ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 18
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>So today is my birthday...and God talked to me...
InChiefsHell 10:47 AM 12-07-2019
Happy Birthday to me...

TL;DR God will give you a colossal set of balls if you let him.

So, I'm on my way to pick up milk from the farm north of Omaha. I was having a prayer session in my car on the way, thanking God for my 49 years on this earth, for my wife, kids, job, friends...mostly for His love for me. I wondered how I have done with the 49 years I've had, and I wondered what it is that God wants of me for the rest of the time he grants me here on Earth.

I got to the Irvington exit and saw a familiar site. Some guy sitting at the intersection with a sign saying "Lost everything, anything helps". Suddenly, I found myself struggling. I felt there was something I should do here, but I didn't know what. I wound up just going by him through the intersection as I have many times before when seeing such people. Now, I know there is a great deal of fraud among the beggars we see on the side of the road, charlatans who take advantage of the charity of humanity for their own ends. Could be drugs, could be alcohol, gambling, who knows. But as I pulled away, this guy just stuck in my mind. I began to pray again, asking God if that was an opportunity that I had missed.

I got the milk, dropped off a half gallon at my daughter's house, drove to the glass recycling place, and all the while, this dude was on my mind. I began to wonder how many times I've passed up a moment where I could share God's love with another human being...and I realize the answer is probably more times than I could really know.

I got on Maple headed back out to the interstate...and I decided I was hungry and stopped by McDonalds for the 2 sausage egg and cheese sandwiches for 4 bucks deal...and I already knew what it is I would do. I got my food, and headed back out to the interstate...but i went North instead of South. I'm thinking..."OK Lord, I'm gonna do it, if that's what you want. I can't believe I'm doing this, but if you will it, I will do it."
I got off at the Irvington exit, and it looked like the guy was not there anymore. Relief swept over me. At least I tried. At least I had the courage to come back and give it a whirl. Oh well...

Then I saw him. He was still in the same spot, I just couldn't see him till I got further up the exit ramp. Suddenly, I felt emboldened. OK Lord, this is your idea. I pulled over and got out, bringing one of the sandwiches with me and walked towards the guy. He got from his chair and started towards me, taking off the glove on his right hand. We shook hands. He looked to be a little older than me, but not much. And who can really tell, he was wearing a jacket with a hood.

What followed is a little hard to remember. I had a vague idea of what I wanted to say. I asked him his name (Scott) and gave him mine. I asked him what happened to him that made him come beg on the highway. He said he had made mistakes and was taken advantage of by "people", then explained he was disabled, had a horrible pain from his thigh down to his calves, and it made standing for long periods difficult. I asked him where he lived. He said here and there, and that he was currently staying in a friend's basement. Then...I went there. I asked him if he has faith. He said, "well my mom does. Me, I don't know". I explained to him that God does indeed love him, and that he had assigned him a level of dignity that was above what Scott thinks. I told him there is always hope and that he should count his blessings. He has a mother who loves him and prays for him. He has his health, and most importantly, he has a dignity that God gave him that no one can ever take away. I told him I had nothing for him, but if he was hungry I got him a sandwich at McDonalds. He accepted gratefully. I told him I'll pray for him (should have prayed with him on the spot, but I just didn't have the courage for that I guess) and shook his hand again. He thanked me, and then I gave him the "Man Hug", with a slap on the back, and a "God Bless you brutha". He thanked me again and went back to his chair, and I got in my car. The last I saw of him, he was digging in to the sandwich as I drove away.

I found myself crying. Not in despair for Scott, but in absolute joy that Jesus spoke to me, and I listened. And through him I reached out to another of God's creatures and gave him the gift of human contact and true solidarity. Scott has dignity, and God loves him as much as he loves me or any one of us. He could be a fake, he could be taking advantage of people, I could have scolded him, suggested that he get a job or whatever. I don't know. None of us really do, even though we have our predisposed thoughts and assumptions about our fellow man and his motives. But I just pulled over, took some interest in this creation of God, gave him a sandwich and some non-judgemental human contact...and left.

That was my mission. That is what God asked of me today. He will ask more of me, and I hope that I will have the courage to respond. Praise you Jesus!

Scott is all of us. Perhaps maybe, possibly, we could try to keep that in mind in our discourse here on CP. Hey, we can always hope!

Best birthday ever...
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:20 PM 12-08-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Almost had a thread that was not sidetracked by politics.
This is a political forum, in case you haven't noticed--even though you keep trying to ignore that reality. Talk about not being "rational."
[Reply]
lewdog 10:37 AM 12-09-2019
You don’t need God to have human compassion.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 11:02 AM 12-09-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
You donít need God to have human compassion.

The fact Humans feel compassion is proof of Gods amazing creation.
[Reply]
Pointer19 11:03 AM 12-09-2019
Originally Posted by Pointer19:
Good job, man. There's a mural outside the soup kitchen in my town that has a line of people in tattered clothes waiting to be served, and Jesus is there among them.

[Reply]
manchambo 12:46 PM 12-09-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
The fact Humans feel compassion is proof of Gods amazing creation.
What does a pack of dingos eating a child alive prove about God's amazing creation?

But on the other hand, once in a while, a sandwich is purchased due to grace.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 12:57 PM 12-09-2019
So god will guide someone to McDonald's, but won't help with a cure for childhood leukemia. Great.
[Reply]
Pointer19 02:36 PM 12-09-2019
Originally Posted by manchambo:
What does a pack of dingos eating a child alive prove about God's amazing creation?

But on the other hand, once in a while, a sandwich is purchased due to grace.
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
So god will guide someone to McDonald's, but won't help with a cure for childhood leukemia. Great.
What's the alternative? We're just living in a world of chaos and random chance that spawned billions of diverse organisms?

If that is the case, how does someone else's faith negatively impact you? The Catholic Church is one of the biggest charitable organizations on the planet.
[Reply]
stevieray 04:55 PM 12-09-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
You donít need God to have human compassion.
You're created in His image, you think God doesn't feel?
[Reply]
manchambo 05:39 PM 12-09-2019
What's the alternative? We're just living in a world of chaos and random chance that spawned billions of diverse organisms?

If that is the case, how does someone else's faith negatively impact you? The Catholic Church is one of the biggest charitable organizations on the planet.
It matters in a general sense because one would like to have an accurate view of reality. It matters in a more specific sense when people try to tell us how to live or act on the basis of their view of reality.

But let's talk about your alternative: there's an infinitely powerful, loving being who exists and cares about what happens to us. The first question we might ask is: where is this being? When Oprah Winfrey wants to let me know she exists, or provide an opinion how I should act, she has no problem doing so. Why wouldn't God do the same? Couldn't he swing by, or call me on the phone, just once, to let me know about it? Couldn't he secure prime-time air-time on a major network?

Let's leave that aside, though, and take for granted that this powerful and loving person would not make him or herself directly known, and assume instead that such a being would make itself known instead through such ambiguous means as the smiles of children and occasional grace sandwiches. Given that ambiguity, is there any evidence in the nature of our world (which this powerful and caring being created) that would suggest something cares about what happens to living things? Not in the slightest. It's Dingoes eating babies, all day, every day.

The thesis is that the most powerful and loving thing imaginable created our world, but there is no direct proof to support that hypothesis, and the circumstantial evidence is entirely against it.

Try a quick exercise: if you were designing a world, how often would babies be eaten alive by ferocious monsters? I guarantee it's substantially less frequently than "all the time."
[Reply]
fan4ever 05:52 PM 12-09-2019
Every once in a while I pick up a sandwich or the like and give it to a person who's pan handling outside of a grocery store or fast food restaurant. Almost never get an appreciative look or a thank you. The response I get most often is they'd prefer a couple of bucks. So now what my wife and I do is donate to St. Mary's Food bank every month. We can't go to church anymore so we kind of consider that our tithing and the money is better spent...my "two cents" for others who've had the same kind of experience in trying to help a homeless person.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 05:55 PM 12-09-2019
It matters in a general sense because one would like to have an accurate view of reality. It matters in a more specific sense when people try to tell us how to live or act on the basis of their view of reality.
Well said. My reality in your world is not real. And you would impose your reality on me.

I have no interest in telling you how to live but I hold out hope that you find Jesus and peace in your life.
[Reply]
stevieray 06:01 PM 12-09-2019

But let's talk about your alternative: there's an infinitely powerful, loving being who exists and cares about what happens to us. The first question we might ask is: where is this being? When Oprah Winfrey wants to let me know she exists, or provide an opinion how I should act, she has no problem doing so. Why wouldn't God do the same? Couldn't he swing by, or call me on the phone, just once, to let me know about it? Couldn't he secure prime-time air-time on a major network?

Let's leave that aside, though, and take for granted that this powerful and loving person would not make him or herself directly known, and assume instead that such a being would make itself known instead through such ambiguous means as the smiles of children and occasional grace sandwiches. Given that ambiguity, is there any evidence in the nature of our world (which this powerful and caring being created) that would suggest something cares about what happens to living things? Not in the slightest. It's Dingoes eating babies, all day, every day.

The thesis is that the most powerful and loving thing imaginable created our world, but there is no direct proof to support that hypothesis, and the circumstantial evidence is entirely against it.

Try a quick exercise: if you were designing a world, how often would babies be eaten alive by ferocious monsters? I guarantee it's substantially less frequently than "all the time."
Try harder.

This is JV level smack.
[Reply]
Jim Hammer 06:16 PM 12-09-2019

Someone's faith or lack of faith doesn't affect me. But it should only be the personal business of that person. When people put their beliefs out in a public forum, others are going to respond to that.
[Reply]
manchambo 07:17 PM 12-09-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Try harder.

This is JV level smack.
Itís not smack. You donít have an explanation for the lack of real evidence of godís existence, or the lack of evidence of any loving control of the world, aside from hand waving and question begging.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:25 PM 12-09-2019
You don’t have an explanation for the lack of real evidence of god’s existence
^false narrative^

And yet here you are, trying to denounce Him in the weakest of fashions.

I can't see Him and he doesn't exist but:

He lets bad things happen

Try harder.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 18
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up