ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Squirrels eating wiring
crayzkirk 04:12 PM 12-30-2019
How do I get rid of the squirrels that are eating the wiring and hoses in my car?

Got in my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee to go to the lake the last weekend and it was hard to start. Got is started and immediately smelled strong gasoline. Shut it down to find the hose between the fuel rails was chewed up. While inspecting the rest of the engine compartment, I found one of the air vent hoses was chewed up and the wiring to the front drivers side turn signals was eaten through. Also, the ABS warning light came on which indicates that those wires were probably lunch for some squirrels.

I have a pump BB rifle however I don't want to be shooting it around my cars. I also don't want to put out any sort of poison that might harm other animals.

Traps or put a cup of antifreeze under the hood for them to drink while dining?
[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:39 PM 01-03-2020
Cut down all your trees.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 07:47 PM 01-03-2020

[Reply]
ping2000 07:56 PM 01-03-2020

[Reply]
crayzkirk 11:00 AM 01-16-2020
Evidently this is a known problem with newer cars as they are starting to use soy based insulation on the wiring. Honda makes a capsaicin tape to wrap the wires in. They chewed the harness up where it goes into the firewall; several of the ABS related circuits are open. Suckers ate the wire right up to the connector.

Online search shows using peppermint and keeping the engine compartment detailed. I'm going to try a couple of those pest deterrent ultrasonic boxes under the hood just to see what happens.

I'm not really fond of the taste of squirrel; urban squirrel sounds like a bad idea.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:27 PM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Evidently this is a known problem with newer cars as they are starting to use soy based insulation on the wiring. Honda makes a capsaicin tape to wrap the wires in. They chewed the harness up where it goes into the firewall; several of the ABS related circuits are open. Suckers ate the wire right up to the connector.

Online search shows using peppermint and keeping the engine compartment detailed. I'm going to try a couple of those pest deterrent ultrasonic boxes under the hood just to see what happens.

I'm not really fond of the taste of squirrel; urban squirrel sounds like a bad idea.
Does a 1998 count as a "newer" car though? I would think we would have to be 2010 o4 2015 to be considered "newer".
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 02:57 PM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Does a 1998 count as a "newer" car though? I would think we would have to be 2010 o4 2015 to be considered "newer".
The 2009 and newer have that soy based eco-friendly wiring. They make way more on replacing the wires than they ever do selling you the car. I just went through this shit on the Lexus. Fortunately my insurance covered it. There is an under the hood strobe / ultrasonic device you can hook up to your battery. You can also use 6 mouse traps. One in front, one behind and one on top of your front tires. Peppermint essential oil sprayed under the hood is the 3rd way. It's a huge scam and the courts are siding with the manufacturers which is complete BS. Hope this helps.
[Reply]
Chiefs4TheWin 03:25 PM 01-16-2020
Indian War Elephants should end the madness.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 03:30 PM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
The 2009 and newer have that soy based eco-friendly wiring. They make way more on replacing the wires than they ever do selling you the car. I just went through this shit on the Lexus. Fortunately my insurance covered it. There is an under the hood strobe / ultrasonic device you can hook up to your battery. You can also use 6 mouse traps. One in front, one behind and one on top of your front tires. Peppermint essential oil sprayed under the hood is the 3rd way. It's a huge scam and the courts are siding with the manufacturers which is complete BS. Hope this helps.
I'm going to try all three. Get some mouse traps and load them up with peanut butter. Stick some mothballs in a container under the hood. Clean the engine compartment and spray peppermint oil. Wrap exposed wires with sheathing and the pepper tape.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:09 PM 01-16-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
Not surprised. Big business donates more to campaigns.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 06:29 PM 01-16-2020
I have Ghost Pepper oil that I refine, **** mint oil.....Lick GP oil.... dead squirrel.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 07:47 PM 02-19-2020
An update... I removed the washer bottle so that I could get to the damaged wiring and the next day, the area where the washer bottle was located was full of sticks and leaves. I bought a rodent repeller on Amazon and had a shop light with an LED. Since I have put the LED and the battery powered repeller, no rodent activity is present.

What is really odd is the wires that were chewed. 6 of 7 were related to the ABS system. At this point, I am going to repair the wiring and get some night goggles and kill the squirrels. They are making a nest in my yard. Do I need permission from the city? I mean, they get 1% of my money + all the damn additional taxes.
[Reply]
seclark 07:50 PM 02-19-2020
An update... I removed the washer bottle so that I could get to the damaged wiring and the next day, the area where the washer bottle was located was full of sticks and leaves. I bought a rodent repeller on Amazon and had a shop light with an LED. Since I have put the LED and the battery powered repeller, no rodent activity is present.

What is really odd is the wires that were chewed. 6 of 7 were related to the ABS system. At this point, I am going to repair the wiring and get some night goggles and kill the squirrels. They are making a nest in my yard. Do I need permission from the city? I mean, they get 1% of my money + all the damn additional taxes.
Fuck the city
Kill those squirrels
sec
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:03 PM 02-19-2020
Set up a trail camera and see where the fuckers are coming from. And then follow them back to where they live now and kill them there. You may even see nests in the trees around you. If you didn't live in the city I'd say just fire a few rounds from a 22 into those nests and that'll take care of them.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 08:07 PM 02-19-2020
I just saw these. I am tired of live trapping and hauling away.
Going to give this a try
https://www.automatictrap.com/
The YouTube videos are good entertainment
[Reply]
Mr. Wizard 08:14 PM 02-19-2020
How do I get rid of the squirrels that are eating the wiring and hoses in my car?

Got in my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee to go to the lake the last weekend and it was hard to start. Got is started and immediately smelled strong gasoline. Shut it down to find the hose between the fuel rails was chewed up. While inspecting the rest of the engine compartment, I found one of the air vent hoses was chewed up and the wiring to the front drivers side turn signals was eaten through. Also, the ABS warning light came on which indicates that those wires were probably lunch for some squirrels.

I have a pump BB rifle however I don't want to be shooting it around my cars. I also don't want to put out any sort of poison that might harm other animals.

Traps or put a cup of antifreeze under the hood for them to drink while dining?

Mix 1 part tabasco sauce with 4 parts water. Spray on anything animals like. They will NOT like it again. Our horse liked to unlock the gate. I sprayed it and found our horse with his mouth stuck in the water tank. One of our dogs loves to dig, anywhere I spray this our dog refuses to go.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up