ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 40
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:08 AM 01-25-2021
May have to trade up for one.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 08:21 AM 01-25-2021
Well, this thread became a lot more relevant in a hurry.

If it is a torn achilles (which it sounds like), then Fisher wouldn't even be able to play back to 'Fisher level' till 2022.

Niang coming back helps, but at this point we don't if he's anything more than a JAG or a guy that can actually hold down a starting T spot in the pros competently. IMO, they need to look to FA for a 'bargain' that they can maybe get on a short term deal and also draft one early.

Maybe they get lucky and Mitch comes back next year and is 100% but I'm not holding my breath. Those back injuries are bitches. Ruined John Alt's career. Likely Mitch is either done (as a premier tackle, anyway) or will retire. Fisher I would offer a team friendly extension too. I think he wants to stay and they might be able to get a 'bargain' for him now, due to the injury. He'll obviously be out for 2021, but assuming he progresses normally he should be back and ready to go strong for 2022. Yeah, it's a bit of a risk, but low cap # first year (next year) and then you'd still have him for under market value as the rest of the contract works out. If he's willing to do that, which I think he might be. I think he wants to spend his whole career here. He's mentioned something about it before and who wouldn't want to block for Mahomes knowing he gives you a chance to get to the Bowl every year. I think he stays.

We already needed to give some strong consideration to tackle this off-season. Now we're REALLY gonna have to devote some resources to it.

It is what it is.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:33 AM 01-25-2021
I don't think you can give Fisher an extension until you see him on the field.

Remmers, all of a sudden, becomes a must-re-sign this offseason.
[Reply]
O.city 08:53 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If Fisher doesn’t look like he can make it back at the start of next season,
I think they’ll either ask him to work a team friendly extension or cut him.

Little IS a good fit. His stock has been up and down but he’s solidly in the second round range now.

I’d be cool with grabbing him there. I suspect his stock may rise as draft day nears.
I have a bit of inside info on Fisher, apparently he was planning to retire at the end of this current contract but if the Chiefs were gonna give him another contract I doubt he would. He loves it in KC.
[Reply]
O.city 08:54 AM 01-25-2021
I'd put Niang at LT, look for another RT.

Usually, LT's have to come from pretty early in the draft sadly.
[Reply]
O.city 08:58 AM 01-25-2021
Outside the box thinking, would you look around and see if someone might trade you a LT for 32?

Say if the Lions wanna rebuild fully, see if they'd trade you Decker for 32 and maybe next years 3rd or the Bienemy 3rd?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:03 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'd put Niang at LT, look for another RT.

Usually, LT's have to come from pretty early in the draft sadly.
While I don't disagree with any of this, a kid like Jalen Mayfield is an interesting prospect. I think if he had one more college season he'd likely end up going high in the first. As it is, I think he's a late first/very early 2nd.

Niang I loved when they drafted him; and I kind of think this opt-out was a medical red-shirt for him to heal the hip injury, I really doubt that Veach and Reid were caught off-guard.

Anyway, I'm uncomfortable just handing him the spot. And at any rate, we're going to need TWO offensive tackles just to tread water.

And could use an upgrade or two inside too, especially considering Reiter's a FA and I think Wylie is too?

They don't have to be round one, but typically good OT's come there.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:15 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
most quality LT's are first rounders.
Braden Smith, 2nd round (37)
Dion Dawkins, 2nd round (63)
Andrew Whitworth, 2nd round (55th)
Trent Brown, 7th round
Orlando Brown, Jr., 3rd round (83rd)
La'ell Collins UDFA
Mitchell Schwartz, 2nd round (37)
Terron Armstead, 3rd round (75th)
David Bakhtiar, 4th round (109th)
Taylor Moton, 2nd round (64th)

And that doesn't include guys that were drafted in the 1st but after pick 22 (Duane Brown, Bryan Bulaga, Isaiah Wynn, Anthony Costanzo, Ryan Ramczyk,
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:17 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I think the logic for drafting an OT in the first rd just went up about 50% unfortunately
That's the kind of panic move bad teams do.

They'll do they're due diligence, maybe move around the cap and see what is available in FA as a stop gap.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:18 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I thought maybe at RT.
So how does that help with the loss of Fisher?

You reach for an OT in the 1st with so many other needs and better value available only to plug him in on the right side and still have a gaping hole at LT.

Sorry man, that's just dumb.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:21 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
May have to trade up for one.
No way. Too many needs to do that.
[Reply]
O.city 10:23 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
No way. Too many needs to do that.
LT is up there in importance with QB and pass rushers though. That may outweigh some other needs.

The majority of your LT's come from the first round, so thats gonna have to be figured out one way or another.
[Reply]
O.city 10:24 AM 01-25-2021
I think you could get creative and possibly trade 32 for a currently established LT if you had to. Wonder what the Eagles plans with Dillard are?
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:25 AM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
LT is up there in importance with QB and pass rushers though. That may outweigh some other needs.

The majority of your LT's come from the first round, so thats gonna have to be figured out one way or another.
About half come from the TOP TEN. We're not trading up that high.

The next 25% or so come in around 22-32 in the first. That's always possible.

The last 25% or so come from everywhere else, although the vast majority come in the 2nd round.

If you really want to pick up an OT, the best value move would like to be to trade DOWN, take one in the high 2nd and get back some picks.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:25 AM 01-25-2021
Could Remmers fill in at LT until Fisher comes back? Re-sign Remmers and figure out RT.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 40
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up