ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1233 of 3903
« First < 23373311331183122312291230123112321233 123412351236123712431283133317332233 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 01:43 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Just an FYI that he’s posted more substantive information in this thread than you have in the past 10 years.
That's pretty good considering you've been butchering statistics in this thread for about 3 weeks.
[Reply]
TLO 01:43 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I think they were just needling each other.
Yep
[Reply]
Monticore 01:47 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Yep
The obvious eludes him once again.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 01:48 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

In the same way Singapore was. A pause doesn't mean an end. And R0 below 2 prevents exponential growth and eventually that will yield a long-term decline provided that there is acquired immunity. It becomes 'de facto' social distancing. And with any set of numbers there will be peaks and valleys, but you don't need an R0 below zero for a negative trendline. Again, we've seen enormous declines in incidents of HIV/AIDS over the years, beginning most clearly in the early/mid 90s. Yet we've never had an R0 below 1 for it. It's declined because it was below 2 and inside those trends have been small peaks/valleys.

Sure, but that doesn't speak to the fact that within those specific test groups those peaks have been ripped backwards with little internal logic.

Sure - doesn't change the fact that the initial efforts were throwing darts at a wall and then drawing circles around them.
We've had plateaus for HIV/AIDS because treatment reduces infectiousness, condoms prevent transmission, and the R0 was based upon the virus itself unmitigated. When people are on antiretroviral therapy, use PrEP, or use condoms, the R0 drops.

The imperial model was a series of levels of compliance and the correlation was the same throughout - that flattening a curve pushed it out. So where's the logic there?
If you increase compliance you can reach a threshold where R0 can be reduced to the point where the epidemic cannot sustain itself. It's no different than other assumptions in medicine--a guy that watches his diet and takes his metformin as scheduled will have a lower A1C than someone that is only 50% compliant with their diet and medication.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:51 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I never really cared for bacon.
your a monster. I’ve never really knew you. :-)
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 01:51 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
That's pretty good considering you've been butchering statistics in this thread for about 3 weeks.
Provide an example of a statistic that I have “butchered” in this thread.
[Reply]
TLO 01:54 PM 04-08-2020
From the MO DHSS website:

Missouri numbers yesterday

Cases in Missouri: 3,037

Total Deaths: 53

Patients tested in Missouri (by all labs): approximately 33,820

Missouri numbers today

Cases in Missouri: 3,327

Total Deaths: 58

Patients tested in Missouri (by all labs): approximately 33,820 (not yet updated for April 8th)

This seems to contrast with some of the numbers on like worldomoters as far as deaths go?
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
IHME predicted 7 deaths today so not to far off.
I'm curious why other sites have our death total listed much higher. I tend to trust the DHSS website, but IDK?
Anyone care to speculate on this? Are covidly and worldomoters typically accurate in comparison to other sites?
[Reply]
mlyonsd 01:55 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Has to be an alien.
[Reply]
Dartgod 01:55 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
We're having a discussion in the mod lounge on what type of punishment to mete out for that post.
[Reply]
O.city 01:56 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Just an FYI that he’s posted more substantive information in this thread than you have in the past 10 years.
You just be the real life of the party
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:57 PM 04-08-2020
No - they simply hadn't had their story written yet.

Again, this is the problem with a presumption that putting the brakes on immediately is the answer. It doesn't help you win the battle - it just pauses it.

And in so doing, you're stopping an organic progression that could allow hot spots to emerge and be addressed sequentially - you're forcing everyone onto the same timeline in the hopes that an intervening factor emerges in the interim.

The problem is with the presumption that the most draconian efforts were the best for long-term outcomes. That fast was inherently 'good'.
Not sure this is true. Singapore had been through this before with SARS. It wasnt just the lockdown flattening the curve but also the aggressive tracking of the virus which has helped them.
[Reply]
Monticore 02:00 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
We're having a discussion in the mod lounge on what type of punishment to mete out for that post.
The only time in my life I ever told a women she smelled good was after she had fried up some bacon at home for lunch.

There have been a lot of dumb posts on CP but that has to be a top ten for sure.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:04 PM 04-08-2020
The pads are poppin in here today. You can tell the lockdown is taking a toll and people are taking it out on eachother lol
[Reply]
eDave 02:05 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
The pads are poppin in here today. You can tell the lockdown is taking a toll and people are taking it out on eachother lol
For sure. Which is exactly what this virus wants.

This virus thinks. This virus feels. This virus is concerned with self perservation. Which is great because it means we won't ALL die.

Happy Easter.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:05 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
We've had plateaus for HIV/AIDS because treatment reduces infectiousness, condoms prevent transmission, and the R0 was based upon the virus itself unmitigated. When people are on antiretroviral therapy, use PrEP, or use condoms, the R0 drops.
Absolutely - but not below 1. It's dropped without dying off. It doesn't HAVE to get below 1 to drop. That's all I'm saying - you seem to be suggesting that declines or peaks/valleys are evidence of an inexorable march towards an R0 below 1 - I'm saying we've seen it in a myriad of instances for a myriad of reasons and the end result is virtually never an R0 below 1. Doesn't mean there aren't gains and that they shouldn't be pursued - but an organic die-off isn't the likely scenario at all. Especially not when you consider the global scale and long-term requirements associated w/ a wide enough R0 below 1 to matter in the end (even presuming spread could be reduced that far on smaller levels over shorter timelines).

Originally Posted by :
If you increase compliance you can reach a threshold where R0 can be reduced to the point where the epidemic cannot sustain itself. It's no different than other assumptions in medicine--a guy that watches his diet and takes his metformin as scheduled will have a lower A1C than someone that is only 50% compliant with their diet and medication.
And I again say that this works fine on a spreadsheet and will not work in real life. Because it simply never has for a disease that has gotten this far afield.

I'm not even saying the first 90% of the climb will be impossible (though I expect it'll be damn hard; far beyond what humanity writ large will be willing to endure for the period of time they'll be asked to endure it). I'm saying that last 10% will be. The only way it's truly viable in the real world (as you have been fond of pointing out the difference between in vivo and in vitro results) is if it turns out that the 'moderated' social distancing measures being kicked around by the CDC yield a reduction to that level. I don't actually think they will, but they're at least semi-enforceable over a long enough timeline to actually matter.
[Reply]
Page 1233 of 3903
« First < 23373311331183122312291230123112321233 123412351236123712431283133317332233 > Last »
Up