ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock 2/8/21
kccrow 01:06 AM 02-08-2021
Watching the Super Bowl made 2 things clear to me:
1) The NFL appears at times to definitely alter games, even if most games don't offer the same type of blatant bias that this Super Bowl did. I can't lie, this game has seriously affected me to the point where I question bothering to watch. If there's this type of clear-cut agenda in the NFL, then it's obviously the WWE reincarnate. That's not the type of entertainment I'm after. Perhaps I'm overreacting, which leads me to my next point...
2) If the Chiefs are to compete, officials be damned, then they need to fix the offensive line. There is no doubt that this offense REQUIRES two good offensive tackles to function. Pat can do a lot of things, but if pressure can get home off the edge then he's damned.

Restructures/Extensions
Restructure QB Patrick Mahomes and WR Tyreek Hill roster bonuses into signing bonuses
Chiefs ask LT Eric Fisher to take a pay cut to 2 million for 2021 rather than outright cut him, he obliges.
Extend SS Tyrann Mathieu for 3 years.

Re-Sign FAs
OG/T Mike Remmers - 1 year VSB for $1,075,000 and $137,500 bonus that counts against the cap as $ 887,500
DT Mike Pennel - 1 year VSB for $1,075,000 and $137,500 bonus that counts against the cap as $ 887,500
ER Taco Charlton - 1 year VSB for $990,000 and $137,500 bonus that counts against the cap as $ 887,500
WR Byron Pringle - 1 year vet min $920,000
LB Ben Niemann - 1 year vet min $920,000
SS Daniel Sorensen - 2 years, $ 7.5 m

Tenders
CB Charvarius Ward, 2nd Rd RFA Tender at $ 3,422,000
TE Nick Kiezer, ERFA Tender at $675,000
CB DeAndre Baker ERFA Tender at $750,000 (Making an assumption here that him being an ERFA is correct, apparently depends on the contract he signed)

Sign FAs
WR John Ross (CIN) - 1 year vet min $990,000 with incentives up to 2.0 m
SS Lano Hill (SEA) - 1 year vet min for $990,000
WR Rashard Higgins (CLE) - 3 years, $ 20.0 m

Draft

Round 1 | 12 - OT Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
The Chiefs have to address LT for the future in the wake of Eric Fisher's most untimely injury. Darrisaw is a plug-and-play left tackle with outstanding athleticism and great footwork. I have the Chiefs mortgaging a bit of the future to ensure their star QB is protected. They give up their 2021 1st round pick #31, 2022 1st round pick, and 2021 4th round pick to our old friend in San Francisco for their 1st round pick #12
Round 2 | 63 - DE Joe Tryon, Washington
Tryon isn't the most polished player in the DE group but he can absolutely bring the heat off the edge. Once he learns to play consistently with his hand down and set the edge versus the run, he's going to be a dangerous player.
Round 3 | 94 - OG Aaron Banks, Notre Dame
The Chiefs have to move on from experiments on the O-line and start getting some hogs. Banks is a big boy at 330 lbs but he can move extremely well. He won't be the greatest we've ever seen in the screen game, but he can get out there and he can get to the second level. Most importantly, he's nearly impossible to get around inside and is a top-shelf pass blocker that also gets plus movement in the run game.
Round 4 | 140 (Comp) - WR Marquez Stevenson, Houston
I have the Chiefs getting some veteran help at receiver so they don't have to press in the draft. I wish there were the same option at LT but that's not really the case. Stevenson is an electric player that doesn't get a ton of love coming out of Houston.
Round 5 | 171 - OT Adrian Ealy, Oklahoma
Depth is going to be important going forward and I see Ealy as a great swing option at OT.
Round 5 | 175 (Comp) - TE Tre McKitty, Georgia
McKitty is a developmental TE but he has a good chance to contribute as a receiving option while he learns to block in the NFL and gets stronger.
Round 6 | 209 (f/Miami) - LB K.J. Britt, Auburn
I was really impressed by Britt at the senior bowl and he looks like an energetic, passionate depth player that will give you good reps on special teams.

QB: P. Mahomes, C. Henne
RB: C. Edwards-Helaire, Dam. Williams, UDFA

WR: T. Hill, R. Higgins, M. Hardman, M. Stevenson, J. Ross, B. Pringle
TE: T. Kelce, N. Keizer, T. McKitty

LT: C. Darrisaw, A. Ealy
LG: A. Banks, M. Rankin
OC: N. Allegretti, D. Williams
RG: L. Duvernay-Tardif, L. Niang, Y. Durant
RT: M. Schwartz, M. Remmers, L. Niang

DE: F. Clark, T. Charlton
DT: C. Jones, T. Wharton
DT: D. Nnadi, M. Pennel, K. Saunders
DE: J. Tryon, M. Danna, T. Ward

SLB: W. Gay, D. Harris
ILB: A. Hitchens, K. Britt
WLB: B. Niemann, D. O'Daniel

CB: C. Ward, L. Sneed, R. Fenton, T. Keyes, D. Baker
S: T. Mathieu, J. Thornhill, D. Sorensen, L. Hill, A. Watts

K: Butker
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester
[Reply]
kccrow 06:30 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'm not opposed to making moves.

But giving up a king's ransom for a guy like Darrisaw seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Expand on "guy like Darrisaw" because my opinion is that the tackles are Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw and then a drop-off in talent to a tier of Mayfield, Cosmi, Eichenberg before you hit guys that aren't realistic LTs or need development and not really 1st round caliber.

Would I mind any of the latter 3? No, but I think Darrisaw is much more of a sure thing than them. My opinion of course.

And I do want to expand a bit on my above post in the process.

65% (22) of the top 34 left tackles in the NFL by salary were taken in the 1st round (I looked to capture all team's starters).
74% (25) of that group was taken by pick 37 in the draft.
If you want to rely on maybe's the rest plays out like this:
15% (5) taken in round 2 (only 2 of the 5 after 37)
3% (1) in round 3
3% (1) in round 4
3% (1) in round 7
12% (4) as UDFAs

The lowest first round pick was at #26 and the real cutoff seems to be around 23 (1 at 24, 2 at 23, 1 at 22, 1 at 20).

So, if you want a LT, generally you're going to have to move up into the upper 20's at least. So at that point, go get the one you want and pay the price.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:43 PM 02-09-2021
I think you are, in general, making good points about LT, crow.

This also seems to be a unique draft year in that it is deep with talented tackles. I've heard at least one draft guru say there are 8-10 guys who could earn first-round grades in a "normal" tackle draft.

I just chalk that up to good luck for the Chiefs. The year they absolutely need to be able to add a high-quality starting OT to the squad, the position is so deep they may find one in the second round.

I could see taking the best WR or DE in round 1 and then using picks to move up enough in the second to make sure you get your guy in that tier.

Multiple ways to skin the cat, thankfully.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:48 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think you are, in general, making good points about LT, crow.

This also seems to be a unique draft year in that it is deep with talented tackles. I've heard at least one draft guru say there are 8-10 guys who could earn first-round grades in a "normal" tackle draft.

I just chalk that up to good luck for the Chiefs. The year they absolutely need to be able to add a high-quality starting OT to the squad, the position is so deep they may find one in the second round.

I could see taking the best WR or DE in round 1 and then using picks to move up enough in the second to make sure you get your guy in that tier.

Multiple ways to skin the cat, thankfully.
Hey sir, get with the times!

[Reply]
staylor26 06:51 PM 02-09-2021
I’d prefer not to give up a 1st round pick, but I still like this draft and I think Darrisaw could be worth it in the long run.

I’d be very happy with this draft player wise though.

Like duncan, I think trading up in the 2nd after getting a WR or DE might be the ideal move.
[Reply]
kccrow 06:59 PM 02-09-2021
I do wonder about "deep tackle" draft versus "left tackle" draft. I don't see 8-10 NFL left tackles. I see 5 with 3 maybes, at least 2 of which I probably wouldn't consider in round 1.

Ranked in terms of my thoughts they'll be an NFL LT at some point, here's the guys I have pegged.

1. Sewell
2. Slater
3. Darrisaw
4. Mayfield
5. Cosmi
6 Little - He'd be my guy that is most likely of the bottom 3 to be a starting LT and also the most likely to be picked beyond the 1st.
7. Eichenberg - Has a great shot at being a LT on a run-oriented team but expect him to carve out a career as a top-tier RT.
8. Radunz - Might become a starting LT but see the most potential for overpayment.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:13 PM 02-09-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Expand on "guy like Darrisaw" because my opinion is that the tackles are Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw and then a drop-off in talent to a tier of Mayfield, Cosmi, Eichenberg before you hit guys that aren't realistic LTs or need development and not really 1st round caliber.

Would I mind any of the latter 3? No, but I think Darrisaw is much more of a sure thing than them. My opinion of course.

And I do want to expand a bit on my above post in the process.

65% (22) of the top 34 left tackles in the NFL by salary were taken in the 1st round (I looked to capture all team's starters).
74% (25) of that group was taken by pick 37 in the draft.
If you want to rely on maybe's the rest plays out like this:
15% (5) taken in round 2 (only 2 of the 5 after 37)
3% (1) in round 3
3% (1) in round 4
3% (1) in round 7
12% (4) as UDFAs

The lowest first round pick was at #26 and the real cutoff seems to be around 23 (1 at 24, 2 at 23, 1 at 22, 1 at 20).

So, if you want a LT, generally you're going to have to move up into the upper 20's at least. So at that point, go get the one you want and pay the price.
What I meant was moving up that much.

To me, Pennell and Slater at top 5 picks.

Darrisaw and Cosmi are top 15 guys.

None of those 4 are really within reach - it would cost WAY too much to go up and get them.

Mayfield may get to the 20's, he's your best chance at a trade up IMO. And from there you have Eichenberg.

This team has too many needs to trade away multiple first round picks for anybody, let alone a LT when we actually have one on the roster taking up $12M in cap space currently.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:52 PM 02-09-2021
The positions seen as needs, Veach has cobbled together scrubs year-in and year-out or filled with mid-round draft picks. That has been successful.

The one he hasn't had to fill and can't be filled with scrubs (we saw that play out) or mid-round draft picks (I showed you the league results there) is LT. I have zero issues spending two firsts on a franchise LT. He's the 2nd most important player on this team. If you think you can get away spending a 1st and 2nd, then great, but it's going to take at least a 2nd to get where you want to be.

I hate it, I do. I wanted to be banging the board for Bateman. He's a Jeremy Maclin-style receiver that would fit this offense perfectly.

Interestingly, Chad Reuter just put out a mock that seems to align a bit with how I feel about Cosmi and Eichenberg, but we'll see. He has Cosmi at 54 and Eichenberg to us at 63. I don't think either go that late, but I think Cosmi is a late 1 needing some development and Eichenberg may not be a LT. He has Darrisaw at 15 and Mayfield at 20.

Bucky Brooks has Darrisaw at 21 and Mayfield at 29 and also doesn't have Cosmi nor Eichenberg in round 1. Zuerlein put Darrisaw at 13 and doesn't have Mayfield, Cosmi, nor Eichenberg in round 1.

And that's kind of the story I'm seeing alot. Sewell, Slater, Vera-Tucker, Darrisaw, and Mayfield are generally locks as 1st round OL. I usually see Darrisaw 13-15 and Mayfield in the 20-25 range. Vera-Tucker is a wildcard, all over the place from about 11 on down. Sewell and Slater almost always top 10 for both. As for Cosmi and Eichenberg, almost never see them in round 1. Cosmi slips in at the end sometimes and then there are like 2 or 3 that have him at 13-14 which seems to be nowhere near consensus. I just don't know about either of those 2. I like Cosmi okay enough that if he's the last resort then I'm okay. Eichenberg doesn't fit IMO.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:18 PM 02-09-2021
No player outside of a franchise QB is worth that much draft capital.

The last thing we want is a Frank Clark situation on the offensive line. We have too many needs to spend that much.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 11:50 PM 02-09-2021
I think Cosmi could be a steal at the end of the first. He was projected to be a top 10 pick the last few years, but never developed. I think a lot of it had to do with his coaching in college.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:59 AM 02-10-2021
Originally Posted by ntexascardfan:
I think Cosmi could be a steal at the end of the first. He was projected to be a top 10 pick the last few years, but never developed. I think a lot of it had to do with his coaching in college.
It's all going to depend on how the draft breaks. Some of these mocks are really whack.

For example, NBC Sports' latest mock has the Chiefs taking Leatherwood with Cosmi still there. But they also have THREE ILB going in the top 20.

Lance Zeirlein at NFL.com has Cosmi falling into the 2nd but has the Chiefs taking a CB at #31.
[Reply]
Chieftain 07:47 PM 02-13-2021
I would be very happy if Vera-Tucker was available at pick 31. He's a shifty lineman who can play multiple positions and stands out in run protection.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:55 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by Chieftain:
I would be very happy if Vera-Tucker was available at pick 31. He's a shifty lineman who can play multiple positions and stands out in run protection.
He won't be. He'll probably end up top 20 if I had to guess. He'll probably move some guys down towards us though...
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:56 PM 02-14-2021
FYI, to highlight my previous post, I was looking a Zeirlein's latest and he has like FIVE ILB's going in the first now IIRC.

He has more LB's going in the first than OT's.

That simply isn't going to happen.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up