ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What's your preference?
Chris Jones 94 54.34%
1st round draft pick + $20m of other players 74 42.77%
Some other option I will describe in the thread 3 1.73%
Polls are fun! 2 1.16%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll
Page 7 of 20
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Jones vs. 1st Rounder + $20m
DaFace 11:08 AM 02-18-2020
Obviously this is going to be a key discussion this offseason. On The Athletic's podcast (Time's Ours), Nate Taylor said that he's heard that there are multiple teams out there who would give us a 1st round pick for Jones (assuming we tag and trade him), and possibly more than that.

So just to lay out a simplified version of the options:

Option 1:
Chris Jones (probably around $20m per year)

Option 2:
1st round draft pick (cheap for 4-5 years)
$20m worth of other players

For context on how much other players might cost based on recent free agents we've signed:
Clark - $21m
Mathieu - $14m
Hitchens - $9m
Schwartz - $8m
Okafor - $6m

So...which way do we go?
[Reply]
Bump 03:42 PM 02-18-2020
Chris Jones is such a beast that I cannot vote against trading him or letting him go. If he stays with us and continues the production, he's a hall of famer. But I also understand that if they have to let him go.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 03:48 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
I'd like to see them restructure and keep Sammy Watkins. Keep that young core on offense together for as long as possible. Teams know to beat the Chiefs you need at a minimum 30 (unless Mahomes is playing on one leg). That's tough.

1.) Restructure Sammy
2.) Tag and trade Jones for a first and a third.
3.) Draft Kenneth Murray (Dolphins #23 pick via Jones trade).
4.) Draft JK Dobbins (Chiefs #32 pick).
5.) $20 million saved in cap space from Jones trade and the rest of your draft picks address interior Oline and defense.
If the Chiefs draft Murray at #23 after giving up Jones for that pick, Veach should be shot and pissed on.

Way better prospects at multiple positions than Murray who might not even be a 3 down linebacker.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 03:51 PM 02-18-2020
If Jones was just "very good" and demanded $20 million a year, I think it's tag and trade.

But, Jones is ELITE and hasn't demanded anything yet, and has openly stated that he wants to be here. He needs to be on this team next year.

As an organization we have drafted DT after DT after DT hoping to find an elite talent. We might not draft a comparable replacement for Jones in the next decade.

Until Jones prices himself out of Kansas City, the focus needs to be on keeping him on the roster. I can't believe there are so many people so ready to send him packing.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:56 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Picks 1-15 and another pick? Deal.
Picks 16-32 and another pick? I’m interested but I’d have to see.
2nd rounder and lower? Get ****ed.

This obviously entails us not trading him to the Raiders, Broncos, Chargers or Patriots. I would prefer an NFC team or a bottom tier team like the Dolphins.
^ Nailed it.
[Reply]
Chargem 03:58 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
If Jones was just "very good" and demanded $20 million a year, I think it's tag and trade.

But, Jones is ELITE and hasn't demanded anything yet, and has openly stated that he wants to be here. He needs to be on this team next year.

As an organization we have drafted DT after DT after DT hoping to find an elite talent. We might not draft a comparable replacement for Jones in the next decade.

Until Jones prices himself out of Kansas City, the focus needs to be on keeping him on the roster. I can't believe there are so many people so ready to send him packing.

His market value is definitely in the 18-20m range.

If he was available for 14m, I'd be saying keep him.

Pass rush and pass coverage are both really important. If you blow your wad on Jones and have garbage coverage from corners and linebackers, Jones won't be as effective.

It genuinely blows to lose him, but it looked like the right thing to do as soon as they paid Frank. Sucks that you lose your drafted guy because you paid a FA, but then would we have won it all without both of them on the field for 1 year before Jones became too expensive keep?
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 04:05 PM 02-18-2020
Everyone keeps saying we MUST SIGN HIM without really laying out HOW we’re going to do that.

Jones has elite pass rush, but sub par run instincts. He isn’t elite in both aspects of his game.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 04:06 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
If the Chiefs draft Murray at #23 after giving up Jones for that pick, Veach should be shot and pissed on.

Way better prospects at multiple positions than Murray who might not even be a 3 down linebacker.
We'll agree to disagree. Who would you go after with pick 23? Mahomes is also going to attract some top tier free agent veterans in the coming years that'll take a discount for a chance at a ring. I think its important to keep some cap flexibility to go after them.
[Reply]
Shields68 04:07 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:

Not sure anyone is willing to send him packing for a bag of chips. Multiple picks including a mid 1st rounder is a pretty good haul. Basically we would be getting a Frank Clark haul. Which is interesting in that trade seems to be one of the main reasons that we need to consider about trading Jones.

But I am with you if there is away to keep him for the next two years without tying up 100 million for the next 5 we probably should do it. The defense is not the same without Jones in the middle. Your not going to replace him and would be taking a step back without him.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 04:13 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
We'll agree to disagree. Who would you go after with pick 23? Mahomes is also going to attract some top tier free agent veterans in the coming years that'll take a discount for a chance at a ring. I think its important to keep some cap flexibility to go after them.
To name a few:

D’Andre Swift
Grant Delpit
Xavier McKinney
Trevon Diggs
Josh Jones
Laviska Shenault
[Reply]
58-4ever 04:13 PM 02-18-2020
Unless I get the 20M personally... I'll take Chris Jones. They guy is a one man wrecking crew on the inside.
[Reply]
58-4ever 04:15 PM 02-18-2020
I am wondering if you all would deal Chris Jones for Quenton Nelson and a 3rd round pick?
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 04:27 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
To name a few:

D’Andre Swift
Grant Delpit
Xavier McKinney
Trevon Diggs
Josh Jones
Laviska Shenault
Majority of your list is positions we have locked up for foreseeable future (safety, offensive tackle, WR (if we resign Watkins as I suggested)). Makes no sense.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:28 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by 58-4ever:
I am wondering if you all would deal Chris Jones for Quenton Nelson and a 3rd round pick?
that's a hell nah.

Nelson is a beast of a G, but he's still just a G. You don't win playoff games with difference makers on the OL.
[Reply]
58-4ever 04:30 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
that's a hell nah.

Nelson is a beast of a G, but he's still just a G. You don't win playoff games with difference makers on the OL.
I tend to agree... but it's an interesting scenario if they would do a draft pick.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:31 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by 58-4ever:
I'd rather have the Colts 1st and 3rd, but sure, I'd do that.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 20
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up