ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2854 of 3903
« First < 1854235427542804284428502851285228532854 285528562857285828642904295433543854 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 07:43 AM 08-15-2020
https://twitter.com/j_g_allen/status...244347392?s=21
[Reply]
O.city 07:49 AM 08-15-2020
Hopefully I’m not overwhelming everyone woth all my posts here. I can post less if this bothers anyone
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 08:34 AM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Hopefully I’m not overwhelming everyone woth all my posts here. I can post less if this bothers anyone
Please keep it coming.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:58 AM 08-15-2020
A lot we don’t know about kids but here’s my take so far.

Kids are NOT super spreaders of this like originally though. They can spread it but it’s no where correlated with the viral loads they’re showing (more RNA in kids but that doesn’t equate to spreading ability). Also kids are having less symptoms overall so they spread for a shorter duration than adults.

The next 2 months should tell us a ton about schools and kids spreading.
[Reply]
O.city 09:15 AM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Kids are NOT super spreaders of this like originally though. They can spread it but it’s no where correlated with the viral loads they’re showing (more RNA in kids but that doesn’t equate to spreading ability). Also kids are having less symptoms overall so they spread for a shorter duration than adults.

I think that’s true.

Plus, for me, the trade offs of getting them back in school is just too much (specifically say, 6th grade and under) to not give it the best chance we can.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:17 AM 08-15-2020

It kind of makes sense if you think about it. Can this be spread with no symptoms? Sure. But it's a hell of a lot more likely that droplets are being flung out by coughs and sneezes than by breathing. And kids are less likely to cough and sneeze from it.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:20 AM 08-15-2020
Fuck no. I'd take a million of your post as opposed to a Donger/Pete semantics marathon.
[Reply]
O.city 09:37 AM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It kind of makes sense if you think about it. Can this be spread with no symptoms? Sure. But it's a hell of a lot more likely that droplets are being flung out by coughs and sneezes than by breathing. And kids are less likely to cough and sneeze from it.
It’s just different than our usual influenza dynamics and I’m not sure why yet.
[Reply]
O.city 09:42 AM 08-15-2020
The biggest problem I’ve had with all this is how we based everything on this “novel virus” as being and acting completely different than any other respiratory viruses.

We should have started with “this is how we KNOW” other respiratory viruses act/spread/etc so the assumption is this will be the same. Let’s work back from that.

Instead we had people wiping down food containers and groceries.

Some of that is on scientific people putting out things without truly defining it for people with non scientific backgrounds. But my bigger issue is those without any background reading stuff and running with it without truly understanding or looking into it.

They see things like “this lives for x amount of hours on this surface” and think they need to bathe in bleach. When in reality, “living on” and “being transmissible” are two different things .

Again, some of that is on the people writing it, but for fucks sake, take some time to read and digest info you read.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:20 AM 08-15-2020

I would love to be wrong, but I think we are going to find out that kids get this and transmit it just like everyone else. Kind of like they do with the cold (another coronavirus) and the flu. The little rugrats are always spreading shit. :-) The good thing so far is doesn't appear they get the worst symptoms for the vast majority anyway.

There is still a ton of unanswered questions about covid and it will probably be years before we have a good understanding of it's total effects especially long term.
[Reply]
kgrund 10:24 AM 08-15-2020
The biggest problem I’ve had with all this is how we based everything on this “novel virus” as being and acting completely different than any other respiratory viruses.

We should have started with “this is how we KNOW” other respiratory viruses act/spread/etc so the assumption is this will be the same. Let’s work back from that.

Instead we had people wiping down food containers and groceries.

Some of that is on scientific people putting out things without truly defining it for people with non scientific backgrounds. But my bigger issue is those without any background reading stuff and running with it without truly understanding or looking into it.

They see things like “this lives for x amount of hours on this surface” and think they need to bathe in bleach. When in reality, “living on” and “being transmissible” are two different things .

Again, some of that is on the people writing it, but for ****s sake, take some time to read and digest info you read.
Absolutely spot on. We have treated this thing as if it was from Mars from the very beginning.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:28 AM 08-15-2020

BREAKING: Great news.

SalivaDirect received approval this morning from the @US_FDA.

This could be one the first major game changers in fighting the pandemic. Rarely am I this enthusiastic. Here’s why.

Follow if interested.

— Andy Slavitt @ 🏡 (@ASlavitt) August 15, 2020

[Reply]
Hawker007 10:29 AM 08-15-2020
Not sure if this has been posted previously, but there are some thoughts/research that the MMR vaccine is helping younger children either not get COVID or not get as sick from it. I know we all have had this vaccine, but there may be something to how recent the younger kids have gotten it and its effectiveness to limiting the seriousness of the virus.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 10:34 AM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I was just coming to post about it! This is great. The tests are only 88-94% effective but cheap and fast.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:36 AM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I would love to be wrong, but I think we are going to find out that kids get this and transmit it just like everyone else. Kind of like they do with the cold (another coronavirus) and the flu. The little rugrats are always spreading shit. :-) The good thing so far is doesn't appear they get the worst symptoms for the vast majority anyway.

There is still a ton of unanswered questions about covid and it will probably be years before we have a good understanding of it's total effects especially long term.
Currently nothing supports children transmitting this like adults and the high spreaders of this have symptoms and many kids aren’t getting those.

Problem with schools simply could be sheer volume in one space and the fact kids can’t follow social distancing guidelines.
[Reply]
Page 2854 of 3903
« First < 1854235427542804284428502851285228532854 285528562857285828642904295433543854 > Last »
Up