ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 163
< 12345 67891555105 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:09 AM 10-24-2003
Rumor has it, that this is a pic of the buck that kid killed in Albia IA...taken a year or two ago.

http://forum.prohound.com/viewtopic....ighlight=albia
[Reply]
Radar Chief 07:17 AM 10-24-2003
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Rumor has it, that this is a pic of the buck that kid killed in Albia IA...taken a year or two ago.

http://forum.prohound.com/viewtopic....ighlight=albia
Anna Nichole would be jealous of that rack.
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:19 AM 10-24-2003
I'll be in a tree before the sun comes up through monday....If A buck HALF that size walks under my tree in shooting light, I'll be a happy, happy man.
[Reply]
Bwana 07:25 AM 10-24-2003
Up until the 50 mile per hour winds kicked in last night, it has been in the 80's around here for the last week. (It is Oct right) We have been breaking record highs for days now.:-) Not exactly great hunting weather. I can't even get fired up about going after big game until I see some snow on the ground.

Today, highs in the 50's which is more like it for this time of year. I have been out a few times and doing some scouting and when it does snow, I may leave my wife an 8x10 so she remembers what I look like, and be gone for days. :-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:28 AM 10-24-2003
I"m expecting a cold snap starting tonight...It should get cool enough to get the deer moving and in the mood for love.
[Reply]
Bwana 07:31 AM 10-24-2003
I"m expecting a cold snap starting tonight...It should get cool enough to get the deer moving and in the mood for love.
That would be nice. The deer don't "get in the mood" around here until just before Thanksgiving most of the time. Slow rut around here.:-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:33 AM 10-24-2003
The Rut hasn't started, and probably won't until the first week of Nov....or somewhere in there.....The Prerut should start soon though....the bucks will get "curious", start roaming and sparring a little.

If its too warm, it will be the 2nd week I suppose....A cold snap could probably start it next week.

What do I know.....I'm just a bird watcher anyway.
[Reply]
redbrian 07:36 AM 10-24-2003
Hey Iowanian

What’s this bs I saw in the paper the other day that the tree huggers are keeping you from hunting Dove up in Iowa.
Dove hunting is great sport and they are tasty lil rascals to boot.
[Reply]
ndbbm 07:38 AM 10-24-2003
I cannot wait until the season gets here. Unfortunately, that's not until December 1st, here in PA. I used to go bow hunting but I always used an old re-curved bow with no sights. Needless to say, I didn't shoot shit with that. Nope, i'm more of a rifle/pistol/shotgun hunter. Turkey hunting is awesome too.
[Reply]
Bwana 07:43 AM 10-24-2003
What do I know.....I'm just a bird watcher anyway.
I've had those kind of days.:-)

I remember one elk hunting trip years ago when I had the squirrel from hell jumping from tree to tree raising the roof on me as I tried to put the sneek on some elk. This thing was the Norm Bates of squirrels! It kept jumping from tree to tree following me around the woods for over an hour and warning everything within a mile that there was danger in the woods. It started getting dark and my day was over. At that point in time I was shooting a 7 Mag. :-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 07:49 AM 10-24-2003
Brian, I'd heard that, but didn't pay much attention as I've never hunted doves. I do like shooting pidgeons flying out of hay mows though.

nd,
We're big shotgun hunters too. I don't like slugs flying over my head so much, so I think we're toning down the group hunt this year. I seem to enjoy bow hunting more every year, and shotgun a little less....a little.
[Reply]
ndbbm 07:54 AM 10-24-2003
nd,
We're big shotgun hunters too. I don't like slugs flying over my head so much, so I think we're toning down the group hunt this year. I seem to enjoy bow hunting more every year, and shotgun a little less....a little.
Group hunt? I didn't know yall did such a thing. I'd love to get out of this place for a good hunt sometime. Not saying PA doesn't have a ton of wildlife, but i'm interested in seeing what else is out and about.
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:01 AM 10-24-2003
Shotgun hunting deer is a different game than rifle hunting.

Basically what we do is have "drivers" and "blockers"....

Imagine a timber or series of ravines/trees that funnel down into an open field. We put "blockers" at the ends of the funnels and other places where deer kick out(in small herds)..or bucks kick back every year.....Others scatter in incriments (every 40-50 yards) through a timber, or on each draw....and "push" through.....Pushers can shoot them too, but usually its the blockers that get the action......which is handy, because its usually easy to get trucks there to load the game.

This year, we may try going out on opening day and just catching them in pattern.....and then fill tags the other way.

Its fun, good exercise...and wipes out some of the car crushing, corn eating pests. There are more deer "here" than we know what to do with. Unfortunately for you....out of state deer tags are now $300.....it sucks, and I told the gov as much a month ago.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 08:08 AM 10-24-2003
Originally Posted by Bwana:
I've had those kind of days.:-)

I remember one elk hunting trip years ago when I had the squirrel from hell jumping from tree to tree raising the roof on me as I tried to put the sneek on some elk. This thing was the Norm Bates of squirrels! It kept jumping from tree to tree following me around the woods for over an hour and warning everything within a mile that there was danger in the woods. It started getting dark and my day was over. At that point in time I was shooting a 7 Mag. :-)

7 Mag??? You sure that's enough gun for a squirrel???

:-)
[Reply]
Bwana 08:10 AM 10-24-2003
Originally Posted by PastorMikH:
7 Mag??? You sure that's enough gun for a squirrel???

:-)
That day it was. :-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 163
< 12345 67891555105 > Last »
Up