ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>What will Andy do to BEAT man coverage?
UChieffyBugger 08:54 PM 10-09-2019
If Sammy and Tyreek can't play on the next two games? THIS video here has Steve Smith and Ray Lewis talking about it and it doesn't sound pretty :-) .

This is where Andy needs to work his magic otherwise teams will be doing this crap every chance they get.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:50 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
Smh NO-ONE MENTIONED MAHOMES YOU MELON!!..man people can't seem to read a lick around here :-)
The Chiefs left 11 points on the field because of a fumble and a dropped pass.

Please get a clue.

The Chiefs are struggling with man coverage, yes, because it makes it more difficult for their scrub receivers to get open.

It's not destroying the offense by any means.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 09:56 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
The Chiefs left 11 points on the field because of a fumble and a dropped pass.

Please get a clue.

The Chiefs are struggling with man coverage, yes, because it makes it more difficult for their scrub receivers to get open.

It's not destroying the offense by any means.
And how many TD'S had Pat thrown in the last two games? REID needs to come up with better plays to punish those tactics and not just rely on Pat's genius to bail him out.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:59 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
And how many TD'S had Pat thrown in the last two games? REID needs to come up with better plays to punish those tactics and not just rely on Pat's genius to bail him out.
You are aware there was a two-game stretch last season where the same fucking thing happened?

Man coverage is not destroying our offense.

What is:

1. Pass protection.
2. Drops.
3. Turnovers.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:02 PM 10-09-2019
The trick to beating man coverage is mostly on the WR not the play design.

Either the receiver has to run perfect routes or he has to be so fast or so physical that average route running is acceptable.

That's why Tyreek, Sammy and Kelce are so integral to the Chiefs passing attack. Hill is too fast to depend on strict man to man. And trying to press him is problematic because of his speed. So he gets a double team, period.

Sammy and Kelce are fast, but it's their physicality that makes the difference more than speed against man. Both can defeat man press one-on-one most of the time, and have enough size to make covering them downfield a coin toss at best.

The rest of the WR corps is smaller, though Pringle is over 6 feet and 200 lbs., similar to Sammy. But they're all still going to have to run really good routes to get open early.

And we need our WRs to get open early, because the OL can't keep Pat clean for more than about 2 seconds.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:08 PM 10-09-2019
How to beat man coverage: Have ANY top 75 WR's. That's it.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:25 PM 10-09-2019
Beating man gets solved with better receivers. But what about a team like new England that plays man as well as anyone. Can our OL beat a physical defense. Can we run the ball just effectively enough. Are we that confident in our WRs to get off jams given how we've gotten mauled lately. Can we play mistake free football. That's not counting the idea that our defense may force us to play a perfect game on offense. I'm optimistic that this stretch is a wake up call and not a panic button. But I don't think health by itself will cut it.
[Reply]
Clyde Frog 11:29 PM 10-09-2019
Why do we use RANDOM capital words in every thread?
[Reply]
TribalElder 11:40 PM 10-09-2019

[Reply]
dlphg9 11:46 PM 10-09-2019
Man coverage is only working because of these things:

Tyreek Hill out
Sammy Watkins out
Offensive line can't block
Mahomes has to move around alot and has an ankle injury
We seem to have some slippery hands and fumble quite often
Those slippery hands cause our not so good WRs to drop passes
The WRs don't know what they are doing sometimes and run the wrong route
Multiple penalties

Now that I think about it I tend to disagree that man coverage is stopping the offense. We just came off the longest streak ever of 25 point games in a row. There's a reason why no team has ever done it that long before and that's because it's really hard to constantly score that many points.

People keep over reacting to a loss. It's the first time that PMII has had a loss that wasn't solely on the defense. It's going to be fine. That means in 24 games, the offense was partially responsible for a loss one time. If that continues we will be just fine.
[Reply]
New World Order 11:46 PM 10-09-2019
Our starting receivers are out, so we’re obviously going to struggle a bit with man coverage.

The focus of the offense should be giving Mahomes max protection so he can buy time and make plays.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 12:19 AM 10-10-2019
Andy won't do anything to beat man coverage. He will instead decide to forfeit the rest of our games this season because there's no way we can possibly score any points with our receivers getting molested off the line.

It was a good run, but Andy is a relatively green head coach without much of a track record that shows he can make these sorts of adjustments.
[Reply]
Chargem 12:30 AM 10-10-2019
The three obvious answers:

Dial up more mesh concepts. Brett Kollman does an excellent video discussing the air raid offense which covers mesh concepts and how they can beat man on his youtube channel. The Chiefs already use the concept, they just need to dial it up more if they are getting man.

Use more bunch formations, to make it harder for defenders to get hands on receivers at the line and create more rubs.

Get Sammy or Tyreek back and let them beat man with their talent.
[Reply]
Chargem 12:33 AM 10-10-2019
Originally Posted by New World Order:
The focus of the offense should be giving Mahomes max protection so he can buy time and make plays.
I like this answer too. I wonder if we might see more Sherman, then use him in a mix of run blocking, receiving and then also pass blocking in a "max protect" package that still allows for some balance.
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:26 AM 10-10-2019
Andy could get out of his breaks quicker if he lowered his pad and lipid levels.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:23 AM 10-10-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Man coverage is only working because of these things:

Tyreek Hill out
Sammy Watkins out
Offensive line can't block
Mahomes has to move around alot and has an ankle injury
We seem to have some slippery hands and fumble quite often
Those slippery hands cause our not so good WRs to drop passes
The WRs don't know what they are doing sometimes and run the wrong route
Multiple penalties

Now that I think about it I tend to disagree that man coverage is stopping the offense. We just came off the longest streak ever of 25 point games in a row. There's a reason why no team has ever done it that long before and that's because it's really hard to constantly score that many points.

People keep over reacting to a loss. It's the first time that PMII has had a loss that wasn't solely on the defense. It's going to be fine. That means in 24 games, the offense was partially responsible for a loss one time. If that continues we will be just fine.
That doesn't answer the question of whether we're now better built to beat new England this time around. I don't care if we can beat 15 of our opponents this season if we can't beat new England. New England has talent and brains to match up against our talent. I think we can do it but we can't rely purely on the health stuff. Andy can't abandon the run. He can't keep running deep route after deep route. Health doesn't solve things like that.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up