ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 18
< 12 345612 > Last »
Media Center>Video Card chat
Mephistopheles Janx 03:06 PM 11-06-2020
I just picked up a new monitor (34" Ultra Wide 1440p 144MHz 1500R Curve Samsung Panel -VA) to replace my 3 monitor setup (24" ASUS 1080p). Now I need a new video card to drive the monitor.

My current rig is:

Intel Core i-7 4770k Processor
32GB DDR3 Memory
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 Motherboard
Radeon RX 570 Video Card

This card is going to struggle to push anything more than low to medium graphics on games with this new monitor. Where I'm torn is the cost of new video cards.

If I'm looking hard enough, I can stumble across an open box 5600 for $200 or $230 new. A 5700 for $320 (open box) or $350 new. But at that point... why would I just not drop another $100 for the 6700 at $449?

Ultimately... that makes the 5700 a non player and I'm left choosing between a 5600 at $230 or a 6700 at $450. I'd rather not spend an extra $220 but I feel like the 6700 would probably be the last video card my current build sees.

Then what about the 20x series by nVidia? By paying a touch more I get Ray Tracing which is cool but I'm not paying for a 2080, for what I would pay for a 2070 I may as well snag one of the new AMD cards. A 2060 is going for $320 new... I don't know that Ray Tracing is worth nearly $100.

Better yet... do any of you fellow nerds have an itch to update and want to sell me their 5k/20x series cards?
[Reply]
TambaBerry 02:20 PM 11-07-2020
Originally Posted by hometeam:
For example, im rocking a 3090, 1440p ultra settings with RT on, in games like watch dog legion im getting 52 fps at 1440p, and that card is literally 4x as powerful in RT performance than a 2060.

To be fair, im getting about 140 fps in Warzone with RT on, but that still translates to something like 30~ fps on a 2060 to one of the better performing RT games.

Get the most raster performance you can for your dollar. And that is likely a 3070 (or a 3080 if you have the lil extra cash), and that gives you an upgrade path later as well. Dont buy one of these last gen cards on the cusp of the new wave if you are looking from a value standpoint.
What cpu are you running? That seems awfully low. I have heard though that cpu bottleneck the new cards at anything lower then 4k
[Reply]
vailpass 02:55 PM 11-07-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Tip: If you want to compare video cards, simply go to Google, and type your comparison, like "AMD 6500 vs. GTX 2080."

Userbenchmark.com normally has an exact performance comparison for every card, along with an average price point. Be sure and compare, and note the price differences.
Sometimes a card can cost $100 more, but not really give you that much actual real world performance increase for what you're using it for. Technically the same goes for CPUs, etc.
Yep. And for a quick and dirty hierarchy with basic benchmarking, Tom's keeps their gpu rankings updated.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4388.html
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 03:33 PM 11-07-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I don't know what AMD is looking like but as far as nVidia, 2060 is about as middle of the road as it gets. There's only the 1650 and 1660 and its Super/TI variants below it.
Where the AMD 5600 XT stacks up in the series

Where it stacks up among modern cards

The more I think about this the more that the 5600XT seems like the right option for the current computer.
[Reply]
hometeam 08:52 AM 11-08-2020
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
What cpu are you running? That seems awfully low. I have heard though that cpu bottleneck the new cards at anything lower then 4k
3900x OCed.

Watch Dogs is a marvel of ray tracing and bad optimization. AMAZING LIGHTING... iiiiity bittty living space.
[Reply]
mdstu 11:50 AM 11-08-2020
I was in a situation like this not too long ago. I wanted to upgrade my gpu on my antiquated travel PC so that I could play Madden 19. I spend about 25 nights a month in a hotel.

I live close to a MicroCenter, so I just checked their open boxes online everyday until found what I wanted. I ended up geting a RX 5700x for $310.

I have no idea where you live, but out of curiosity I checked the inventory in the KC (Brentwood) store. They have a RX 5600x for $280.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/...Search+Results

Also depending how much of a hurry you are in, AMD's 6000 series might be worth waiting on. It looks like the RX 6500x should drop in January for approx $300.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...a2-all-we-know

Edit: The MC link does not go to the Brentwood store. You will have to select the store at the top of the page. FYI.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 02:31 PM 11-08-2020
Originally Posted by mdstu:
I was in a situation like this not too long ago. I wanted to upgrade my gpu on my antiquated travel PC so that I could play Madden 19. I spend about 25 nights a month in a hotel.

I live close to a MicroCenter, so I just checked their open boxes online everyday until found what I wanted. I ended up geting a RX 5700x for $310.

I have no idea where you live, but out of curiosity I checked the inventory in the KC (Brentwood) store. They have a RX 5600x for $280.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/...Search+Results

Also depending how much of a hurry you are in, AMD's 6000 series might be worth waiting on. It looks like the RX 6500x should drop in January for approx $300.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...a2-all-we-know

Edit: The MC link does not go to the Brentwood store. You will have to select the store at the top of the page. FYI.
Newegg had an MSI 5600 XT for $230 after code and $10 MIR two weeks ago and a sale just ended on an ASUS 5600 XT for $249.99 w/free shipping and no sales tax.

I am gonna keep checking but will be pulling the trigger on something by BF/CM. Getting anything bigger than a 5600XT would be something of a waste as I will be picking up whatever is the biggest baddest come time to build the next rig.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 09:51 PM 11-18-2020
I believe I have landed on the best deal I'm gonna find...

$229 with free shipping and no sales tax... but after sending off for a $20 mail in rebate. Plus I get Godfall for free.

Just have to be up and refreshing at midnight to ensure I get one.

/interesting. currently showing as sold out but the sale doesn't begin until the 23rd.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:21 PM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
I believe I have landed on the best deal I'm gonna find...

$229 with free shipping and no sales tax... but after sending off for a $20 mail in rebate. Plus I get Godfall for free.

Just have to be up and refreshing at midnight to ensure I get one.

/interesting. currently showing as sold out but the sale doesn't begin until the 23rd.
That would be a good deal on that card. Looks like they are $290-$300’s range right now at BB and New Egg.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 12:26 AM 11-23-2020
How late is newegg gonna keep me up tonight I wonder...

Waiting for that MSI 5600 XT video card to come up but still showing OOS. I'm hopeful, though, because I've been clicking on other items for the black Friday sale and the updated prices haven't landed. Also, several items say their sale ends in an hour.

It would make sense if they activated their sales by CST as it is in the middle for everyone. It would make sense if they activated their sales by PST because the company is based out of California.

But Mountain Time? I'll keep you all posted... I know you are rooting for me in this.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 02:05 AM 11-23-2020
What absolute bullshit. That card has been listed as OOS for 3 days yet it appears on their BF sale page. Huge let down.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:40 PM 11-23-2020
What absolute bullshit. That card has been listed as OOS for 3 days yet it appears on their BF sale page. Huge let down.
Bummer. It appears the gpu gods and 2020 are not done shitting on us yet. Keep looking though, there are apt to be short restock bursts this week especially starting Thursday. Newegg included.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 09:22 PM 11-28-2020
Well shit... this could be worthwhile.

[Reply]
vailpass 09:36 PM 11-28-2020
Well shit... this could be worthwhile.

Cyber Monday might have some deals on the cards you like. NewEgg always has a lot going on then.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 10:23 PM 11-28-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Cyber Monday might have some deals on the cards you like. NewEgg always has a lot going on then.
I don't expect to find a much better deal than this. The Vega 56 can be biosed with the 64's bios and then overclocked to meet same stats as the Vega 64.

The Vega has serious OC'ing capabilities.

Originally Posted by :
When overclocking PowerColor Vega 56 card with a massive power offset of 242% maximum power, we surpassed the RTX 2070 stock card by 5.2%, reaching 62.7FPS AVG. That's a tremendous jump of 28.5% over the stock Vega 56 card, or 20% over the Red Dragon stock card, possible only through this mod.Oct 24, 2018

[Reply]
vailpass 11:15 PM 11-28-2020
I don't expect to find a much better deal than this. The Vega 56 can be biosed with the 64's bios and then overclocked to meet same stats as the Vega 64.

The Vega has serious OC'ing capabilities.
Cross-card bios flashing? Cool.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 18
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up