ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 31
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Media Center>Disney+: WandaVision
keg in kc 05:06 PM 09-21-2020
I didn't think I wanted to watch this. Then the trailer premiered last night.

[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:12 PM 01-26-2021
I'm not of the contingent that hates the old sitcom pastiche on principle, but we are at or near the point where the narrative needs to start bleeding through.

Right now, they are kind of traipsing a fine line between 'we're doing this to tell a story' and 'we're doing this to show how good our actors are at paying tribute to the evolution of TV entertainment.''

Kind of a parallel to the fine line traipsed between 'why is this happening to these characters' and 'why is this being injected into the Marvel Universe.'

Still fairly certain that resolution of the tension will be soon and rewarding, just that it's time to start paying off.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 02:23 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I'm not of the contingent that hates the old sitcom pastiche on principle, but we are at or near the point where the narrative needs to start bleeding through

Right now, they are kind of traipsing a fine line between 'we're doing this to tell a story' and 'we're doing this to show how good our actors are at paying tribute to the evolution of TV entertainment.''

Kind of a parallel to the fine line traipsed between 'why is this happening to these characters' and 'why is this being injected into the Marvel Universe.'

Still fairly certain that resolution of the tension will be soon and rewarding, just that it's time to start paying off.
My feelings precisely. 3 episodes and only a minute and a half of actual story advancement (which include the moments where "something is amiss", the product placements, and actually showing reality) tell me this show is definitely in the latter category atm.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:26 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
As far as WandaVision, it appears that I'm in the slight minority on CP that actually loves the series.

I like the slow reveal and the attention to detail regarding Classic Sitcom's and their sets. I like that the writers haven't hit us over the head with what's truly happening and for me, it's fun to watch the mystery slowly unravel.

I know that many people, maybe even most people, dig the MCU because of the action set pieces and I don't disagree.

But subtlety and "Out of the Box" writing show to me that the long term future of the MCU is in great hands because there's more to these characters than just wiping out the bad guys.
Agreed. And to be fair, it's not all that dissimilar to how they approached Phase 1-4. Captain America was a period piece, Winter Soldier a spy thriller etc.

Compare the care and attention to detail the MCU is exercising, whether you like it or not, to DCEU, Start Wars 7-9 etc., and while some aspects may not resonate with everybody, care in storytelling typically lends itself to success. Selfishly, in my case, leads to good products which I enjoy consuming.

I'm not of the contingent that hates the old sitcom pastiche on principle, but we are at or near the point where the narrative needs to start bleeding through.

Right, but bear in mind we're still only an hour and a half in. Thanos wasn't revealed until the end of Avengers, which was the 6th movie (not counting Ed Norton Hulk). Rough numbers, if each movie is 90 minutes, Thanos didn't come out until 9 hours in. But it's not like we're in uncharted territory. FFS, we didn't even get to Kings Landing until Episode 3 of Game of Thrones (2 hours in), much less have an idea of where the series was going to go.

We can't expect that here, but I honestly do think this would be received differently if we could binge it. My wife wanted in, so I watched the first three with her, and it is definitely a different animal, without the wait between. Binge culture has really changed the manner in which we perceive media.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 02:30 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

Right, but bear in mind we're still only an hour and a half in. Thanos wasn't revealed until the end of Avengers, which was the 6th movie (not counting Ed Norton Hulk). Rough numbers, if each movie is 90 minutes, Thanos didn't come out until 9 hours in. But it's not like we're in uncharted territory. FFS, we didn't even get to Kings Landing until Episode 3 of Game of Thrones (2 hours in), much less have an idea of where the series was going to go.

We can't expect that here, but I honestly do think this would be received differently if we could binge it. My wife wanted in, so I watched the first three with her, and it is definitely a different animal, without the wait between. Binge culture has really changed the manner in which we perceive media.
True, but while we were waiting for Thanos to show up, we weren't stuck with Iron Man: The Musical to get there.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:35 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
True, but while we were waiting for Thanos to show up, we weren't stuck with Iron Man: The Musical to get there.
That's a fair point.

But I've really enjoyed the episodes thus far. I'm doing my best to try to separate myself from the ADD that permeates the society (rather unsuccessfully) and enjoy the ride.

I get it though.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 02:37 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
That's a fair point.

But I've really enjoyed the episodes thus far. I'm doing my best to try to separate myself from the ADD that permeates the society (rather unsuccessfully) and enjoy the ride.

I get it though.
Honestly I probably wouldn't mind it too much,but I pulled my wife in with me to watch it, and I feel like I need this show to be really good because she isn't too happy that I am making her watch it with me.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:50 PM 01-26-2021
I've seen the "Hollywood is out of ideas" nonsense in this forum for 20+ years, yet when "Hollywood" does something "Outside of the Box", people don't like that, either.

I am absolutely fine with the pace and the homage to Classic Sitcoms because not only is it "Out of the Box" but it allows these excellent actors to really shine in a completely different and somewhat unexpected showcase.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 02:55 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I've seen the "Hollywood is out of ideas" nonsense in this forum for 20+ years, yet when "Hollywood" does something "Outside of the Box", people don't like that, either.

I am absolutely fine with the pace and the homage to Classic Sitcoms because not only is it "Out of the Box" but it allows these excellent actors to really shine in a completely different and somewhat unexpected showcase.
I know I am part of the problem (I recognize the stark originality of this show). I just think 3(+) episodes of what we are getting is a bit gratuitous. But unlike other shows I would have bounced off of by now, I want to reward this effort with my viewership because I want off the wall ideas in my shows (even if they don't always land), and above all, trust in Feige.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:03 PM 01-26-2021
I know I am part of the problem (I recognize the stark originality of this show). I just think 3(+) episodes of what we are getting is a bit gratuitous. But unlike other shows I would have bounced off of by now, I want to reward this effort with my viewership because I want off the wall ideas in my shows (even if they don't always land), and above all, trust in Feige.
That's where I'm at. I'm sure it'll be fun in the end, and I appreciate the originality. That doesn't change the fact that I've largely been bored so far.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:17 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
That's where I'm at. I'm sure it'll be fun in the end, and I appreciate the originality. That doesn't change the fact that I've largely been bored so far.
Marve's original plan was to release The Falcon & Winter Soldier followed by Loki, then WandaVision but due to the pandemic, the only series that had been fully completed was WandaVision, so it arrived first instead of last.

I have a feeling that there would have been a better reception to WandaVision had it been the third Marvel Series on Disney+ as opposed to the first because to date, it's been anything but typical MCU fare.

I think people would have been more tolerant of WV after seeing 12-15 hours of The Falcon & Winter Soldier and Loki.

FYI, Loki has already been renewed for a Season 2.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:29 PM 01-26-2021
I don't think tolerant or disappointed is a fair paradigm, more like

[Reply]
BigBeauford 03:38 PM 01-26-2021
I don't think tolerant or disappointed is a fair paradigm, more like

[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:11 PM 01-28-2021
More promo than spoiler, but don't watch if you don't want to know what Disney wants you to see to get excited for the next episode. . . . :-)

[Reply]
BigBeauford 03:16 PM 01-28-2021
More promo than spoiler, but don't watch if you don't want to know what Disney wants you to see to get excited for the next episode. . . . :-)

Sounds like this episode could be from someone else's POV. Very nice!
[Reply]
KC_Connection 03:36 AM 01-29-2021
I have a feeling some will stop complaining after this one. I personally would have preferred going even further down the rabbit hole of Wanda’s weird sitcom world than shifting to reality this soon but at least there are still mysteries left to be revealed.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 31
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up