 03:27 PM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by loochy:
Maybe SI should make her Sportsman of the Year.
gonna have to get her opinion on US Politics and social justice first.
[Reply]
bobbything 04:05 PM 12-10-2019
This sucks. Joyride really is a good album from start to finish. I still have the actual CD I bought back in middle school.

She had a great voice.
[Reply]
stevieray 06:00 PM 12-10-2019
She was pretty saucy back in the day.

Cool to see she continued to be popular all this time in her home country.

RIP.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:17 PM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by bobbything:
This sucks. Joyride really is a good album from start to finish. I still have the actual CD I bought back in middle school.

She had a great voice.
Both those albums contained as perfect a collection of pop songs as you can get.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 08:21 PM 12-10-2019
I guess her voice won't be carrying now
[Reply]
Eleazar 08:34 PM 12-10-2019
Who?
[Reply]
Holladay 08:54 PM 12-10-2019
This is the first time I have seen some of her vids.

WOW. I knew she was a hottie but I was stationed in Germany and never saw her videos. I just knew her sultry voice and quality of the lyrics and music. I wouldn't have know her just by her name.

Originally Posted by :
Who?
When they said the Roxette singer died, a little bit of mortality set in.

I want to be hit by a cement truck or like Bob Crane, Attila the Hun, Nelson Rockefeller, Errol Flynn, Warren G Harding, David Carradine, Pope John XII, FDR.

She made a lot of people happy and thoughtful.

As a frame of reference, ABBA was also a Swedish band.
[Reply]
stevieray 08:59 PM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
I guess her voice won't be carrying now
....that's Aimee Mann from 'Til Tuesday.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up