ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What's your preference?
Chris Jones 94 54.34%
1st round draft pick + $20m of other players 74 42.77%
Some other option I will describe in the thread 3 1.73%
Polls are fun! 2 1.16%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 20
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Jones vs. 1st Rounder + $20m
DaFace 11:08 AM 02-18-2020
Obviously this is going to be a key discussion this offseason. On The Athletic's podcast (Time's Ours), Nate Taylor said that he's heard that there are multiple teams out there who would give us a 1st round pick for Jones (assuming we tag and trade him), and possibly more than that.

So just to lay out a simplified version of the options:

Option 1:
Chris Jones (probably around $20m per year)

Option 2:
1st round draft pick (cheap for 4-5 years)
$20m worth of other players

For context on how much other players might cost based on recent free agents we've signed:
Clark - $21m
Mathieu - $14m
Hitchens - $9m
Schwartz - $8m
Okafor - $6m

So...which way do we go?
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:28 AM 02-18-2020
1st round pick and $20 million in cap space.

Keep the roster young and flexible around Mahomes. That would be another huge contract on the books.

This is one thing we could really learn from the Patriots. In their prime, they were constantly selling high on players. Besides the rampant cheating, their ability to move players was a huge part of their success.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:30 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief:
I don't view it as a Jones or 20 million option as much as a Jones and an LDT/Watkins/Erving/Sorenson proposition. And I'll take Jones.
I'd personally take $20m in cap space and still dump Watkins and Erving. I'm not quite ready to dump LDT and Sorensen personally.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:31 AM 02-18-2020
Jones is an elite talent. No one will debate that.

I still feel that Clark, Pennel, Nnadi, and Okafor is a well above average DL. Having a bench of Kpassagnon, Saunders, and Speaks gives you solid depth too.

Our defense needs corners (we currently have 2) and more speed at LB.

I’d also like to see the additional money/picks used to upgrade the interior OL. Having any threat of a consistent running game will make Mahomes that much more lethal.
[Reply]
O.city 11:31 AM 02-18-2020
When you look at what guys get on the open market, that 20 million ain't gonna go that far anyway.
[Reply]
notorious 11:33 AM 02-18-2020
Cycle him out and strengthen different parts of the defense with young, cheaper talent.

We need to get out of this thought-process of keeping expensive talent because the team will struggle without one guy.

The only guy this team can't lose is Mahomes. The rest are all moveable pieces.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 11:33 AM 02-18-2020
As others have said... 1st round pick + 3rd rounder. As much as I like Jones, I've seen what happens when a team spends too much on defense. While a good defense is required, the rules changes favor the offense and given some of the bad contracts that the Chiefs have had in the past, I say keep bringing in the fresh talent and let someone else overpay.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:34 AM 02-18-2020
I’ll honestly be happy as long as Veach doesn’t panic in either direction.

Don’t overpay Jones just you keep the band together.

Don’t firesell Jones because you think you can’t afford him.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:35 AM 02-18-2020
If we keep Jones, who exactly are our starting CBs? A rookie and Ward? How about the year following in which Ward is no longer on that cheap undrafted contract of his? What about that goal of giving Pat a real OL (on the interior)?

I reeeeeally want Jones but I also don’t want Orlando fucking Scandrick as one of my starters
[Reply]
notorious 11:37 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
If we keep Jones, who exactly are our starting CBs? A rookie and Ward? How about the year following in which Ward is no longer on that cheap undrafted contract of his? What about that goal of giving Pat a real OL (on the interior)?

I reeeeeally want Jones but I also don’t want Orlando ****ing Scandrick as one of my starters
Exactly.

Dynasties' areas of strength morphs over years as your talent emerges.

Putting all of your eggs in one basket (DLine) is not smart. Trust in your talent evaluation, draft well, and rotate in good players.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:38 AM 02-18-2020
IMVHO I sign Jones. A DL who can gets sacks from the interior (ala Aaron Donald) next to QB are probably the most valuable person on the team.
[Reply]
CervezaChill 11:38 AM 02-18-2020
I thought Chiefs fans would have learnt their lesson having all that cap space warming the bench over the last 2-3 years with Berry and Houston. Also there is no other team one Chris Jones away from competing with the Chiefs at this point.

Probably best not to pay Jones this much especially with Veach showing to have a good eye for talent and drafting smart.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:38 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:

I reeeeeally want Jones but I also don’t want Orlando fucking Scandrick as one of my starters
My hope at CB is that we re-sign Fuller to a reasonable deal to go with Ward and Fenton. Then sign a Breeland-type FA on a 1year prove it deal and draft two more.

Fuller also gives us added depth at safety until Thornhill returns.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:40 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Exactly.

Putting all of your eggs in one basket (DLine) is not smart. Trust in your talent evaluation, draft well, and rotate in good players.
Yeah, this isn’t the Royals trying to make another run in 2016 knowing they won’t be back for awhile anyway.

Now that we’ve won 1, we need a long-term approach. I think Veach has that.
[Reply]
Cosmos 11:42 AM 02-18-2020
Not for a SINGLE first round pick...must be first +.
[Reply]
O.city 11:42 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Exactly.

Dynasties are just so rare in the NFL that shit has to match up well for it to work. I think you probably have cycles where you go more in for a SB, then clean things up and carry on etc.

It's probably time to clean up the cap and go young. It sucks to lose a player like Jones, but it is what it is. I wouldn't give him away by any means though.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 20
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up