ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
The Lounge>SI sportsperson of the year (2019)
Prison Bitch 08:22 AM 12-10-2019





[Reply]
Simply Red 09:56 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
She was arguably the best player and definitive leader on the most successful team in America. She was a visible player that the LGBTQ community and many women rallied around. She also raised the banner on an important equal rights conversation on pay.

What... exactly is the problem? (Other than the rampant sexism and homophobia all over this thread.)
Nothing wrong here - I want to see her butthole
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:57 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I nominate the Bengals employee who caught the Patriots cheating again and blew their entire operation out of the water.
He'll blow about as much as Megan will
[Reply]
HayWire 10:02 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
What... exactly is the problem? (Other than the rampant sexism and homophobia all over this thread.)
Slow down. I have no problem with her sex or sexual preference...I have legitimately never heard of her. If she's done some good things, then good for her. But coming from a major publication (albeit failing one) this just screams "look at me" even from the limited articles I just read.
[Reply]
FringeNC 10:02 AM 12-10-2019
..the Cultural Revolution marches on...
[Reply]
loochy 10:03 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
What... exactly is the problem? (Other than the rampant sexism and homophobia all over this thread.)
She rubs a lot of people the wrong way because she tends to be a bit....grating, harsh, and mouthy.

Originally Posted by Direckshun:
She was arguably the best player and definitive leader on the most successful team in America.
Yes, but that "most successful team" is still relatively low profile when compared to the wider sports world.

Originally Posted by Direckshun:
She was a visible player that the LGBTQ community and many women rallied around.
Shouldn't they pick someone that ALL rallied around?

Originally Posted by Direckshun:
She also raised the banner on an important equal rights conversation on pay.
It really just came off as whining. I think most Americans are definitely in favor of proportional, equal pay. Have you seen any of the findings on the case against the USSF? (Not rhetorical, I'm actually asking because I haven't seen what they decided).
[Reply]
DJJasonp 10:05 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
She was arguably the best player and definitive leader on the most successful team in America. She was a visible player that the LGBTQ community and many women rallied around. She also raised the banner on an important equal rights conversation on pay.

What... exactly is the problem? (Other than the rampant sexism and homophobia all over this thread.)

A nice "headline", but completely false......and it has nothing to do with sexism or phobias (a typical argument when facts outweigh your opinions)

The facts:

Womens soccer surpassed mens recently in revenue generated (roughly 50.5 million to 49 or so for the mens).

The men's team gets 7% share of the FIFA world cup prize pool

The women's team got approximately 23% of the prize pool.

The problem is - the mens prize pool is over 6 billion, while the women's prize pool is around 131 million.


Once again, demand dictates salary (not race, gender, etc. etc.)

Once women's soccer is as popular globally, with, you know, the Messi's, Ronaldo's, English Premiere league, etc etc.......they will be paid accordingly and equally.

Hold your breath.....
[Reply]
MephistophelesJanx 10:05 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by HayWire:
Slow down. I have no problem with her sex or sexual preference...I have legitimately never heard of her.
Others seem to so he likely wasn't talking about you.


Originally Posted by :
If she's done some good things, then good for her. But coming from a major publication (albeit failing one) this just screams "look at me" even from the limited articles I just read.
I literally hate soccer... and still knew who she was withing the sports world and the accomplishments of the team she is captain of. Just because *you* don't recognize her doesn't mean that she isn't deserving of the "honor".
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:05 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by HayWire:
Slow down. I have no problem with her sex or sexual preference...I have legitimately never heard of her. If she's done some good things, then good for her. But coming from a major publication (albeit failing one) this just screams "look at me" even from the limited articles I just read.
I don't think I was referring to you since your one post in this thread was that you never heard of her.

The standards for Sportsman of the Year doesn't have to be sheer visibility. It's fluid, and can introduce a new brand of athletic personality that's had an impact on our culture and has also been incredible on the field of play.

She's been both, in spades.
[Reply]
loochy 10:06 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by HayWire:
Slow down. I have no problem with her sex or sexual preference...I have legitimately never heard of her. If she's done some good things, then good for her. But coming from a major publication (albeit failing one) this just screams "look at me" even from the limited articles I just read.
She's a complete badass on the field, that's for sure. It's just that women's soccer is kinda....meh.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 10:08 AM 12-10-2019
This thread will end up in DC before too long.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:09 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
This thread will end up in DC before too long.
Not soon enough.
[Reply]
Superturtle 10:09 AM 12-10-2019
Yarp^
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:09 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by loochy:
She rubs a lot of people the wrong way because she tends to be a bit....grating, harsh, and mouthy.


Yes, but that "most successful team" is still relatively low profile when compared to the wider sports world.


Shouldn't they pick someone that ALL rallied around?


It really just came off as whining. I think most Americans are definitely in favor of proportional, equal pay.
As I said a moment ago, I don't think sheer visibility should be the standard. Otherwise it would be LeBron every year. I think you balance on field talent with cultural impact, and in that regard I think she definitely registers. Look at all the men all over this thread huffing and puffing.

The fact that some people don't like her actually undercuts your point, I think. Her lightning rod nature on some critical issues, paired with her peerless performance in the world's most popular sport, make her a strong decision by SI.

Fighting for equal pay has literally been branded as "just whining" for as long as the issue has been discussed -- look it up. Introduce some new thoughts that can't just be thrown into the typical kneejerk male counterarguments and I'll hear you out.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 10:13 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
As I said a moment ago, I don't think sheer visibility should be the standard. Otherwise it would be LeBron every year. I think you balance on field talent with cultural impact, and in that regard I think she definitely registers. Look at all the men all over this thread huffing and puffing.

The fact that some people don't like her actually undercuts your point, I think. Her lightning rod nature on some critical issues, paired with her peerless performance in the world's most popular sport, make her a strong decision by SI.

Fighting for equal pay has literally been branded as "just whining" for as long as the issue has been discussed -- look it up. Introduce some new thoughts that can't just be thrown into the typical kneejerk male counterarguments and I'll hear you out.
Your/her narrative of equal pay has already been debunked.

I love soccer. And I'm a fan of both the women and men's teams (hell, I'd root on chess if it's a USA team). I appreciate how good a player rapinoe is. One of the best ever for women's soccer, for sure.

But I cant stand the pay narrative, as it's been debunked over and over again.

When women's soccer is as popular globally as mens, equal pay will come.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:16 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
This thread will end up in DC before too long.
Thatís a shame if so.

SI was the one who brought politics into sports. Itís always one side doing it then saying ďstop being political!Ē when challenged. See: Direckshun
[Reply]
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up