ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let them in?
DaFace 10:30 PM 11-22-2020
Am I the only one who would have preferred we just let them in once it was 1st and Goal from the 1? I trust Mahomes to drive down for the win a hell of a lot more than I trust our defense to get 4 stops in a row.

I'm sure a coach would get destroyed if they did it and made it obvious, but it sure feels like Mahomes changes the equation there.
[Reply]
Nickhead 10:31 PM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Am I the only one who would have preferred we just let them in once it was 1st and Goal from the 1? I trust Mahomes to drive down for the win a hell of a lot more than I trust our defense to get 4 stops in a row.

I'm sure a coach would get destroyed if they did it and made it obvious, but it sure feels like Mahomes changes the equation there.
I thought the same thing :-)
[Reply]
carcosa 10:31 PM 11-22-2020
I wonder if they would have if the clock had gotten to a certain point
[Reply]
TLO 10:31 PM 11-22-2020
Nope - I agree. I'm glad they didn't kill a bunch more clock before scoring, honestly.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 10:32 PM 11-22-2020
Absolutely.

Put the pride aside, and play for the win. I’ll trust Mahomes with time ahead of our defense any day.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:34 PM 11-22-2020
You don't want to shit on your defense's confidence or whatever. At least that's what I've been told.

I would have been fine with Spags just going ultra goddamn aggressive to maybe create a big negative play, which would stop them as long as we used the timeouts. The Raiders can probably still score, but it's not like we told the defense to let them in.
[Reply]
SupDock 10:37 PM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
You don't want to shit on your defense's confidence or whatever. At least that's what I've been told.

I would have been fine with Spags just going ultra goddamn aggressive to maybe create a big negative play, which would stop them as long as we used the timeouts. The Raiders can probably still score, but it's not like we told the defense to let them in.
I think this is the right move.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:38 PM 11-22-2020

I'm on board with that approach.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:39 PM 11-22-2020
I'll admit that I was torn in my hopes. It's nearly impossible to stop any team in the modern area from the 1. When Grandpa Witten jumped and moved them back, it tilted more toward trying to hold them, but even then it's really difficult.

But Mahomes changes the equation on both sides of the ball. He had, what 84 seconds and scored in 56 seconds? With Mahomes, maybe you try to hold them on defense because that gives you two chances to win.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:39 PM 11-22-2020

This. You don't breed a lot of trust and overall goodwill between coaches and players if the players feel like you're quitting on them.

And there was plenty of time. At least if you have the world's most explosive offense . ..
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:40 PM 11-22-2020
I was thinking that very thing at the time - just let them score.

But honestly they almost got a stop. Carr made a crazy throw to Whitten.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:40 PM 11-22-2020
You want to leave MORE time at the end for the Raiders to score? Pat doesn't even need a minute with a timeout or two in his pocket.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:41 PM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'll admit that I was torn in my hopes. It's nearly impossible to stop any team in the modern area from the 1. When Grandpa Witten jumped and moved them back, it tilted more toward trying to hold them, but even then it's really difficult.

But Mahomes changes the equation on both sides of the ball. He had, what 84 seconds and scored in 56 seconds? With Mahomes, maybe you try to hold them on defense because that gives you two chances to win.
Exactly this. Pat's fine. Allowing the D to attempt a stop only INCREASES your probability of winning.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:41 PM 11-22-2020

via GIPHY

[Reply]
petegz28 10:42 PM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:

I think I agree but really had the Refs called what should have been a false start on the play they scored the last TD it might have changed things but I hear where you are coming from.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up