ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 110 of 219
« First < 1060100106107108109110 111112113114120160210 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Science is Cool....
Fish 09:43 PM 05-21-2012
This is a repository for all cool scientific discussion and fascination. Scientific facts, theories, and overall cool scientific stuff that you'd like to share with others. Stuff that makes you smile and wonder at the amazing shit going on around us, that most people don't notice.

Post pictures, vidoes, stories, or links. Ask questions. Share science.

Why should I care?:

[Reply]
jiveturkey 12:26 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by alnorth:
Yeah, scientists as a rule are not very.... "telegenic", to say the least.

Tyson is probably about as good as it gets right now, he's the only serious scientist with enough of a personality and sense of humor to be a frequent guest on evening talk shows.
I also agree with this. Even though he's not perfect he's still getting the job done and getting people interested/excited about science.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:44 PM 03-10-2014
Yeah, scientists as a rule are not very.... "telegenic", to say the least.

Tyson is probably about as good as it gets right now, he's the only serious scientist with enough of a personality and sense of humor to be a frequent guest on evening talk shows.
I've always enjoyed Michiu Kaku and Brian Greene and Brian Cox.
[Reply]
alnorth 12:55 PM 03-10-2014
Cosmos finished 2nd in the 18-49 demo that advertisers care about. (they don't have the ratings yet for the simulcast on the other fox networks if you wanted to add that to big Fox)

What in the hell is resurrection, and why were people watching that?
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:10 PM 03-10-2014
Cosmos finished 2nd in the 18-49 demo that advertisers care about. (they don't have the ratings yet for the simulcast on the other fox networks if you wanted to add that to big Fox)

What in the hell is resurrection, and why were people watching that?
New show on ABC, I haven't watched it yet so I can't tell you much about it, but the early reviews were that it's good.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:52 PM 03-10-2014
I wish there was someone who had read/heard Bryson's book to discuss the differences in approach.

I found his more chronological, Archimedes, Eqypt, Newton, Einstein into modern physics, of course with tons of details and developments in between. He was also more anecdotal and evenhanded with less emphasis on certainty.

Will be interesting to so how Cosmos builds upon previous episodes week to week.
[Reply]
GordonGekko 01:53 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
That Leonard Suskind guy is pretty good too although he is defnitely getting up there in age.

Come to think of it there are a bunch of people who fit the Carl Sagan type mold and are also very entertaining. Tyson is just more 'name brand' than most others.
[Reply]
alnorth 02:24 PM 03-10-2014
They just included the rest of the Cosmos ratings, which actually kinda surprised me. Out of all the people age 18-49 who watched Cosmos, a whopping 1/3 of them watched it on one of the cable Fox networks for some reason instead of on big Fox. That gooses the rating quite a bit for Cosmos, but resurrection still edged it out. (The ratings tonight on national geographic probably should not count, different day, different time)
[Reply]
aturnis 04:18 PM 03-10-2014
Do these numbers include people dvr'ing? I DVR'ed it. Walking dead and all.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 05:01 PM 03-10-2014
Kaku is very good.
[Reply]
Mr. Laz 05:07 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
The only issue i had with Cosmos is the the Spaceship CGI Fest. I didn't like the way it was executed. I could've done with out the emphasis on Neil's imaginary spaceship. Maybe if the CGI was better....but Neil looked so out of place with it.

The way they illustrated Galaxy clusters and Multiverses though.....Mind = Blown.

I got toked up to watch this and i was tripping bawls for a minute.....had never felt so insignificant in my life after watching the way they displayed Galaxies and Multiverses.
I thought you stopped?
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 07:52 PM 03-10-2014
My kids LOVED the show and that's the audience that matters to me. Off to a great start.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 07:53 PM 03-10-2014
New show on ABC, I haven't watched it yet so I can't tell you much about it, but the early reviews were that it's good.
It was outstanding as well.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:45 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
I was pretty disappointed in it. Preachy as all hell. I kind of expect that from Seth MacFarland however.
What exactly was "preachy"?
[Reply]
aturnis 08:51 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
What exactly was "preachy"?
They don't like that religion looks stupid on the whole equation.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:52 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
My kids LOVED the show and that's the audience that matters to me. Off to a great start.
and I'm sure thats NDT goal. To spark the wonder and vastness of science to explore in the next generation.

Bitching about CGI because of its budget and the theater device using the ship is being petty.

NDT has to be one of the smartest persons on the planet. I've met very few highly intelligent people that were not also arrogant. And none that could also host a TV show without coming off as stiff or aloof.

Maybe the haters are pissed off about Pluto?:-)
[Reply]
Page 110 of 219
« First < 1060100106107108109110 111112113114120160210 > Last »
Up