ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Lawrence vs Wilson
RunKC 05:40 PM 03-26-2021
Thought this was a fun exercise since we have no skin in the game and don’t have to worry about a QB until 2037.

Is that gap really as big between these two as it’s made out to be? Lawrence has pedigree but he’s rarely faced adversity and at times (bowl game) he looked like shit. He’s always had it easy.

Wilson has a higher ceiling IMO. He can make throws that Mahomes makes. He can improvise well.

Most people say Lawrence but I think if I was the Jags I’d have to have some conversations about it.

What do you think? Would you at least consider Wilson over Lawrence if you were the GM of the Jags?
[Reply]
The Franchise 05:43 PM 03-26-2021
I’d go Wilson but I wanted Jimmy Clausen. So what the fuck do I know?
[Reply]
kccrow 06:30 PM 03-26-2021
I'd absolutely consider it. I don't know if I'd do it though.

Lawrence is, obviously, a much safer pick. He's been on the big stage every year and played in a Power 5 conference plus he is a great leader. He can make the throws, he can run, etc. As a coach, I wouldn't be worried about winning with Lawrence and I think he's going to consistently be in the conversation amongst the top 10 QBs in the NFL. His floor is like a Matt Stafford or a Matt Ryan to me in terms of he'll be consistently good despite the team around him, but he may not necessarily be that guy that can just will the win by himself but he's really close and you can definitely get to and win a Super Bowl with him.

That said, Wilson has the potential to be elite but comes with a much higher bust factor. He makes great throws off-platform and has a really live arm. That said, he beat up on inferior competition. It's a tough call, for sure. Do you bet on greatness and having that type of QB that can have your team in the playoffs every single year? I'm not entirely sure if I could do it. It's not like it's the QB class Mahomes was in where I thought Mahomes was easily better than any other prospect. that's not the case this year. Lawrence is legit and has the potential to get even better himself.

If I'm betting on my job, I'm taking Lawrence. If I want to bet on winning Super Bowls, I'm taking Wilson, knowing if I miss I'm back in this position again.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 06:32 PM 03-26-2021
I don't like Lawrence, never understood the massive hype. I'm not saying he's bad or won't be a good pro but I don't think he'll be an elite qb.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:25 PM 03-26-2021
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I don't like Lawrence, never understood the massive hype. I'm not saying he's bad or won't be a good pro but I don't think he'll be an elite qb.
It's pretty rare to get a 6'6 athletic pro style QB with a plus arm.

https://twitter.com/SiClancy/status/...4%2Fframe.html
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 04:38 AM 03-27-2021
I've had Wilson over Lawrence for months now.

But it is close.

P.S. Trey Lance is right there too.

3 QBs are close and if Lance goes to 49ers he will be the public perception best 2 to 3 years from now.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:28 AM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I've had Wilson over Lawrence for months now.

But it is close.

P.S. Trey Lance is right there too.

3 QBs are close and if Lance goes to 49ers he will be the public perception best 2 to 3 years from now.
They really aren't close at all. Lance is nothing like the other two.
[Reply]
Dull Tools 08:13 AM 03-29-2021
You have to take Lawrence if you are the Jags GM as if Wilson fails with you you are never getting another job again.

If you take Lawrence and he fails and Wilson hits then people will be more understanding.

The Jets' GM is in a great position. They will get a great QB either way and have no pressure.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:41 AM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by Dull Tools:
You have to take Lawrence if you are the Jags GM as if Wilson fails with you you are never getting another job again.

If you take Lawrence and he fails and Wilson hits then people will be more understanding.

The Jets' GM is in a great position. They will get a great QB either way and have no pressure.
The Jets have some pressure. The drafting of Sam Darnold looms large. Another top pick bust would be bad. But I agree, they're in a sweet spot relative to this QB class.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:49 AM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The Jets have some pressure. The drafting of Sam Darnold looms large. Another top pick bust would be bad. But I agree, they're in a sweet spot relative to this QB class.
and they can move Darnold too. Somebody'll flip a 3rd or something for him. If you can't grab one of Lawrence or Wilson, I'd say that trying to rehab Darnold would be worth a shot.
[Reply]
O.city 10:06 AM 03-29-2021
Lawrence is about as clean of a QB prospect as youre gonna get.

Wilson has some upside for sure, but there were some off field questions IIRC.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:15 AM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
and they can move Darnold too. Somebody'll flip a 3rd or something for him. If you can't grab one of Lawrence or Wilson, I'd say that trying to rehab Darnold would be worth a shot.
Oh for sure, they have options.

I'm just saying that not without any pressure at all. Whatever decision they make, it really needs to work out or the heat will be right back on.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:26 AM 03-29-2021
They really aren't close at all. Lance is nothing like the other two.
Lance is a better prospect than Josh Allen was coming out.

Throwing velocity slight edge to Allen.

Accuracy, deep ball, anticipation is Lance.

Lance goes 3rd or 4th overall. He's QB 1 from this class if he goes to those spots in fantasy dynasty.

Lawrence will be hanging with the 🦕Dinosaurs in Jax with Bevell.

Wilson is really good but it is the Jets.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:33 AM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Lance is a better prospect than Josh Allen was coming out.

Throwing velocity slight edge to Allen.

Accuracy, deep ball, anticipation is Lance.

Lance goes 3rd or 4th overall. He's QB 1 from this class if he goes to those spots in fantasy dynasty.

Lawrence will be hanging with the 🦕Dinosaurs in Jax with Bevell.

Wilson is really good but it is the Jets.
Lance has 17 games of college football total, including playoffs. He was a starter for one season.

That is often a non-starter in the NFL.

I get that he has all the physical tools. His lack of development and experience is a big issue. Yes, he could develop like Allen but let's face it, we're entering year 4 with Allen and he still has issues reading NFL defenses.

People get WAY too wrapped up in athleticism.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:02 PM 03-29-2021
Lance has 17 games of college football total, including playoffs. He was a starter for one season.

That is often a non-starter in the NFL.

I get that he has all the physical tools. His lack of development and experience is a big issue. Yes, he could develop like Allen but let's face it, we're entering year 4 with Allen and he still has issues reading NFL defenses.

People get WAY too wrapped up in athleticism.
This is Bill Parcells QB winner stuff. That was great 30 years ago.

Allen ain't Mahomes, not even close. But he is about to get 40 million plus a year. I'd say that was a successful draft pick.

On games started..
If you are going to have some arbitrary cutoff, have you adjusted for how many games he would have started if not for Covid?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up