ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Squirrels eating wiring
crayzkirk 04:12 PM 12-30-2019
How do I get rid of the squirrels that are eating the wiring and hoses in my car?

Got in my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee to go to the lake the last weekend and it was hard to start. Got is started and immediately smelled strong gasoline. Shut it down to find the hose between the fuel rails was chewed up. While inspecting the rest of the engine compartment, I found one of the air vent hoses was chewed up and the wiring to the front drivers side turn signals was eaten through. Also, the ABS warning light came on which indicates that those wires were probably lunch for some squirrels.

I have a pump BB rifle however I don't want to be shooting it around my cars. I also don't want to put out any sort of poison that might harm other animals.

Traps or put a cup of antifreeze under the hood for them to drink while dining?
[Reply]
Wilson8 04:48 PM 12-30-2019
We have that problem too. If I leave the trailer or the truck out in drive, the squirrels will chew on stuff. I've had to repair gas lines and wiring. We had a cat for several years and that helped keep the squirrel population down. He was also hell on the bird population. A good fast dog that hates squirrels also helps. A BB gun will work too but you have to be careful your car or neighbor not in line of fire.

Maybe something like an Owl decoy might work. - https://www.amazon.com/Rotating-Scar...42711791&psc=1
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:50 PM 12-30-2019
I had a squirrel that started chewing on my front porch a few years ago. I have no idea why. It's 100 year-old wood and the squirrel liked one particular plank that's right on the front steps. I was starting to wonder how I would stop it, but apparently a hawk or a cat or a car solved the problem for me.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 04:53 PM 12-30-2019
Live trap with bread or corn as bait. Relocate.

.410 more permanent solution.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:56 PM 12-30-2019
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
Live trap with bread or corn as bait. Relocate.

.410 more permanent solution.
Them's good eatin' in your second solution, too. But maybe not after a .410.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 05:01 PM 12-30-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Them's good eatin' in your second solution, too. But maybe not after a .410.
I had the same problem with rabbits chewing the Christmas lights in the bushes this year. They ruined 5 strings of expensive LED lights.

I gave them both options but the trap wasn't enticing enough to them so instead they chose death by firing squad. But hey, I tried to give them an out.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 05:33 PM 12-30-2019
Sacrifice a Patriots fan (the more grizzly the death the better). Said offering will not be missed.

I can't offer any help with the squirrel problem
[Reply]
2112 05:37 PM 12-30-2019
Feral cats. I had about 4 or 5 of them in my neighborhood about 20 years ago and my chipmunk issues went away. They would also leave decapitated squirrels on my front porch as “gifts?”

For chipmunks now I fill up a bucket of water and put sunflower seeds inside it. I lean 2x4’s against the bucket and they climb up and kirplunk, they drown. I don’t have any squirrel problems, but I’m sure I can think of something.
[Reply]
Coogs 05:43 PM 12-30-2019
My internet was not working very well for the last month or so. Especially when the weather was wet. The company sent a worker out to look things over, and it turns out a squirrel (or two) were eating the insulation on the cables, and that was causing the problems when it would get wet, water would seep in, and when it would get cold and freeze, it was messing up my service.
[Reply]
Kman34 06:09 PM 12-30-2019
Soak wires in Antifreeze... Jeez.. This place is slipping...
[Reply]
PHOG 06:59 PM 12-30-2019
.22 Ruger
[Reply]
TinyEvel 07:06 PM 12-30-2019
Sure it’s squirrels and not rats?

Well, here’s a story, I was picking up my Audi from the service at the dealer and just out of curiosity asked the guy “What’s the most expensive repair someone has needed?”

Dude says “$68,000. A guy had an R8 that he only drove once a month for pleasure. Rats chewed through his wire harness, the whole wire harness had to be replaced throughout the car.

FFS
[Reply]
cabletech94 07:36 PM 12-30-2019
Originally Posted by Coogs:
My internet was not working very well for the last month or so. Especially when the weather was wet. The company sent a worker out to look things over, and it turns out a squirrel (or two) were eating the insulation on the cables, and that was causing the problems when it would get wet, water would seep in, and when it would get cold and freeze, it was messing up my service.
job security in my line of work.

get the neighbors' to stop feeding the neighborhood squirrels. problem gone.

but really, get cats. get dogs. shoot 'em. win win win.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 07:39 PM 12-30-2019
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Soak wires in Antifreeze... Jeez.. This place is slipping...
Christ.... I was getting a bit worried there for a minute.
[Reply]
2112 07:41 PM 12-30-2019
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
Sure it’s squirrels and not rats?

Well, here’s a story, I was picking up my Audi from the service at the dealer and just out of curiosity asked the guy “What’s the most expensive repair someone has needed?”

Dude says “$68,000. A guy had an R8 that he only drove once a month for pleasure. Rats chewed through his wire harness, the whole wire harness had to be replaced throughout the car.

FFS
I had a company car for 3 years and my truck sat in my garage for 3 years rarely used. I go to get the air filter replaced and they showed me something was nesting in there.

Also a long time ago I had an f-150 with two gas tanks on it and a short commute. I go to fill up both tanks and there’s a wasp nest inside the lid for one of the tanks lol
[Reply]
seclark 07:48 PM 12-30-2019
Rats, mice squirrels whatever.
Mothballs will keep them away.
Sec
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up