ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 18
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>So today is my birthday...and God talked to me...
InChiefsHell 10:47 AM 12-07-2019
Happy Birthday to me...

TL;DR God will give you a colossal set of balls if you let him.

So, I'm on my way to pick up milk from the farm north of Omaha. I was having a prayer session in my car on the way, thanking God for my 49 years on this earth, for my wife, kids, job, friends...mostly for His love for me. I wondered how I have done with the 49 years I've had, and I wondered what it is that God wants of me for the rest of the time he grants me here on Earth.

I got to the Irvington exit and saw a familiar site. Some guy sitting at the intersection with a sign saying "Lost everything, anything helps". Suddenly, I found myself struggling. I felt there was something I should do here, but I didn't know what. I wound up just going by him through the intersection as I have many times before when seeing such people. Now, I know there is a great deal of fraud among the beggars we see on the side of the road, charlatans who take advantage of the charity of humanity for their own ends. Could be drugs, could be alcohol, gambling, who knows. But as I pulled away, this guy just stuck in my mind. I began to pray again, asking God if that was an opportunity that I had missed.

I got the milk, dropped off a half gallon at my daughter's house, drove to the glass recycling place, and all the while, this dude was on my mind. I began to wonder how many times I've passed up a moment where I could share God's love with another human being...and I realize the answer is probably more times than I could really know.

I got on Maple headed back out to the interstate...and I decided I was hungry and stopped by McDonalds for the 2 sausage egg and cheese sandwiches for 4 bucks deal...and I already knew what it is I would do. I got my food, and headed back out to the interstate...but i went North instead of South. I'm thinking..."OK Lord, I'm gonna do it, if that's what you want. I can't believe I'm doing this, but if you will it, I will do it."
I got off at the Irvington exit, and it looked like the guy was not there anymore. Relief swept over me. At least I tried. At least I had the courage to come back and give it a whirl. Oh well...

Then I saw him. He was still in the same spot, I just couldn't see him till I got further up the exit ramp. Suddenly, I felt emboldened. OK Lord, this is your idea. I pulled over and got out, bringing one of the sandwiches with me and walked towards the guy. He got from his chair and started towards me, taking off the glove on his right hand. We shook hands. He looked to be a little older than me, but not much. And who can really tell, he was wearing a jacket with a hood.

What followed is a little hard to remember. I had a vague idea of what I wanted to say. I asked him his name (Scott) and gave him mine. I asked him what happened to him that made him come beg on the highway. He said he had made mistakes and was taken advantage of by "people", then explained he was disabled, had a horrible pain from his thigh down to his calves, and it made standing for long periods difficult. I asked him where he lived. He said here and there, and that he was currently staying in a friend's basement. Then...I went there. I asked him if he has faith. He said, "well my mom does. Me, I don't know". I explained to him that God does indeed love him, and that he had assigned him a level of dignity that was above what Scott thinks. I told him there is always hope and that he should count his blessings. He has a mother who loves him and prays for him. He has his health, and most importantly, he has a dignity that God gave him that no one can ever take away. I told him I had nothing for him, but if he was hungry I got him a sandwich at McDonalds. He accepted gratefully. I told him I'll pray for him (should have prayed with him on the spot, but I just didn't have the courage for that I guess) and shook his hand again. He thanked me, and then I gave him the "Man Hug", with a slap on the back, and a "God Bless you brutha". He thanked me again and went back to his chair, and I got in my car. The last I saw of him, he was digging in to the sandwich as I drove away.

I found myself crying. Not in despair for Scott, but in absolute joy that Jesus spoke to me, and I listened. And through him I reached out to another of God's creatures and gave him the gift of human contact and true solidarity. Scott has dignity, and God loves him as much as he loves me or any one of us. He could be a fake, he could be taking advantage of people, I could have scolded him, suggested that he get a job or whatever. I don't know. None of us really do, even though we have our predisposed thoughts and assumptions about our fellow man and his motives. But I just pulled over, took some interest in this creation of God, gave him a sandwich and some non-judgemental human contact...and left.

That was my mission. That is what God asked of me today. He will ask more of me, and I hope that I will have the courage to respond. Praise you Jesus!

Scott is all of us. Perhaps maybe, possibly, we could try to keep that in mind in our discourse here on CP. Hey, we can always hope!

Best birthday ever...
[Reply]
kepp 07:29 AM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
Happy Birthday to me...

That was my mission. That is what God asked of me today. He will ask more of me, and I hope that I will have the courage to respond. Praise you Jesus!

Scott is all of us. Perhaps maybe, possibly, we could try to keep that in mind in our discourse here on CP. Hey, we can always hope!

Best birthday ever...
Thanks for sharing this. And don't mind the nay sayers - "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."
[Reply]
NinerDoug 07:49 PM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
Happy Birthday to me...

TL;DR God will give you a colossal set of balls if you let him.

So, I'm on my way to pick up milk from the farm north of Omaha. I was having a prayer session in my car on the way, thanking God for my 49 years on this earth, for my wife, kids, job, friends...mostly for His love for me. I wondered how I have done with the 49 years I've had, and I wondered what it is that God wants of me for the rest of the time he grants me here on Earth.

I got to the Irvington exit and saw a familiar site. Some guy sitting at the intersection with a sign saying "Lost everything, anything helps". Suddenly, I found myself struggling. I felt there was something I should do here, but I didn't know what. I wound up just going by him through the intersection as I have many times before when seeing such people. Now, I know there is a great deal of fraud among the beggars we see on the side of the road, charlatans who take advantage of the charity of humanity for their own ends. Could be drugs, could be alcohol, gambling, who knows. But as I pulled away, this guy just stuck in my mind. I began to pray again, asking God if that was an opportunity that I had missed.

I got the milk, dropped off a half gallon at my daughter's house, drove to the glass recycling place, and all the while, this dude was on my mind. I began to wonder how many times I've passed up a moment where I could share God's love with another human being...and I realize the answer is probably more times than I could really know.

I got on Maple headed back out to the interstate...and I decided I was hungry and stopped by McDonalds for the 2 sausage egg and cheese sandwiches for 4 bucks deal...and I already knew what it is I would do. I got my food, and headed back out to the interstate...but i went North instead of South. I'm thinking..."OK Lord, I'm gonna do it, if that's what you want. I can't believe I'm doing this, but if you will it, I will do it."
I got off at the Irvington exit, and it looked like the guy was not there anymore. Relief swept over me. At least I tried. At least I had the courage to come back and give it a whirl. Oh well...

Then I saw him. He was still in the same spot, I just couldn't see him till I got further up the exit ramp. Suddenly, I felt emboldened. OK Lord, this is your idea. I pulled over and got out, bringing one of the sandwiches with me and walked towards the guy. He got from his chair and started towards me, taking off the glove on his right hand. We shook hands. He looked to be a little older than me, but not much. And who can really tell, he was wearing a jacket with a hood.

What followed is a little hard to remember. I had a vague idea of what I wanted to say. I asked him his name (Scott) and gave him mine. I asked him what happened to him that made him come beg on the highway. He said he had made mistakes and was taken advantage of by "people", then explained he was disabled, had a horrible pain from his thigh down to his calves, and it made standing for long periods difficult. I asked him where he lived. He said here and there, and that he was currently staying in a friend's basement. Then...I went there. I asked him if he has faith. He said, "well my mom does. Me, I don't know". I explained to him that God does indeed love him, and that he had assigned him a level of dignity that was above what Scott thinks. I told him there is always hope and that he should count his blessings. He has a mother who loves him and prays for him. He has his health, and most importantly, he has a dignity that God gave him that no one can ever take away. I told him I had nothing for him, but if he was hungry I got him a sandwich at McDonalds. He accepted gratefully. I told him I'll pray for him (should have prayed with him on the spot, but I just didn't have the courage for that I guess) and shook his hand again. He thanked me, and then I gave him the "Man Hug", with a slap on the back, and a "God Bless you brutha". He thanked me again and went back to his chair, and I got in my car. The last I saw of him, he was digging in to the sandwich as I drove away.

I found myself crying. Not in despair for Scott, but in absolute joy that Jesus spoke to me, and I listened. And through him I reached out to another of God's creatures and gave him the gift of human contact and true solidarity. Scott has dignity, and God loves him as much as he loves me or any one of us. He could be a fake, he could be taking advantage of people, I could have scolded him, suggested that he get a job or whatever. I don't know. None of us really do, even though we have our predisposed thoughts and assumptions about our fellow man and his motives. But I just pulled over, took some interest in this creation of God, gave him a sandwich and some non-judgemental human contact...and left.

Best birthday ever...
Youíre a good guy ICH.

But if Jesus is up there, he wants you to lay off Micky Ds. He wants you around for a while. :-)
[Reply]
stevieray 10:49 PM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by manchambo:
God doesn’t exist. If god did exist, then the answer is that he is at best entirely indifferent to human suffering, or at worst enjoys it.

This proves god as you envision him does not exist. There is not an all powerful being who cares about human suffering, else there would not be so much suffering.

Sure he does.Tthat's why you keep trying to lay the blame of man on him, and ascribe human failings such as a lack of empathy, etc. He doesn't exist but he has feelings and he just doesn't care! Or he digs it!

You're contradicting yourself with a overused, tired and corrupt narrative..

Seen your kind of story too many times. Usually spawned from an abusive parent or someone in the church who hurt you, but good.

It's sad. But it's not God's fault.
[Reply]
manchambo 11:17 PM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Sure he does.Tthat's why you keep trying to lay the blame of man on him, and ascribe human failings such as a lack of empathy, etc. He doesn't exist but he has feelings and he just doesn't care! Or he digs it!

You're contradicting yourself with a overused, tired and corrupt narrative..

Seen your kind of story too many times. Usually spawned from an abusive parent or someone in the church who hurt you, but good.

It's sad. But it's not God's fault.
You actually think this makes sense. Itís sad, but itís not my fault.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 11:19 PM 12-10-2019
GO and Listen/watch the TRUNEWS GODCAST. YouTube it, if they haven't been suspended again. :-)
[Reply]
stevieray 11:31 PM 12-10-2019
Whatever you need to tell yourself.

You only engage in these topics to mock. You're just paying it forward.

You don't have a rebuttal.

Just like those before you.
[Reply]
manchambo 11:57 PM 12-10-2019
Whatever you need to tell yourself.

You only engage in these topics to mock. You're just paying it forward.

You don't have a rebuttal.

Just like those before you.
I’m not mocking anything. I’ve stated a syllogism: if an all powerful, caring god existed, the world would not be full of suffering.

I can’t rebut your question begging because it doesn’t partake of logic.

Your lack of logic is so extreme that you would accuse me of being inconsistent in saying if A, then B, not B, therefore not A. You’d say I was blaming A for not B while at the same time claiming not A.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 12:20 AM 12-11-2019
Iím not mocking anything. Iíve stated a syllogism: if an all powerful, caring god existed, the world would not be full of suffering.

I canít rebut your question begging because it doesnít partake of logic.

Your lack of logic is so extreme that you would accuse me of being inconsistent in saying if A, then B, not B, therefore not A. Youíd say I was blaming A for not B while at the same time claiming not A.
Kids with terminal cancer is just god's way of saying, "I'll see you real soon!" Because he loves them so much.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 04:34 AM 12-11-2019
God doesnít exist. If god did exist, then the answer is that he is at best entirely indifferent to human suffering, or at worst enjoys it.

This proves god as you envision him does not exist. There is not an all powerful being who cares about human suffering, else there would not be so much suffering.
This view denies man free will. To end man's suffering, he would have to strip us of free will. Then all God would be left with is a bunch of robots. The vast majority of mankind's suffering is brought on by mankind itself. More specifically, our sin nature.

Other examples that are not directly our fault such as cancer, hurricanes, etc. etc. are due to this being a fallen world. It's 4:30, gotta leave for work. Enjoy your day everybody :-)
[Reply]
patteeu 05:01 AM 12-11-2019
Weíre you abused as a child?
[Reply]
stevieray 05:44 AM 12-11-2019
I’m not mocking anything..
sure you are, it's all you've done. that's you heart talking.

It's exactly why people like you can't stay away from threads like these.

Hurts too much.
Someone has to pay.

....and you're homosexual too, amirite?

Gay men are trying to fill voids left by neglectful or abusive Fathers through other men.

That's gotta suck , no pun intended.
[Reply]
manchambo 06:50 AM 12-11-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Weíre you abused as a child?
No but thatís another excellent example.
[Reply]
manchambo 06:52 AM 12-11-2019
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
This view denies man free will. To end man's suffering, he would have to strip us of free will. Then all God would be left with is a bunch of robots. The vast majority of mankind's suffering is brought on by mankind itself. More specifically, our sin nature.

Other examples that are not directly our fault such as cancer, hurricanes, etc. etc. are due to this being a fallen world. It's 4:30, gotta leave for work. Enjoy your day everybody :-)
Assuming thatís true, it doesnít explain at all dingoes eating babies, much less dingoes eating baby gazelles.
[Reply]
manchambo 06:55 AM 12-11-2019
sure you are, it's all you've done. that's you heart talking.

It's exactly why people like you can't stay away from threads like these.

Hurts too much.
Someone has to pay.

....and you're homosexual too, amirite?

Gay men are trying to fill voids left by neglectful or abusive Fathers through other men.

That's gotta suck , no pun intended.
Youíre not right. But this is another illustration of the illogic of your worldview. In your view, people are hurt by their parents, this makes them gay, and theyíre punished for being gay.

My dog could administer a more sensible and kinder system.
[Reply]
InChiefsHell 07:14 AM 12-11-2019
I must say, 16 years on this forum, and I am amazed that I didn't see this coming.

Look, ladies and fellas. I have responded to let people know that this was NOT about the sandwich. I was trying to relate how we as humans do not often view other humans as equals. Rather, we decide that we know all about them from their political views, their sex, their religion, whatever. God didn't motivate me to simply give this dude a sandwich. He, through years of faith building in me, motivated me to reach out to another human who I would normally ignore, to make contact with that human, and to share compassion and solidarity.

This was NOT about me. It kinda hurts that some have taken this as a virtue signalling post. Regardless, I'm not sorry for posting it, only that so many on this site and on this planet have such an inability to understand. Perhaps it's my wording or my approach. Anyway, I tried.

I'm not here to engage in some debate about God's existence. I've tried that on here, and it's proven rather fruitless, I've NEVER seen anyone's mind changed. It's the format I guess.

Anyway. All of you, atheist, gay, Christian, white, black, purple...all are beloved creations of God who are worthy of dignity, simply BECAUSE God has assigned it to you since before you were conceived. That's all I was trying to say.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 18
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up