ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What's your preference?
Chris Jones 94 54.34%
1st round draft pick + $20m of other players 74 42.77%
Some other option I will describe in the thread 3 1.73%
Polls are fun! 2 1.16%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 20
1 234511 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Jones vs. 1st Rounder + $20m
DaFace 11:08 AM 02-18-2020
Obviously this is going to be a key discussion this offseason. On The Athletic's podcast (Time's Ours), Nate Taylor said that he's heard that there are multiple teams out there who would give us a 1st round pick for Jones (assuming we tag and trade him), and possibly more than that.

So just to lay out a simplified version of the options:

Option 1:
Chris Jones (probably around $20m per year)

Option 2:
1st round draft pick (cheap for 4-5 years)
$20m worth of other players

For context on how much other players might cost based on recent free agents we've signed:
Clark - $21m
Mathieu - $14m
Hitchens - $9m
Schwartz - $8m
Okafor - $6m

So...which way do we go?
[Reply]
DaFace 11:14 AM 02-18-2020
As much as I love Jones, I just can't see how the Chiefs could turn down an offer for him like that. Putting 1/5th of the team's salary into the DL alone seems like it'd force other position groups to be far too weak. So while they theoretically COULD keep Jones, it seems like a better use of funds to let him go, draft a 1st round LBer or similar, and then pay a couple of key contributors in the secondary.
[Reply]
Bewbies 11:14 AM 02-18-2020
Keep Jones. Watch him and Clark wreck shit for 5 more years.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:14 AM 02-18-2020
Said it in the other thread but I need at least what we got for Clark to move Jones. MAYBE a 1st and high 3rd rounder.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:14 AM 02-18-2020
You can either have Chris Jones or what’s in the mystery box?

Chiefs fans: We’ve always wanted a Chris Jones but a mystery box could be anything. It could even be a Chris Jones!
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 11:16 AM 02-18-2020
I don't view it as a Jones or 20 million option as much as a Jones and an LDT/Watkins/Erving/Sorenson proposition. And I'll take Jones.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:16 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
You can either have Chris Jones or what’s in the mystery box?

Chiefs fans: We’ve always wanted a Chris Jones but a mystery box could be anything. It could even be a Chris Jones!
But we know that the box has at least $20m in it. That's the difference.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:17 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
But we know that the box has at least $20m in it. That's the difference.
And you’re having to replace him.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:19 AM 02-18-2020
And you’re having to replace him.
I guess I'd just rather spread the money around. I'd gladly take a slightly worse DL for an improved LBer corps.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 11:19 AM 02-18-2020
I know what I’m getting with Jones if retained. Arguably the best interior D-lineman in the league who consistently makes plays. A fan favourite who loves the city and has his best football in front of him.

I get the allure of a high pick and cap space, but the cap can be manipulated, and not many teams can brag having two elite d-lineman in Jones and Clark that affect the game so much. I prefer the Chiefs retain Jones on a long-term deal. Some cap relief lies ahead in 2021, where Mahomes and Jones’ extensions factor in. By 2021 Veach will have a full complement of picks + arguably some compensatory picks to reload the roster.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:20 AM 02-18-2020
I guess I'd just rather spread the money around. I'd gladly take a slightly worse DL for an improved LBer corps.
Slightly worse? Did you see the drop off in interior pressure against the Texans?
[Reply]
O.city 11:22 AM 02-18-2020
If you can get a good haul, sure.

But i'd expect not to hear you guys who want to trade him and such to not bitch when said rookie DL they draft isn't as good and gets washed out while he learns the position.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:22 AM 02-18-2020
Slightly worse? Did you see the drop off in interior pressure against the Texans?
We got 5 sacks in that game...
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:25 AM 02-18-2020
We got 5 sacks against a team that has a suspect line and a QB that was known for taking sacks.
[Reply]
ChiTown 11:27 AM 02-18-2020
I think we should probably credit our offense with a few of those sacks.....
[Reply]
Page 1 of 20
1 234511 > Last »
Up